How to get the gearbox from the boom

Willem Kroes

Thank you all for the tips and documentation. My mechanic is infected at the moment by Covid, but I transferred all the information to him and he will do the job the coming week or so when he is recovered.

Best regards,

Willem Kroes

SM2k #351 Kavanga
now in Licata on Sicily

Jose Venegas

Danny,

There are tools that can extract the shaft without the need of sledge hammers. One of them I described and send pictures that can be found in the owners section

Jose
Ipanema SM2K 278

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi all. Re this removall issue
 If the shaft is frozen through neglet and is immovable the best option is to heat with a wide gas torch.This is the least destructive method and very effective. Can be done with boom in place. I wince an behalf of the booms who are pouded with sledge hammers. Once successfully removed my adage of grease being the cheapest spare part comes into play. Thereafter draw the shaft at regular intervals and apply your favourite anti sieze.  Mine is lanocote.
Kind Regards
Danny
SM 299
Ocean Pearl

On 28/01/2022 10:11 Craig Briggs <sangaris68@...> wrote:

Hi Willem,
An option I used was to remove the boom and take it to a machine shop with a proper press and blocking pieces. Easier and less prone to damage from pounding, etc. Plus inexpensive and not difficult at all,
--
Craig Briggs - s/v Sangaris / SN68  Tropic Isle Harbor, FL

Craig Briggs

Hi Willem,
An option I used was to remove the boom and take it to a machine shop with a proper press and blocking pieces. Easier and less prone to damage from pounding, etc. Plus inexpensive and not difficult at all,
--
Craig Briggs - s/v Sangaris / SN68  Tropic Isle Harbor, FL

You need the following from my Amel Book Supplements:
Bill

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550

On Tue, Jan 25, 2022 at 8:16 AM Willem Kroes <kavanga@...> wrote:
Hi all,

The mechanic here in Licata on Sicily was until now not capable to get the gearbox and the motor from the boom. First he tried to push it upwards with a jack and later he tried to pull it using an extractor (made to fit). But without a positive outcome until now. Are there some tricks to be used? Please advise.

Willem Kroes

o/b Kavanga

Amel SM #351

Willem Kroes