Super Maramu Heaving To sail combination?

Kevin Schmit

I haven’t had the opportunity to try it yet but thought I’d ask other SM owners what sail combo works best when Heaving To?
--
Kevin & Kristen Schmit
KIANA

Courtney Gorman

Mizzen and staysail if you have one or Mizzen and head sail if you don’t
Cheers 🥂

On Jan 18, 2022, at 12:08 PM, Kevin Schmit <kevschmit64@...> wrote:

I haven’t had the opportunity to try it yet but thought I’d ask other SM owners what sail combo works best when Heaving To?
--
Kevin & Kristen Schmit
KIANA
SM #362

Alan Leslie

Our SM has an inner forestay, we use the staysail and mizzen.
If you don't have a staysail, a partially furled headsail to produce similar windage to the mizzen would work. Too big a headsail will make the bow blow off and turn you around in circles.
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

David Vogel

Greets,

Having tried various combinations with headsail out (various %s, and backed), we always seem to fall off and end up too far off the wind, and may be also broadside to the waves, resulting in more rolling motion. And making way.

Our last attempt upon arrival NZ, I tried 1/3 mizzen out, and backed, with no main or genoa – this seemed to work, but it was only for about an hour in stable wind-se conditions, so cannot yet recommend, but this is where I will start next time.

Best,

David
SM#396, Perigee
NZ

From: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Kevin Schmit <kevschmit64@...>
Date: Wednesday, 19 January 2022 at 5:08 am
To: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Super Maramu Heaving To sail combination?

I haven’t had the opportunity to try it yet but thought I’d ask other SM owners what sail combo works best when Heaving To?
--
Kevin & Kristen Schmit
KIANA
SM #362

PAOLO CUNEO

Hi all,
I experimented heaving to for self training and experimenting more than out of a real necessity. I used the combination headsail rolled up  to a small triangle/mizzen and the combination was acceptable but not entirely stable and, sometimes, the boat was more broadside then desirable. Incidentally, has anybody noticed any chafe on the backed  Genoa sheet after a long period hove to?
Apart from that, I found quite interesting the alternative suggested by David of
Perigee of using solely 1/3 backed mizzen and I’ll try it out on the next opportunity
Paolo Cuneo
SM 454 Whisper

Inviato da iPad

--
Paolo Cuneo
SM 454 Whisper

karkauai

Hi Kevin,
I have hove-to several times in 45-50+ winds and 12-15 ft seas.  I have about 6 ft of Genoa foot out, and 1/3 of the mizzen foot, with the mizzen traveler all the way to windward, and the helm all the way to windward.  I have a new full cockpit enclosure, and carry an inflated RIB on the stern cabin deck.  She rides perpendicular to the wind and waves, sliding directly downwind at about 1.2kts creating an upwind slick that prevents the waves from breaking on the boat. She makes no forward way.

In March 2020 we sailed straight from Antigua to the Chesapeake because of Covid.  Normally a 10-11 day passage, it took us 17 days   We encountered 3 gales with 40+ Northerly winds and were hove-to for a total of 7 days.  She was comfortable enough to get some rest and make hot meals.  Only one small wave slapped the hull in 7 days.

You'll have to experiment since your sails and windage will be a little different from Kristy's.

Kent
SM243

--
Kent & Iris
KRISTY

karkauai

Paolo, yes, you do need chafe protection for the genoa sheet.  I would put a piece of PVC pipe and/or bamboo over the shroud, or permanently attach chafing gear to the sheet.
Kent

--
Kent & Iris
KRISTY