DESSALATOR D60 gauge question - replacement gauge

Andreas Stuben

Hello all;
our D60 water maker appears to run fine even so the TDS seems to be high in the first few minutes based on taste.  I do not yet have a device to test TDS but will get one soon.
My concern right now is the gauge shown below.  When powered off the gauge sits above zero which I likely makes it inaccurate but it seems to function somewhat.
Can anyone suggest a direct replacement that I can easily obtain in the US or PF?  Anything to look out for besides unbolt/install?
--
Michael SM078
Currently Tahiti French Polynesia

Mohammad Shirloo

Hello Michael;

I’m not familiar with the D60. On our 150L/Hr A/C water maker, we have a similar looking HP gauge. The gauge is connected to the pressurized side of the HP pump, with a small diameter hose. This hose and sometimes the pressure gauge itself, can get buildup and prevent the gauge from working properly. I would suggest first just removing and cleaning the gauge itself and testing. If this does not work, locate the small diameter hose from the HP pump to the gauge and replace, if possible, or clean. I believe the gauge itself is fairly robust and of a simple design. The main issue we have seen has been buildup that prevents the proper operation. Therefore changing the gauge may or may not resolve the problem, and if it does, it may be temporary. By removing and inspecting the condition, I think you will have a better answer as to how to resolve the issue. It is probably a good idea to have a spare, nonetheless. We have purchased one directly from Dessalator.

Please keep in mind that our experience is on a different unit that may or may not apply to yours.

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099

our D60 water maker appears to run fine even so the TDS seems to be high in the first few minutes based on taste.  I do not yet have a device to test TDS but will get one soon.

My concern right now is the gauge shown below.  When powered off the gauge sits above zero which I likely makes it inaccurate but it seems to function somewhat.

Can anyone suggest a direct replacement that I can easily obtain in the US or PF?  Anything to look out for besides unbolt/install?

--
Michael SM078
Currently Tahiti French Polynesia

Bill Kinney

Running a watermaker without an accurate pressure gauge is truly flying blind.  Proper pressure is key to running these properly.  My guess is that there is something wrong with the gauge.  It looks like it has been removed in the past, the orientation is not what I would expect for the factory installation.

You are unlikely to find EXACTLY that gauge style, the color coded dial is a Dessalator special.  But any gauge for the right pressure range will work.  Pressure gauges like this are pretty standard in sizes and connections. Once you have it disassembled and in hand, matching with something commercially available should be pretty easy.  The normal working pressure for these membranes is about 50 bar, maximum rated pressure is 60 bar, and the watermaker should shut down at 65 bar.  I would chose a gauge with a maximum pressure rating of 75 0r 80 bar to get a good measuring range.  The option is to get it from Dessalator, if they can still get one of these the price they charge will make your eyes water.

On older units Dessalator  used gauges with real numbers so you could actually understand what was happening. I guess they figured that was too complicated and users couldn't be trusted with that information.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Hollywood, FL

image.png

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550

On Fri, Mar 11, 2022 at 10:46 AM Bill Kinney <cruisingconsulting@...> wrote:
[...]

Edited

Thank you all.  I did inquire about the gauge at dessalator.com in France based on a recommendation from Bill Rouse.  I received a quote for 62 Euro for a Wika gauge 100 bar plus 60 Euro shipping.  I probably go this route or just get a gauge that matches the technical spec.  I do prefer the color coded scale if possible as anyone on board including guests or my mom will understand "green is good".

TDS meter is on the way, at about $13 on Amazon that was an easy decision.