Amel 54 bow thruster sensors

Robin E. Hutter

Hello Amelians

I have a problem with my bowthruster sensors - it does not stop when in the down or up position and we are assuming it is the sensors, however we also do not understand on how it is supposed to work as there does not seem a counterpart for the sensor.

Anybody can enlighten us?

We have been able to move it up and down (with jumpering in the relais box) - we sometimes get sound and light in the cockpit - when it is not up or down - all very strange to us!

your help would be highly appreciated

Robin Hutter
Carré d’As
Amel 54 #54

presently in Agios Nikolaos / Crete / Greece

luvkante

Robin,
I don’t understand what you mean by counterpart. It is magnetic sensors. You must check in the relay box, whether they are working. See plan.

Best,

Martin AMEL 54 #149 CHIARA

Von meinem iPad gesendet

Am 04.04.2022 um 11:16 schrieb Robin E. Hutter <info@...>:

Hello Amelians

I have a problem with my bowthruster sensors - it does not stop when in the down or up position and we are assuming it is the sensors, however we also do not understand on how it is supposed to work as there does not seem a counterpart for the sensor.

Anybody can enlighten us?

We have been able to move it up and down (with jumpering in the relais box) - we sometimes get sound and light in the cockpit - when it is not up or down - all very strange to us!

your help would be highly appreciated

Robin Hutter
Carré d’As
Amel 54 #54

presently in Agios Nikolaos / Crete / Greece

luvkante

Robin,

Hier zur besseren Übersicht nochmals mit Anschlussbezeichnungen, habe ich mal bei einer Reparatur rausgefummelt.

Martin AMEL 54 #149 CHIARA

Von meinem iPad gesendet

Am 04.04.2022 um 11:16 schrieb Robin E. Hutter <info@...>:

Hello Amelians

I have a problem with my bowthruster sensors - it does not stop when in the down or up position and we are assuming it is the sensors, however we also do not understand on how it is supposed to work as there does not seem a counterpart for the sensor.

Anybody can enlighten us?

We have been able to move it up and down (with jumpering in the relais box) - we sometimes get sound and light in the cockpit - when it is not up or down - all very strange to us!

your help would be highly appreciated

Robin Hutter
Carré d’As
Amel 54 #54

presently in Agios Nikolaos / Crete / Greece

Doug Smith

Robin,

The four relays in the control box are used to control the raising and lowering of the bow thruster. Relay 1 and 4 specifically control movement and 2/3 control the signals at the dash. They make and break based on the position switches, which I believe on your boat are the micro reed switches, similar to this.

I was able to source these microswitches in the USA through Tom Shook, at

https://tsii-connectors.com/product/ffv/

They were FFV-810C6X, but those have been hard to find and have been replaced by a similar switch, FFVA6X. I was told those also could be switched with the FEK version which has a different wire attachment point.

These are normally closed switches, which are easily checked at by disconnecting them and checking with a meter.  They will read as near zero for resistance and then when the thruster is in the position to activate the switch it should read open.  Sometimes the brackets that hold these switches in position break, and the switches may have become dislodged from their position on the actuator.

Doug Smith

S/V Aventura, Amel 54-113

Patuxent River, MD USA

From: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of "Robin E. Hutter" <info@...>
Date: Monday, April 4, 2022 at 5:17 AM
To: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Amel 54 bow thruster sensors

Hello Amelians

I have a problem with my bowthruster sensors - it does not stop when in the down or up position and we are assuming it is the sensors, however we also do not understand on how it is supposed to work as there does not seem a counterpart for the sensor.

Anybody can enlighten us?

We have been able to move it up and down (with jumpering in the relais box) - we sometimes get sound and light in the cockpit - when it is not up or down - all very strange to us!

your help would be highly appreciated

Robin Hutter
Carré d’As
Amel 54 #54

presently in Agios Nikolaos / Crete / Greece

robin hutter

I did find the switches but I do not understand what activates them in the upper or lower position so the bow thruster stops… - there does not seem to be a counterpart (magnet?) to stop the movement - it‘s a riddle to me!

Gesendet von Yahoo Mail für iPad

From: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of "Robin E. Hutter" <info@...>
Date: Monday, April 4, 2022 at 5:17 AM
To: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>

Hello Amelians

I have a problem with my bowthruster sensors - it does not stop when in the down or up position and we are assuming it is the sensors, however we also do not understand on how it is supposed to work as there does not seem a counterpart for the sensor.

Anybody can enlighten us?

We have been able to move it up and down (with jumpering in the relais box) - we sometimes get sound and light in the cockpit - when it is not up or down - all very strange to us!

your help would be highly appreciated

Robin Hutter
Carré d’As
Amel 54 #54

presently in Agios Nikolaos / Crete / Greece

luvkante

It is the material INSIDE the cylinder.

Martin AMEL54 #149 CHIARA

Von meinem iPad gesendet

From: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of "Robin E. Hutter" <info@...>
Date: Monday, April 4, 2022 at 5:17 AM
To: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>

Hello Amelians

I have a problem with my bowthruster sensors - it does not stop when in the down or up position and we are assuming it is the sensors, however we also do not understand on how it is supposed to work as there does not seem a counterpart for the sensor.

Anybody can enlighten us?

We have been able to move it up and down (with jumpering in the relais box) - we sometimes get sound and light in the cockpit - when it is not up or down - all very strange to us!

your help would be highly appreciated

Robin Hutter
Carré d’As
Amel 54 #54

presently in Agios Nikolaos / Crete / Greece

Doug Smith

Exactly.  Inside the cylinder, there are metal componants that cause these little switches to act like magnets against them.  When in the right position

Doug Smith

S/V Aventura, Amel 54-113

Patuxent River, MD USA

it opens and closes based on where the cylinder is.

From: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of "Robin E. Hutter" <info@...>
Date: Monday, April 4, 2022 at 5:17 AM
To: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>

Hello Amelians

I have a problem with my bowthruster sensors - it does not stop when in the down or up position and we are assuming it is the sensors, however we also do not understand on how it is supposed to work as there does not seem a counterpart for the sensor.

Anybody can enlighten us?

We have been able to move it up and down (with jumpering in the relais box) - we sometimes get sound and light in the cockpit - when it is not up or down - all very strange to us!

your help would be highly appreciated

Robin Hutter
Carré d’As
Amel 54 #54

presently in Agios Nikolaos / Crete / Greece

robin hutter

Dear contributors to my bow thruster problem - thanks a million!

I found the culprit, it was was a defect sensor. Everything is up and running again. The new sensor was sent to me by Amel (Maud) in less then a week.

Thanks again, kind regards and fair winds

Robin
Amel 54 #54
Carré d‘As
in Agios Nikolaos, Crete, Greece