Introduction

Martijn Bolt

Hi Everybody,

As a brand new member of this group I would like to start and introduce myself.

My name is Martijn and my wife and I had a daughter last year. We live in the Netherlands and I grew up windsurfing, sailing and swimming _a_ _lot_. My wife's dad worked off-shore around the world all his life and always came home to her with the greatest stories. We've travelled the world for 18 years and sailed on many occasions. After years of dreaming and 'planning' we're finally able to afford a boat and sail her multiple years.

Our (very rough) plan is: 1) buying a SM (or, when available, a SM2K) this year (or latest in 2023) and 2) start with sailing the med as soon as we can. 3) Our ultimate return date is fixed, around august 2026, because by then our daughter will be ready to go to school. :-)

I even made a picture of our 'plan' (pretending planning something like this is realistic in any way) HaHa!:

Anyway. Nice to meet you and I am looking forward to connect.

With warm regards,
Martijn

PS: As you probably already noticed, we're being somewhat naïve about all of this, so please do share your comments, ideas and jokes when reading this 'plan'!  HaHa! :-)

Courtney Gorman

Good luck Martijn,
Everyone starts off with some kind of plan the trick is always being ready to pivot.
Cheers and welcome
Courtney
svTrippin

On Feb 1, 2022, at 6:18 PM, Martijn Bolt <martijnbolt@...> wrote:

[...]

Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown

Hi Martijn,

Welcome, you will find this forum a valuable source of information from many experienced and knowledgeable Amel owners.

Would you like to contact me on paul.dowd@... with regard to you intended purchase?

Cheers,

Paul

Paul Dowd & Sharon Brown

S/Y Ya Fohi, Amel 54 #98
tel: +44 (0)7710 466619

skype: pauldowd
web:
https://my.yb.tl/yafohi

--
Cheers
Paul

Justin Paulsen

Hi Martin,

Congratulations on the new addition to your family!

There are some good resources out there for cruising with kids.  There is a book that I have heard mentioned a few times, "Voyaging with Kids".    I haven't read it but it may be useful.

As I am sure you have come to realize, kids really change your life.  Maybe this book can help with ideas for how to handle cruising with your daughter.

Regards,

Justin

On Tue, Feb 1, 2022, 17:18 Martijn Bolt <martijnbolt@...> wrote:
[...]

Davi Rozgonyi

Hey there, welcome in advance to the family! I say this with confidence cause if you've already got Amels on your radar, it's the only boat you'll end up with for sure :) A couple thoughts from a fairly inexperienced owner here:
1. The difference in price between 2000, redline and original SMs is quite large. For us, spending 100k more on a 10 year newer model didn't make sense because the bones of the SM are pretty much the same. You'll get a bigger engine and beefed up tranny I think, but the original little Perkins has done us fine, as an example. The layout is more or less identical. The hull will last 10,000 years either way as long as it hasn't been damaged. So the 100k we saved by buying a 1991 vs 2001 went a long LONG way towards refitting, adding extras, and padding out the cruising kitty, as it might do for you.
2. Plans?! What stinkin plans?! :) Our amazing former owner Robin beat it into our heads that living on a sailboat means you gotta be good with plans being the merest of suggestions only. Be ready to change every single point of your plan, embrace change, and enjoy the unpredictability of it. We started in Italy and were set on going around as well, but then took a wrong turn and then another and got stuck in the eastern Med now for the last 3 years! We love it so much here we might never leave. There is enough to see for 10 lifetimes. Nothing wrong with that either ;)
3. Bill Rouse of this forum and Yacht School I believe is invaluable. Check out his programs. We used his remote survey, which involved taking hundreds of strategic photos of prospective boats for sale. He went through them and identified problems, good and bad, value, price opinion etc. These boats have a VERY steep learning curve compared to other sailboats, and it felt great to have a seasoned Amel sailor standing behind you. Plus he personally knows a surprisingly lot of these boats, so just with a name he can help.

Ok that's it. Good luck!
Davi
S/Y Wake

Martijn Bolt

Thanks everybody for the great responses and warm welcome!

We're definitely in the market for an older SM as well, as long as most of the refitting has been done already. We sort of want to sail more and repair less. Who doesn't? HaHa.:-) As I've been an engineer all my life I'm used to solving problems, so I think I'll manage doing most of the repairs or finding the right people to do it for me. But doing a lot of refitting would rather be something I'll reserve for when I retire one day or something. :-) The difference regarding the engine/transmission is not a big deal for me but I do understand that a SM2000/redline is easier to sell. Is there maybe a list of the main differences between pre- and post-1999 Amels? I saw one years ago but can't figure out where that was.

