Mizzen staysail for A55

Olivier Beaute

Hello Joerg,

the only purpose of the front mizzen mast halyard is the bosun's chair (as you know, it's better to use a halyard that is inside the mast for climbing up the mast).

See you in April.

Cheers.
Olivier

Joerg Esdorn

Thanks very much, Olivier.  The tack is supposed to be attached to the chainplates for the lower shrouds. I take your point that the mizzen mast wasn't designed for a mizzen staysail and I'm checking with the designer whether it's ok to add one.  I have had the mizzen up in very strong winds on a reach or downwind so I'm hoping that I won't need runners for the mizzen staysail in light air.  I'm figuring that the max for that sail will be below 15 kn TWS in any event.  But even if I need runners, I have the second utiity halyard which I could just rig to the windward cleat aft, right?

I also appreciate your point about the risk of chafe for the halyard.  I am intrigued, however, by the utility halyard on the mizzen that exits the mast forward.  If not for a mizzen staysail, what was it designed to be used for?

Cheers Joerg

PS: I'll be back in LR in April and hope to meet you in person then!

Olivier Beaute

Hello Joerg again,

installing the tack is going to be a challenge too, but you could try to install an eye-bolt on the dodger. Originally, the main sheet tackle was installed there.

Cheers.

Olivier.

Olivier Beaute

Hello Joerg,

the AMEL 55 mizzen mast is not designed to bear a mizzen staysail:
-the front halyard is going out of the mast with a fixed sheave. If you use it as a mizzen staysail halyard, it will chafe on the sheave's edges. You should try to rig an additional halyard, on a swivel pulley, attached with a textile loop to the triatic swage.
-the mast is not fitted with backstays. You will absolutely need to install one running backstay (windward side) when you set the mizzen staysail.
-81 m² seems big (it is 50m² on the AMEL 54) and you will need to drop the sail above 10 knots wind (true)

That said, I agree that a mizzen staysail is a great plus in light winds (beam reach/broad reach), and I'm sure many SM and AMEL 54 owners will agree.

If you are still in La Rochelle next week, I will pay you a visit.

Olivier.

Joerg Esdorn

Happy New Year everyone!  The original sailplan for the 55 does not include a mizzen staysail but the standard spec includes 2 spare halyards on the mizzen, one running forward from the top of the mast.  i have had positive experience with a mizzen staysail on a prior boat so I have obtained a quote for one from Thierry Monge at Incidences sails.  Thierry tells me he’s made this sail for at least one A55.  The sail is big - 81 m2.  Anyone on this forum have a mizzen staysail on a 55?  How useful is it?  How do you run the sheets and tack?

thanks much in advance!

Joerg Esdorn
A55 #53 Kincsem
Currently in La Rochelle