B&G Forward Scan Transducer Install

Matt & Michelle

Michelle and I are preparing for haulout in a few weeks, and intend to install a B&G Forward Scan transducer while out of the water.

Question: Does anyone have any knowledge to share on do's and don'ts from your installation?

Matt&Michelle
SV Talia SM#209
Hampton, VA

Patrick McAneny

Matt, I had my transducer installed by a marine electrical company,due to it being covered by an insurance claim. I have installed a few transducers and it is pretty straightforward. With the forward scan you need to locate it down as low and forward as possible and of course the transducer needs to be installed absolutely level by contouring the plastic shim to fit the hull , of course it needs to face absolutely forward.
Having said that, I will now say if I had to do it again , I would have saved my money and not installed it. Maybe it is just my experiences,but I find the images so erratic,to be useless. I thought it was because of the soft mud of the Chesapeake affecting the returns, but I am now in the Bahamas with packed sand and the returns are still useless. I wish it worked well here , but it does not and I don’t even turn it on.
I have spoken to the B&G reps. At the Annapolis  boat show the last two years,even showing them videos of the erratic display. They had no explanations, when I asserted that they would not sell a product that is useless,would they.
I hope you have better luck than me, most everyone does, in any circumstance. I have the Luck of the Irish,but not the good type.
Good luck,
Patrick McAneny
SM Shenanigans
Black Point, Bahamas

Juan de Zulueta

Hi Matt & Michelle,

I have installed a forward scan in 2019.
I installed the transducer on the starboard side next to the depth transducer.
I am running it on a Simard nss16evo2 and I am using it every day in the Caribbean’s.

Best regards.

Juan de Zulueta
+33680895892
SM 32 Ophelie X
sent from my Ipad.

--
Juan de Zulueta
OPHELIE X

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Pat, we have the interphase forward sonar. In conversations with others with the same unit the verdict was generally negative. However I have found it to be all in the adjustments or tuning. Get it right and it is quite good. But that comes down to your expectations I guess.I do believe if it is mounted too far forward and not deep enough it will read surface water motion as a target. However I encourage you to try different range and sensitivity settings. This worked for me.
Kind Regards
Danny

On 01/02/2022 04:52 Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32@...> wrote:

[...]

Danny, I had the interphase prior to the B&G , I did not have good returns with it either. I fiddled with it a few times and never turned it on again, I thought the mud bottom on the Bay may have been the problem. As far as location,they were both mounted about where you enter the forward stateroom .
 I don’t know if there is any adjustment on the B&G ,other than range.
If anyone has had great returns with the B&G , I would like to know about it or see a short video of their screen ,if possible.

Pat
SM Shenanigans

Wolfgang Weber

Hello to the group,
on youtube you  will find the video from B&G forwardscan installation  by Oliver from SV Vela Nautica . Installation looked very nice . I tried to get in contact with Oliver by googlemail for  measurements etc but I did not receive mail.
I will bring  the B&G Vulcan 9  (Navionics) with internal GPS  next to my Furuno Navnet (c-map) and connect to B&G H3000 .

Wolfgang Weber SY ELISE  Amel 54#162 (La Rochelle)

Juan de Zulueta

Hello team,

I have great results from the forward scan, it prevented us to hit a coral head in Martinique… (good return on investment)
I am using it everyday, it works perfectly in shallow waters in auto mode .
In very shallow waters you have only a forward view of 20 meters in front of the boat, you need to approach slowly…
I am using it in a shared screen with Map, and fish finder.
It is installed instead of the interphase.
I was not satisfied with the interphase.
I am running it on a Simard but I believe there no difference since this is Navico.

Best regards

Envoyé de mon iPhone

Le 1 févr. 2022 à 08:32, Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32@...> a écrit :

Danny, I had the interphase prior to the B&G , I did not have good returns with it either. I fiddled with it a few times and never turned it on again, I thought the mud bottom on the Bay may have been the problem. As far as location,they were both mounted about where you enter the forward stateroom .
 I don’t know if there is any adjustment on the B&G ,other than range.
If anyone has had great returns with the B&G , I would like to know about it or see a short video of their screen ,if possible.

Pat
SM Shenanigans

--
Juan de Zulueta
OPHELIE X
Super Maramu #32

Alan Leslie

We replaced our non-working Interphase unit with the B&G Vulcan and Forward Scan some years ago.
Forward Scan works quite well as long as the boat is moving slowly and there is little or no up and down movement at the bow.
Forward Scan can't compensate for vertical movement, as I believe some more expensive units do, and thus with vertical  movement, the screen output becomes less than useful.
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

Jose Venegas

Matt,
I installed the B&G forward scanner in place of the original B&G depth scanner and it fit perfectly. I mounted the old depth scanner behind the forward scanner To avoid having to make a new hole on the hull, I mounted the old scanner on a plastic tube that was glued with silicone to the hull and partially filled with water to create a transmission media for the ultrasound. Once in a while I need to put some water as it evaporates in over time.
The only thing that I need to do for the old scanner to work is to start it before the forward scanner. If I forget that, I can go to the chart plotter and temporarily suspend the forward scanner until the depth scanner starts. After that both scanners work. It is great to have the redundant information when you are entering unchartered areas.

