LITHIUM BATTERIES - INSURANCE - NIGEL CALDER

Stephen Davis

Hi Dave,

I disclosed everything about Aloha that Topsail asked for, and I have absolutely nothing in the policy which would limit there liability in the event of a fire for any cause. With that said, they are an insurance company, and I would not put anything past them.

Aloha,
Steve SM 72

Kevin Schmit

I notified my insurance broker in September 2021 ( SafeWaters Insurance )of my intention of upgrading my older AGM batteries to Lithium. He checked with my insurance carrier and they told him they’d drop me if I proceeded. I’m hopeful that this changes soon.

Kevin
SY Kiana

--
Kevin & Kristen Schmit
KIANA

david bruce

We also have Topsail and when I consulted with them (4-6 most. ago) about adding lithium batteries I was told by the insurance broker that the underwriter said they were looking into a policy for Lithium batteries and that they would continue to cover us (if we switched to them) HOWEVER if a fire were caused by the lithium batteries, that it would not be a covered loss.  Since I was just inquiring and do not have lithium on Liesse, it was of no matter, but if I were say, the lucky owner of Aloha ;)  I might inquire again specifically asking about coverage for a battery related fire event, just to be sure it would be covered.

Dave Bruce
Liesse
SN006
Preveza, Greece

On 26 Jan 2022, at 6:24 PM, Stephen Davis <flyboyscd@...> wrote:

Thank you for sharing the article.  I installed lithium batteries a little over a year ago, and it has been one of the best upgrades we have done to the boat for our off the grid cruising. We needed new insurance last November, and we’re turned down by the Gowrie Group due to our lithium batteries. I was told they are working on a standard for boats with lithium batteries, but that standard would almost certainly exclude boats with a owner installed system. It seems a shame that a knowledgeable owner is excluded, but an installer who may or may not be as talented would not be. As it turns out, we were able to get good coverage from Topsail, and they have no issues with Lithium.

Regards,
Steve Davis
Aloha SM72, Mazatlan, Mexico

Stephen Davis

Thank you for sharing the article.  I installed lithium batteries a little over a year ago, and it has been one of the best upgrades we have done to the boat for our off the grid cruising. We needed new insurance last November, and we’re turned down by the Gowrie Group due to our lithium batteries. I was told they are working on a standard for boats with lithium batteries, but that standard would almost certainly exclude boats with a owner installed system. It seems a shame that a knowledgeable owner is excluded, but an installer who may or may not be as talented would not be. As it turns out, we were able to get good coverage from Topsail, and they have no issues with Lithium.

Regards,
Steve Davis
Aloha SM72, Mazatlan, Mexico

Vladan SV PAME

Edited

Hi Olivier,

Nice article. But I think that Mastervolt with new generation of MLI batteries already have some certifications that he's mentioning. Also new MLI batteries have active protection for sub-zero temperatures in terms that battery will first heat up before start charging. https://www.mastervolt.com/products/li-ion/mli-24-1250/

As of insurance I have recent written confirmation from Pantaenius and Topsail ( ex. Y Yacht ) that both of them have no issue insuring boat with LiFePO4 upgrade.

Best Regards,

--
Vladan

A54 #157
SV PAME

Matt Salatino

Good article.
I have yet to broach this topic with my insurer, as I’m not converting….yet.
keep in mind, though, that Nigel does have a vested interest in seeing Lithium on boats. He’s part of a company that installs Lithium and charging systems (generator replacement) on boats.

Olivier Beaute

Hello everybody,

in the last issue of Professional Boat Builder (PBB, an online magazine that every sailor should read...), Nigel Calder (see attachment) gives his thoughts about Insurance and Lithium batteries.
Hopefully the coming ISO standard will help the insurers understand and accept the "risk" of Lithium Batteries installations, and help the yacht owners to understand if their new Lithium batteries installation is made in a safe and decent way.
This last issue of PBB also talks a lot about electricity on board. Rather interesting.

Olivier