Lofrans Tigres

rob dillmann

I am replacing my 38 years old Lofrans Tigres. Does anyone know whether Amel used DIN or ISO specifications for the gypsy?
I suppose ISO since these are generally used in southern europe.

Best regards,

Rob Dillmann
Westwind Mango 43

Amel has never used DIN that I know of, but several owners, including me changed the gypsy to DIN.

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550

On Sun, Jan 30, 2022 at 8:34 AM rob dillmann <rob.dillmann@...> wrote:
I am replacing my 38 years old Lofrans Tigres. Does anyone know whether Amel used DIN or ISO specifications for the gypsy?
I suppose ISO since these are generally used in southern europe.

Best regards,

Rob Dillmann
Westwind Mango 43

Bill Kinney

I am surprised you could keep on of these windlasses going so long!  Good job!  I'd be MORE surprised if you have the original 38 year old chain, and, of course, the size of that is really what controls the selection of the gypsy.  Assuming you are looking to match your existing chain...

The Lofrans' gypsy has numbers for the size cast into into it, although they might be a bit hard to see if it has been hauling chain for 38 years. Assuming your current gypsy works well with your current chain, that might be your best guide.

Failing that, it is usually recommended that you use a half meter or so of chain to test a gypsy before purchase, although that is not always possible of course.  Careful measurement of the chain can also tell the difference between similar specifications.  Here is a useful table:  rode-sizing

Bill Kinney
SM160,  Harmonie
Hollywood, FL

Gerhard Mueller

For each type of chain you can buy the correct gypsy type for a Lofrans Tigres.
--
Gerhard Mueller
Amel Sharki #60

rossirossix4

Hi Rob,

Many times it is stamped on the gypsy itself on the face where where the chain lays around it,  When we were in Europe SVB 24 had good prices.  https://www.svb24.com/en/lofrans-tigres-windlass.html

Bob, KAIMI SM 429

Bill Kinney

Just another quick thought... You can always use your current gypsy on your new windlass.  Even after 38 years, I am guessing the gypsy still has a lot of life left!

Bill Kinney

rob dillmann

Thanks Bill,
There is always a solution!