Watermaker output fluctuation

Richard Dallett

When trying to adjust the pressure to maintain the output at 160 liters per gallon, the output indicator floats up and down between 120 and 160 while the pressure indicator needle fluctuates form barely in the orange to the middle of the green. Any idea on the cause?

Richard Dallett
A54/68 "Mamba"

Richard

It could be a lot of things but with both of those fluctuating, it is probably not an issue with either gauge. Here are the suspects in the order I would check:
Clogged sea chest/strainer, including all the way to the water below the sea chest to the brine output
Clogged prefilters
Clogged Saltwater hoses (input and output)
Air in the circuit and possibly continuing to enter the circuit
Bad Membranes
Bad Pump(s)
Bad Pressure Valve
Hoses to/from the watermaker

Bill

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550

On Thu, Apr 21, 2022 at 1:27 PM Richard Dallett <dallettrichard@...> wrote:
When trying to adjust the pressure to maintain the output at 160 liters per gallon, the output indicator floats up and down between 120 and 160 while the pressure indicator needle fluctuates form barely in the orange to the middle of the green. Any idea on the cause?

Richard Dallett
A54/68 "Mamba"

Richard Dallett

Thanks, Bill,

The problem started immediately after I did a thorough cleaning of the sea chest and strainer (down to the ball valve) and circulated Barnacle Buster through the Volvo, AC, and refrigerator systems. I tried to never let the water level drop below where the water exits the filter area into the sea chest. After an hour I flushed all 3 systems.

Does this info change your thinking as to the order of probability?

[...]

I do not understand this: "I tried to never let the water level drop below where the water exits the filter area into the sea chest."

I hope absolutely no chemical got into the watermaker saltwater circuit.
--
Maybe air got into the watermaker system. Normally air will work itself out after several minutes of operation.
Maybe you need to check from the ball valve to the water.

1. Close seacock
2. Remove the strainer
3. Using a wet vacuum, remove seawater from Sea Chest, or momentarily start the engine
4. Place the broomstick in the sea chest and on top of the closed sea cock
5. Open sea cock and quickly run the broom stick through it several times
8. Remove the the broomstick and close the sea cock
10. Retun the sea chest to normal operation

On Thu, Apr 21, 2022 at 2:44 PM Richard Dallett <dallettrichard@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks, I’ll check water flow and air flow.