The map I drew was not really a serious plan :-D I was just figuring out our sabbatical is "in theory" long enough to go on a long "nicely rounded" trip of some sort. I fully expect to end up in completely different situations. Even after these few interactions I'm already rethinking the starting point of our intended voyage. :-D

I'm in touch with Bill already and will definitely check it out! Thanks!

Cheers!
Martijn

Brent Cameron

I’m in a similar situation to you and have definitely got myself tangled up in Courtney’s time to pivot issue!  I’m after a good 54 but I started out looking for SM’s so have been following the forum closely for years and have compiled a list of posts differentiating them.  I don’t have a lot of the original attributions but much of this is from Joel Potter (great resource if you are buying a boat in the US side of the world), Olivier Beauté (definitely the best surveyor and knows just about every Super Maramu ever built personally) and many trusted long time members who went through the same time (as well as my meagre experiences sailing on older (but beautiful) Super Maramu’s and Super Maramu 2000’s.  This wasn’t intended to be publicly posted and were my comments to myself so I apologize if I got anything wrong and take full responsibility for that.   In any case, here it is such as it is:

Super Maramu Notes
The Maramu (Mara' umu) is a south wind in Tahiti and Bora Bora that can reach up to 50 kts
Cruising World named it Boat of the Year along with Best Full Size Cruiser (over $400K) in 2000. https://books.google.ca/books?id=do0moguj-hIC&pg=RA3-PA47&lpg=RA3-PA47&dq=cruising+world+2000+best+boat+of+the+year&source=bl&ots=lyvRcQbux1&sig=EDNfmVBzSZk_mJBk3aaVg4IlSsQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjP_dyF_svbAhUY0IMKHS9UBz8Q6AEIdTAM#v=onepage&q=cruising%20world%202000%20best%20boat%20of%20the%20year&f=false
The SM 53 was a boat designed by Captain Henri Amel with the capable assistance of Jacques Carteau who was Amel’s right hand man for his entire working life. As you may know, Henri Amel was almost completely blind and Carteau was the one who took Amel’s ideas and put them on paper. The SM 53 was the culmination of everything Henri Amel, a very experienced offshore sailor, had learned. This was the last boat Amel and Carteau created together. The SM 53 is an exceptionally sea kindly boat, probably the best, by a small margin, compared to the Amel 54 and 55. I had several occasions to be at sea when I would have preferred to be anywhere else, and I mean anywhere, in all three boats and the SM 53 is the most predictable, linear and vice less of all three, again by a small but noticeable margin. While the boat has no pretense as a racer, if you have good sails and you know how to use them, the SM 53 performs well in any breeze above about 6 knots and absolutely flies in big breeze. I have been quite secure in wind of 40 knots plus very comfortably rolling off a 220 miles a day, in total control. In adverse seas the boat doesn’t pound much and, again, remains predictable and easy to manage at all times by a competent cruising couple. It is hard to come to grief in any Amel boat if you don’t do anything deliberately stupid. Moving boats to place them in boat shows means restricted schedules because to not show up on time is not an option. Neptune knows this and would usually punish me for past evils with really crappy weather. I never felt anything more than healthy levels of fear when at sea in an Amel.

A comfortable liveaboard and the easiest of all three to own and take care of, the only problem today is in finding a good SM 53 that has been well owned and competently cared for its entire life and not messed up by unwanted or ill-conceived ‘improvements’ .
The youngest one is 14 years old and one bad owner can quickly erase the efforts of several good ones. (Joel P)
There were 479 Super Maramu's. The French take August off so the MODEL year (usually) changes in September so a boat built in Sept of 2002 would generally be a 2003 Model. The SM 2000 started at 238 (Belavita formerly Ouled) but the first prototype one was 232 - without the blue floor. 233 was a regular SM (I've been on it - Mona Rae now Iteration). Ouled (now Bella Vita) was the last boat Henri owned and remained the demonstrator for the Y2K model until 2009. In late 2002, they also added double RACOR filters and Triple rollers at the bow. The Redlines started in 2003 and were denoted by a redline around the waterline. They had a few extras thrown in: 100-110HP Yanmar (vs 80), 13 Batteries instead of 9, More powerful alternator, Glossy Varnish inside, Special 3 lamp fixture above saloon table.
The Serial Numbers up to the end of 1996 follow the format of 0030017SMxxx with leading zeros if necessary. The Serial Numbers after 1996 are fairly easy to decode. For instance, the HIN for hull number 387, BeBe, is AMLSM387I203. The digit between the 7 and 2 is the letter "I". This letter indicates the month that the hull was laid up. The 2 following the I means it was built in 2002 and the 03 following that means it is a 2003 model year.
Comment on “totaled” Super Maramu’s that I won’t post publicly as some of them are still out there and were never properly repaired (two were completely rebuilt properly by Amel and as good as new).  Another is floating around the middle of the Atlantic)
The Super Maramus are evolutionary; The Amel trade mark dual headsails (genoa & balooner) is present on all boats. The early ones had a 2 throat foil on the forestay. Means hoisting both headsails on a single halyard. The later boats have a 3 throat foil on the forestay which allows a mouse to trip a second halyard dedicated to the balooner. It helps but given that most of my sailing will be done downwind and the twin sails can be furled together, I've not bothered upgrading to the 3 throat foil.
(From Olivier) Of course, the more recent an SM is, the more equipped with options she may be... The options of the first SMs were only concerning some electronics. Here are the main "options", more or less available on an SM, according to its hull number and first purchaser's choice:
- Water maker 60l/h 24V or 60l/h 24V/230V or 160l/h 230V
- Second autopilot drive
- Second full autopilot
- Seagull freshwater filter
- Holding tanks (1 or 2)
- Second deep freezer
- Diesel fuel heater (air)
- Fresh air ventilation pack (9 outlets, 6 blowers)
- Mosquito screens for all hatches and portholes
- Latches on all inside opening floor boards
- Spinnaker halyard
- SPURS rope-cutter
- Large automatic fire extinguisher for engine room
- Strobe light (in masthead nav tri-color light
- Companionway hatch securing stainless steel board
- Large 24V/230V inverter (2.5kVA)
- Set of cockpit cushions
- Set of aft deck cushions
- Cockpit sun awning
- Half cockpit winter awning
- Full cockpit winter awning
There has been many changes on electronics throughout the years:
The basic standards were:
- B&G nav computer with Sonic speed, wind and depth
- Furuno RADAR
- VHF
- Autopilot
- GPS

