Fresh water tank pipe noise

Ian Townsend

Has anyone ever heard a knocking sound coming from the draw pipe (I think) when the fresh water pump turns on? Is it a loose bracket or something else?

ian
SM153
Loca Lola II

Ian, the first photo is of the aft-most section of the tank. The pickup line is copper and could possibly shake and knock against the wall, but I have to wonder what would cause that.

Is it possible that there is a slight suction-side air leak? A burst of air into the suction side might cause that, at least I think so. The other end of the copper pickup line in the photo is near the freshwater pump and a hose runs from the line to the pump. When Amel made your SM, they used some sort of sealant between the copper and the hose and 2 hose clamps to help avoid a suction side leak. There will be no evidence of a suction side leak and no water leaking out, just air going in. See the second photo.
image.png

image.png

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550

On Wed, Feb 2, 2022 at 4:15 AM Ian Townsend <smlocalola@...> wrote:

Has anyone ever heard a knocking sound coming from the draw pipe (I think) when the fresh water pump turns on? Is it a loose bracket or something else?

ian
SM153
Loca Lola II

Scott SV Tengah

I had that sound after the aft most water tank section on my 54 was cleaned. The copper pipe was pushed close to the vertical face of the tank by a monkey fisted boatyard worker during the cleaning process.

A little gentle bending got it far enough away that it doesn't touch anymore.

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69