Fire in my cell phone

Eric Freedman <sailamel@...>

A few days ago, I awoke and went to my cellphone to unplug it and put it in my pocket. I noticed the cord where it attaches to the phone was smoldering.

While I unplugged it burst into flames. I removed the cord from the charger outlet, and all was well.

I then plugged it into another cord and for the last 2 days no problems.

I guess many of us leave the phone on the charger while we are asleep, I guess computers also.

Being that the wires are so fine, I believe if left alone it would have just melted and stopped smoldering.

However, if it were near something flammable, what could have happened in my sleep?

From now on computers and all small electronics will be unplugged while I sleep.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Matt Salatino

What did the phone end of the cord look like? Was it previously damaged from wear and handling? This is not an uncommon occurrence with damaged wiring…..

Eric Freedman <sailamel@...>

The phone end of the cord looked perfect.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

What did the phone end of the cord look like? Was it previously damaged from wear and handling? This is not an uncommon occurrence with damaged wiring…..

Matt Salatino

We buy longer, armored charging cords. We are not hard on them, but they seem designed to fail. I think they are a revenue source for the phone manufacturers….we keep several on board.