Crack in skegg in line with the lower edge of pintle see photos

Martin Birkhoff

Hi Chris,

I recommend removing the center strap and checking whether it is deformed. If the damage is the result of a large force, the lower rudder mount should also be checked. To reattach the strap cleanly and check the lower rudder mount, it is necessary to pull the rudder. Only this allows to grind away the GRP around the parts and to rebuilt it properly. This is easier to do than it seems.
We had to do this last year, albeit for different reasons. When reassembling, we recommend drilling an additional hole in both sides of the center strap and the skeg (pic strap additional hole) and running a bolt through the skeg. The original fastening bolts are short ones not going through.

Regards
Martin

Mago del Sur - 54#40
on shore Worpswede, Germany

James Alton

Chris,

   I have not yet removed a rudder on an Amel but I am pretty sure that the center strap that you are calling a pintle needs to be removed to drop the rudder.  So I suspect that under the loose putty or glass if it is will be the fasteners that hold the strap to the skeg.  In which case  the part that you see that is loose is just a filler to blend the notches in the skeg for the strap in.  You should verify this with someone more familiar with the rudder but I am pretty sure that this is only a cosmetic issue.

   On other boats that I have worked on that had this center strap which ( wraps around the rudder shaft so can serve has a hinge point.)  This strap seems to serve as a back up bearing to keep the rudder secure in the event of a severe grounding that caused damage to the heel bearing at the bottom of the rudder.

  Let us know what you find out for sure, Oliver or someone that has removed and Amel rudder should know.

Best,

James Alton
SV Sueno
Marmaris, Turkey