All the other electronics were optional (in fact upon purchaser's request). Our good friends from USA were sometimes keen on Raymarine products.
Main changes in the standard SM:
In 1993:
- Batteries in the passageway, 9 instead of 5 in engine room
- 1500 rpm 230V generator (ONAN)
- 3 groove head sail foil
- VOLVO engine (TMD22 or TAMD22)
- Bigger mizzen staysail
- Vinyl headliner with felt (backing) instead of foam
- BRUNTON Autoprop

In 1999 (SM 2K):
- New floor boards (GRP or Synthetic wood instead of teak veneer)
- Electric toilets
- Slightly different galley lay-out
- New upholstery (Suedine)
- YANMAR 4JH3-HTE engine (maybe from 2001 on)
- Most of these SM had the comfort package (optional):
- 13 batteries,
- Second battery charger,
- Bigger 24V alternator,
- Dual RACOR pre-filter for fuel
I missed some items for sure and Joel may remember more. Of course, throughout the years, some older SMs have installed newer options, so make sure to get a detailed list of equipments before having a pre-purchase visit. Have a good day. Olivier
Genset: early ones were 2 cyl of German manufacture and were unreliable. This was quickly changed to Onan 6.5 KW. Ultimately, a Onan 7.5 KW unit was fitted.
Watermaker: early boats had 25 liter per hour. Last boats were 100 l/hr some as high as 160 l/hr.
Main engine: started off with Perkins 80 HP then Volvo 80 HP (same engine... different color), then came 80 HP Yanmar then Yanmar 100 and last units are 110HP.
AC/Heating: early boats had 2 zone: main cabin & salon. Later boats added the forward cabin. All boats have 3 zone electrical heating.
Electronics: old boats had a GPS where the display was 30 cm X 15 cm (6 in X 12 Inches) and only displayed Lat/Long. The vast majority of boats had B&G instruments. The electronics evolved over time.
This "ground issue" gets very confusing to most people. Let me add to the confusion, or maybe add some humor...you be the judge:
- The Amel Bonding System is NOT a GROUND.
- Amel did not connect any electronic ground posts to the Amel Bonding system.
- Further confusing the issue,
Pouchon (Amel's electronics subcontractor) on some Amels connected a yellow/green wire to
the ground terminal on some instruments, but terminated the other end without connection to anything. I have known
some owners and some "expert" technicians to connect this yellow/green wire to the Amel Bonding System.

- Raymarine has no idea what an Amel Bonding System is and really never defines "Ground" in any manual I have.
- As someone who at a very young age (vacuum tube) built electronic radios, stereos, etc., I would connect the cases
("ground") of components together to reduce RFI.
- I have no idea what Raymarine wishes to accomplish, but I assume that since they have to write manuals that are universal,
they don't want a customer service issue for RFI. I have seen some RFI Floating Platforms disguised as cruising boats and
when anchored nearby have been affected by the RFI they broadcast. I assume Raymarine develops an installation manual
that reduces customer service issues from even these RFI floating platforms.

