Machining AMEL-specific tools in NZ (outhaul puller PLUS wrench for the rudder-post-packing nut)

David Vogel

Hi all,

OK, I have some indicative numbers – it seems only 2 or 3 potentially for the puller for the main-outhaul.

Ross Hickey, SM#356, IntrepidKiwi
Raul Schleier, SM#344, SeaBean

I have no idea yet of the cost, as businesses here in WHargarie are just again winding up for the New year, and hence I also am just starting the contact-research on this. As there will be only 2 or 3 units, I would not expect that it will be worthwhile to go to the trouble (and cost) of establishing a CAD/CAM file for subsequent orders. Although I will research this lightly, I presently expect that whatever we do will be hand-crafted as ‘one-offs’.

I’ll keep you posted once I have an idea of the cost and timings – I’ll go first to the guy who did the copper keel grounding straps (where we did get a small economy of scale, mainly for the freight).

Regarding design details, I will template off what I have seen before on (or as referred to by) this forum, et al.

BTW, I did try a conventional gear-puller for the extracting the axle for the line-handling-winch from the main-outhaul gearbox, and it was simply not up to the task; hence why I am getting a special tool made up.

I am also looking at getting a wrench made up specifically for the packing-nut on the rudder shaft gland. Anyone interested in this???

Best,

David
SM#396, Perigee
Town Basin, Whangarei

From: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of "Ross Hickey & Donna Hammond via groups.io" <southernadventurer@...>
Date: Saturday, 15 January 2022 at 7:54 pm
To: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Machining AMEL-specific tools in NZ

Hi David,

We may also be interested the specific Amel main outhaul winch puller if one can be manufactured. Can you please advise of of cost and design details.

Ross Hickey
SV Intrepid Kiwi
SM2K #356
Currently cruising Turkey
+++

From: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Raul Schleier <raul.schleier@...>
Date: Saturday, 15 January 2022 at 5:21 pm
To: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>

Hi David,
I’d be keen to join in on this if I’m not too late. I just pulled mine borrowing a home made puller from my dock neighbour. I’m planning to service the outhaul shaft regularly from now onwards so that it doesn’t stick but I will still likely need a puller some day.
We’re just down the creek in Marsden Cove Marina if we’re not out
Email: raul “at” seabean.nz
SM2k#344, SeaBean
+++

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Wednesday, January 5, 2022, 2:00 AM, David Vogel <david.vogel@...> wrote:
Calling all SM owners in NZ.

Having done a small run of the copper grounding straps for the grey-water bilge, and been happy with the results, I am now planning on getting some AMEL-specific tools machined - for example, the puller for the main-outhaul line-handling winch/motor/gearbox assembly.

It may be possible to come to some kind of economy-of-scale arrangement with the fabricator/s.  Even if not, if you have any hints or tips on where to go / who to use, I would be interested to hear; or, if you're wanting to bolster your tool-kit with that special nick-knack ...

If you’re interested in getting involved, please get back to me via this forum; I would then plan to take the discussion off-line for resolving the nitty-gritty.

Thanks, and best to all,

David
SM#396, Perigee
Town-Basin, Whangarei

--
Ross Hickey & Donna Hammond
SV Intrepid Kiwi

Mike Longcor (SV Trilogy)

Hi David,

Thanks for this effort. I have a different set up for the main outhaul with my older SM so no need for the special puller. I am, however, very keen on the rudder packing nut wrench.

I have a trace of the Amel specific one that I copied from Rusty on Pitu that has the critical dimensions. Perhaps there's a better file on the forum or maybe another owner will let us borrow one. I never got around to having a shop make one for me. I've got a crude tool that does the job but would very much prefer a proper wrench as mine only grabs two sides of the nut (dangerous!).

Photo of the wrench trace/dimensions attached, which I can get to you in person if needed. I believe the wrench was made of aluminium.

Cheers,
Mike Longcor
SV Trilogy SM23
Opua

From: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Raul Schleier <raul.schleier@...>
Date: Saturday, 15 January 2022 at 5:21 pm
To: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>

[...]

Eric Freedman <kimberlite@...>

You can buy a piece of 1/4 inch aluminum and cut the wrench out with a band saw ; it is very easy.
Just remove the packing nut and use it as a guide.
Attached is a photo of the wrench that I made . Took me an hour a bench grinder and a file to smooth out the aluminum.

To remove the drive pin for the outhaul ,I eventually decided to go cave man on it.
I initially used a grade 9 allen head cap screw to drive the pin out with a 2 1/2 pound sledge hammer. That didn’t work.

I then removed the boom. And laid it on 3 4x4 pieces of wood upside down on the deck. I then used a regular sledgehammer and drove it out. I used the same black grade 9 cap screw. Being a jeweler, I did not whack away at it just forceful taps.
It took about 10 minutes . It only has to move about 1 1/4 inch to slide the key out of the gear in the gearbox.
I did not damage to the gearbox and it has been fine for the last 16 years.

I did clean up the shaft and removed a few thousands of an inch from the sides and front of the key.
I now religiously remove the shaft every 6 months and apply never seize to the shaft.
I have been using the same bolt for 16 years and a gentle tap with a small sledgehammer, it pops right out.
Fair Winds
Eric
Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

From: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Raul Schleier <raul.schleier@...>
Date: Saturday, 15 January 2022 at 5:21 pm
To: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>

[...]

Raul Schleier

Hi David,

Just for your reference…..below is a photo of the puller that I borrowed from my friendly Amel neighbour, Charlie on Gemma.  All credits to him and hopefully I haven’t infringed on his copyright. He said he welded it together from some pieces of steel bars and rods and nuts.  Perhaps not the prettiest thing but I don’t think that was the intention. It can be dismantled and it works which is the most important feature. If I’d owned a welder I’d probably put together a similar contraption.