To protect the forward scanner I fabricated a nest of 2 stainless rods aligned in the direction of the boat and screw it to the hull. I may still be hit by debris but less likely be damaged.

Jose Venegas
Ipanema SM2K 278
Currently in Redfrog marina, panama.

Jose,

I read your posting with interest and I have an important question.

The B&G pecs on the Forward Scanner state it requires a 50.8 mm hole. The B&G Depth Sounder that came with your SM requires a 32 mm hole. Apparently, the Depth Transducer on your SM was changed and the hole enlarged before you bought her. Can you confirm this?
image.png

image.png

On Thu, Feb 3, 2022 at 1:15 PM Jose Venegas via groups.io <josegvenegas=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Bill,
When I bought my boat it came with a B&G 40 mm ID depth sensor and it did not appear to have been changed before.  The B&G forward scanner that I bought had exactly that diameter and a length that was just enough to get in the perfect depth outside of the hull.

So, what I had and what I bought had exactly the same diameter.  I don't know why both sensors you mention have different diameters

Jose G Venegas
Ipanema SM2K 278

Jose Venegas

Alan, I agree with your observation.  One thing I found is that in the settings using the chart plotter one can vary an angle which I imagine is the difference between the true vertical and the sensor alignment which varies with the boat attitude caused by its motion and weight distribution.   Fiddling with that setting for a low motoring speed and calm waters makes the profile more stable and reliable.

Jose G Venegas
Ipanema SM2K 278

Jose Venegas

Here are views of both sensors

Jose, yes I had a typo...42 mm housing for the B&G Depth, but B&G specs are 50.8mm (2 inches) for the Forward-Looking Transducer...see below. I cannot figure out how you replaced the B&G Depth Transducer with a B&G Forward-Looking Transducer without enlarging the original B&G Depth Transducer hole of 42 mm.

The only reason I bring this up is that some people reading this may have an issue with installation.

Bill
image.png

image.png

On Thu, Feb 3, 2022 at 11:04 PM Jose Venegas via groups.io <josegvenegas=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
Here are views of both sensors

Jose Venegas

It may be the size of the hull whole NOT the  diameter of the sensor

jose

Wolfgang Weber

Hello Bill,
the  B&G Forwardscan sensor is 41 mm at the o-ring. It will go through 44 mm hole in the part for the through-hull installation which has a outside diameter of 50 mm.

Did you see the  youtube  by Oliver Henrichsen with Forward scan Installation ?
Any comment ?

Greetings

Wolfgang Weber SY Elise Amel 54 #162 La Rochelle

Pierre Blouin

Hello everyone,

I'm also planning to install a B&G Forward Scan transducer when we go on the hard in 3 weeks. I watched Oliver's installation YouTube attentively.
It would be nice to get additional insights from those of you guys who installed one and have had success with it --  like preferred location, center or not, angle or not, protect or not, process of creating the hole, etc.

Always an amazing place to get insights. Truly appreciate.

By the way the price of that B&G transducer on Amazon has dropped dramatically in recent days, for those interested.
Thanks
-Pierre
SV Viva
SM#374
Portland, OR

Eloi Bamberg

Hello,

I am also interested in installing a forward scanner, but using already a UDST800 (Airmar), I'm not sure weather both will work without interferences. Does anybody have any experiences with a similar setup?

Thanks,

Eloi
SM2K 426 RedLion

Juan de Zulueta

Hello,

I have both installed and even a total scan. I have no interferences.
I am very satisfied with the forward scan
Just left Turks&caicos which are very shallow. It was again extremely useful to avoid coral heads…
On my way to San Blas Panama and crossing in April to Galapagos and French Polynesia .

All the best

Envoyé de mon iPhone

Le 3 mars 2022 à 14:30, Eloi Bamberg <eloi.bamberg@...> a écrit :

Hello,

I am also interested in installing a forward scanner, but using already a UDST800 (Airmar), I'm not sure weather both will work without interferences. Does anybody have any experiences with a similar setup?

Thanks,

Eloi
SM2K 426 RedLion

--
Juan de Zulueta
OPHELIE X
Super Maramu #32

Eloi Bamberg

Thank you. Do you have the normal or the long version of the forward transducer installed?

Eloi