Anchor Counter - Lewmar AA560 - Sensor Replacement #replacement #solution

Paul Filgiano

Our anchor counter has not been working.  The windlass works fine, but the Lewmar AA560 anchor counter does not.  We seem to have narrowed the issue down to the sensor needing to be replaced.  I am hoping someone has done this job before and can advise how big a can of worms I am opening by trying to replace the sensor myself.

--
Paul & Christine Filgiano
SV CHRISTINE (A55, #29)

I believe this will help:

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550

On Sun, Apr 17, 2022 at 11:36 AM Paul Filgiano <Filgiano@...> wrote:
Our anchor counter has not been working.  The windlass works fine, but the Lewmar AA560 anchor counter does not.  We seem to have narrowed the issue down to the sensor needing to be replaced.  I am hoping someone has done this job before and can advise how big a can of worms I am opening by trying to replace the sensor myself.

--
Paul & Christine Filgiano
SV CHRISTINE (A55, #29)
(the boat is currently located in Gocek, Turkey)
Montreal, QC (Canada)

Hans Schaidinger

Hello Christine and Paul,

we had the same problem two years ago and after talking with Amel Hyeres I was sure, that the reason is the sensor. Replacing is a little bit tricky, but not a real problem. Amel doesn’t deliver the sensor, so I ordered at the original Amel-supporter Pochon (www.pochon.com.) The pochon code no was 102490.

The link to the cable system you will find after opening the afterward part of the lewmar winch. When it is open you have also access to the fixing of the cylindrical sensor. It is fixed in its body with silicone.

Good luck!

Hans Schaidinger

SV Alademar

SM2K #411

Our anchor counter has not been working.  The windlass works fine, but the Lewmar AA560 anchor counter does not.  We seem to have narrowed the issue down to the sensor needing to be replaced.  I am hoping someone has done this job before and can advise how big a can of worms I am opening by trying to replace the sensor myself.

--
Paul & Christine Filgiano
SV CHRISTINE (A55, #29)
(the boat is currently located in Gocek, Turkey)
Montreal, QC (Canada)

Virenfrei. www.avast.com

Paul Filgiano

Thank you for the info!  I will tackle this when I am not under any time constraints as I am unsure of how long a neophyte to DIY repairs like me will take to do this.

Greatly appreciated!

Paul

Paul Filgiano

Thank you so much!  West marine will be an easier place for me to order the parts needed.

--
Paul & Christine Filgiano
Montreal, QC (Canada)

Lior Keydar

dear paul,

i had this problem twice. in both case it was the small magnet that is paced in the winch. this magnet count the times the winch turn around. you can test it if you take out the winch out and play with a magnet above the sensor.

hope it helps.

best,
lior, A54, Sharona

Roque

Paul

I agree with Lior. Try the magnet first. It is inexpensive and an easy fix. On Attika, Amel 54,  I used 8mm x 8mm Neodimio magnet.(On eBay you buy 10 for 5 US$!). You can measure yours using the secondary winch, if you have two. The hole will be empty and easier to measure.

Roque

Attika A54 # 117

Paraty - Brazil

Em seg., 18 de abr. de 2022 às 11:00, Lior Keydar <lior246@...> escreveu:

dear paul,

i had this problem twice. in both case it was the small magnet that is paced in the winch. this magnet count the times the winch turn around. you can test it if you take out the winch out and play with a magnet above the sensor.

hope it helps.

best,
lior, A54, Sharona

--
Roque
Attika A54 117
Paraty - Brazil

Lior Keydar

Edited

paul,

if it is the case, you should leave the last 1 mm of the holel free and put epoxy on the magnet, so the magnet will not get rusted fast.

lior