I hope the above helps more than it hurts...if not, maybe it was entertaining.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
The AC "Earth" is not part of the Amel Bonding system. The two systems were designed to stand alone. However, when Amel chose the Calpeda 220VAC Saltwater pump for Climma AC, an unintended connection between the two was created because AC Current safety necessitates that the steel pump case to be connected to Earth and electrolysis necessitates that the steel saltwater pump be connected to Bonding. Since the pump and motor are steel and connected to one another, there is a crossover between the two systems.

This situation is a good reason to install a March Mag-Drive Pump rather that a pump like the Capelda 220VAC pump. Choose that March pump wisely because of the normal unpainted steel on most of their pumps. If you buy one of these do something to mitigate rust/oxidation. Bill R
Very, very interesting that Amel built most of the saloon and forward cabin pass through/ducting even on those boats that neither have forced air nor heating from the factory! Since the hard part on any unheated sailboat is obviously finding the space for these thick air ducts, I guess Amel already did well over half of the job compared to many other sailboat makes.

This means that the decision to go Hydronic for non-heated/non-force-air-ventilated boats is not as self-evident as I had thought; those wanting to install an Airtronic would not be starting from zero at all. But people wanting to install Hydronic could also try and profit from the existing Amel buildout, so it's a benefit for them as well.

Now, as to the ducting to the aft cabin: SM's with the heating or the forced-air option have a nifty, thick stainless steel tube that runs fore to aft, across the aft head, above the toilet seat. This is the duct that connects the furnace in the cockpit locker to its exhaust in the aft cabin, immediately above the A/C exhaust. When the Airtronic gets turned on, this tube gets warm, providing a bit of warmth to the area. At some point after hull #350 was built, Amel installed a subsidiary sliding door/grilled exhaust longitudinally on the tube so that some warm air can issue inside the aft head, for even better heating, if so desired.
The Super Maramus are built very strong. The boat can be set on it's winged keel without jackstands (although not recommended for obvious reasons) and the skeg rudder can also support the entire weight of the boat in case of grounding. The boat is also designed to be lifted out by attaching the crane to its chainplates as a picture of Bill Rouse's BeBe being loaded onto a transport ship in the middle of the Indian Ocean shows!
All AMELS, since 1967, have been built with AMEL designed biaxial fiberglass cloth. This is a flat woven fiberglass cloth that is much stronger in sheer and tension than conventional mat and woven roving laminates. It is lighter, stronger, and better. The hull is molded in one piece incorporating one piece/non-spliced lengths of biaxial cloth running from bulwark, down through the keel/centerline, and up to the opposite bulwark. In the same fashion, the next series of laminates run from the bow lengthwise to the stern, again, employing one piece/non spliced lengths of biaxial cloth. The deck assembly is built in a similar fashion. While the hull is a solid fiberglass laminate with no core, the deck assembly employs a core of Baltek vertical end grain balsa in strategic horizontal areas to enhance stiffness and is insulation from heat and noise. There are also substrates of “Iron Wood” in the deck assembly where cleats and the windlass are installed to easily accommodate the increased compression and shearing loads in the foredeck.

While the completed one-piece hull is still in the mold, ALL the furniture and structural bulkheads, less non-structural drawers and cabinet faces, are installed. After all the structural assemblies are completely installed, the separately completed deck assembly is joined to the hull (again, while it is still in the mold) with six layers of the same biaxial cloth used in the primary laminations, around the entire hull to deck interface. What this accomplishes, effectively, is the elimination of a conventional hull to deck joint. The hull and deck are married with a homogeneous fiberglass matrix, which insures a strong and leak free hull and deck join for the entire life of the vessel.

Brent

On Feb 2, 2022, 5:19 AM -0600, Martijn <martijnbolt@...>, wrote:
[...]

Oro-Medonte, Ontario, Canada

Herman Goverse

Hi Martijn,

Great plan. We have bought our SM this year and brought her to the Netherlands. If you want have a closer look at a SM and exchange stories you and the family are welcome to visit us in Medemblik. Just send me an email herman(at)sy-kolibri.com

Groet, Hella en Herman
--
SY-Kolibri - SM #174

Martijn Bolt

Thanks a lot for this Brent! This one keeps me busy as I keep re-reading this 'entertaining' post. HaHa.
It has a ton of information and a host of new words I can add to my vocabulary. :-D

Cheers, Martijn

Dirk Hazenoot Maramu Huli 171

Hi Martin,

Who bought an Amel Maramu last year. I recommend looking at French sites and traveling to France and seeing some boats. There are plenty for sale here. We bought our boat from Ancasta.

https://ancasta.com/
https://www.annonces-marine.com/

We had our boat inspected by Bill Rouse with the help of 1100 photos. In this way we got to know our boat much better. Who knows, maybe we'll meet on the water someday. This summer we will enter the water and start our tour around the world.

We are also from the Netherlands. If you have any questions, you can reach me via email dekoer@...