If you’re still looking for machine shops, I had that little engine/c-drive alignment tool fabricated at BCE Precision Ltd on Port Rd in Whangarei last year (NZD$230 incl GST).  I haven’t tried it yet, but those guys can probably fabricate the puller too.

Cheers

Raul

SM2k #344

David Vogel

Hi Raul,

Re: BCE Precision Ltd on Port Rd in Whangarei,

Great, thanks. Terry from ASM was my first choice, but he is still on Christmas vacation. So I’ll try these guys tomorrow.

Best,

David

From: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Raul Schleier <raul.schleier@...>
Date: Tuesday, 18 January 2022 at 2:53 pm
To: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>

[...]

Keith Tice

Hi David,

I am interested in the rudder packing nut wrench.

Cheers,

Keith Tice
Bikini  SM282
Calvi, France

From: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Raul Schleier <raul.schleier@...>
Date: Saturday, 15 January 2022 at 5:21 pm
To: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>

[...]

<20191101_120306.jpg>

David Vogel

QUICK UPDATE:

Only "official" quote I have been able to obtain thus far for a wrench, machined in SS308, has been over NZD150- (each, for a minimum production run of 4); so I am still researching you find a more acceptable alternative.

I will keep you posted. Thanks to all who have provided info and advice to date (not always seen via this forum).

BTW, I have paid for a CAD/CAM file, which may assist a production run.

Best,

David

JOHN HAYES

Hi David

If you wanted to send me drawings with dimensions and material specification I could try a local engineer here in the Wairarapa who is excellent and reasonable price wise and get a price quote from him

He has manufactured bits for the my santorin

My direct email is johnhayes862@...

Or mobile 021546072

Best
John hayes Nga Waka
Wellington

On 2/02/2022, at 5:31 PM, David Vogel <david.vogel@...> wrote:

QUICK UPDATE:

Only "official" quote I have been able to obtain thus far for a wrench, machined in SS308, has been over NZD150- (each, for a minimum production run of 4); so I am still researching you find a more acceptable alternative.

I will keep you posted. Thanks to all who have provided info and advice to date (not always seen via this forum).

BTW, I have paid for a CAD/CAM file, which may assist a production run.

Best,

David

Eric Freedman <kimberlite@...>

David,
I cut the one I use out of 1/4-inch aluminum with a bandsaw. I used the nut as a template.
Attached is a photo , it is also in Bill's book. It took me about an hour to make , including a drill to make
The hole in the end of the handle. I used a grinder to smooth out the piece and a orbital sander to put the final finish on it.
Total time about one hour.
Fair Winds
Eric
Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Only "official" quote I have been able to obtain thus far for a wrench, machined in SS308, has been over NZD150- (each, for a minimum production run of 4); so I am still researching you find a more acceptable alternative.

I will keep you posted. Thanks to all who have provided info and advice to date (not always seen via this forum).

BTW, I have paid for a CAD/CAM file, which may assist a production run.

Best,

David

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

For the packing nut wrench how about get a piece of flat aluminum out of a engineers scrap bin and spend a  it of time with a cutting wheel on an angle grinder (or a hacksaw), finish it off with a file and sand paper. That's what I would do if my pipe wrench wasn't so effective.
Danny
SM 299
Ocean Pearl

On 02/02/2022 17:31 David Vogel <david.vogel@...> wrote:

QUICK UPDATE:

Only "official" quote I have been able to obtain thus far for a wrench, machined in SS308, has been over NZD150- (each, for a minimum production run of 4); so I am still researching you find a more acceptable alternative.

I will keep you posted. Thanks to all who have provided info and advice to date (not always seen via this forum).

BTW, I have paid for a CAD/CAM file, which may assist a production run.

Best,

David

David Vogel

All good, and that's where I may end up - but thought that a purpose made wrench in SS304 or -316 would be a nice addition in the aft cabin, for those infrequent but necessary jobs.
(Apols for the delay, but for some reason the emails have not been getting through as normal, and I am now needing to be sifting through the backlog to see what's been going on in the forum.)

Alan Leslie

David,
Are your mails sorted now?
Please put me on the list for a packing nut wrench as well as a boom shaft puller.
Thanks
Best
Alan
Elyse SM437, Opua NZ

David Vogel

Hi Alan,

Yes, thanks, the mails are coming through again. For the info of anyone else who finds themselves in a similar situation. I went through the process on the forum website, to stop the emails bouncing. I was also in dialogue with my ISP, to indicate that the IO/AMEL Forum point-of-origin for the emails was a "white" source, and not to be black-listed. I don’t know what changed, but something did, and the emails started to come through again.

I am now catching up with the backlog from the site.

ALAN: I'll put you on the list for both pieces.

ALL >>> STATUS update: YES, I can get the spanner/wrench made, no problem, but the only firm quote thus far gives a cost of over NZD150- (per unit, minimum of four pieces). Various other estimates are between $120- to $220- (each), but with no firm commitment - basically, metal workers here are not hungry for work, there is little competition, so can name their own terms. Anyway, I think $150- is simply untenable. So, I am continuing to try both bigger and smaller machine-shops, in order to find an improvement. I know I could make it myself, and it would be a simple thing, IF I had a workshop and metal working tools at my disposal (like I did when I had a land-base in my home town & country many years ago). All those who permanently live-aboard, or who are in an unfamiliar country, will appreciate that sometimes finding the right supplier can take a surprising amount of time and effort. But it is all the more worthwhile when you do finally 'crack the code'. Once I have something that is both tangible and reasonable, I'll repost an update to finalise numbers.

Best to all,

David
SM#396, Perigee