Securing a B&G 213 MHU

Jérémy

My mistake : it's not "LCJ CV3F" but "LCJ CV7-STBG".

Jérémy
SM#121
Le 28/04/2022 à 23:18, Jérémy via groups.io a écrit :

During the survey of my boat at the time of purchase, when Olivier tested the anemometer at the top of the mast, it fell on the deck.
Seeing the cost of the B&G 213, I preferred to find another solution, but which will remain compatible with the Hydra unit because I really like the look of the analog displays :)
I've found an ultrasonic sensor, compatible with the B&G system. It's the CV3F from LCJ, with B&G Option (named STBG for SeaTalk + B&G option).

The CV3F with the STBG option output both NMEA signal and the same B&G 213 analog signal (for the Hydra unit), and everything works perfectly.

https://lcjcapteurs.com/en/girouette-anemometres-capteur-vent/cv3f-ultrasonic-wind-sensor/

Jérémy
SM#121
Le 27/04/2022 à 07:40, Mark Erdos a écrit :

A few months ago, Loca Lola  wrote on here about a B&G replacement that had no bearings and was 0183 2000 comparable. IMO - B&G has a long way to go to catch up on this technology. When I run out of B&G's stupid expensive spare parts, this or something similar will be my choice.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - French Polynesia

www.creampuff.us

--
SM #121 Nausicaä
Nantes, France

--
SM #121 Nausicaä
Nantes, France

Billy Newport

Same happened to me. I was on my 3rd rebuilt 213 which didn't work when I gave up, bought a WS320 and installed on the mast. I configured the H5000 to use it rather than the MHU and changed the TZ2 to use the 320 also. What I'm unable to do is to reconfigure the 711c auto pilot to use the 320 for AWA etc. The menu option for change data sources etc isn't on my 711c. Maybe, I'm doing something stupid but if anyone knows how to unlock the menu item which allows a different data source to be picked for the 711c, I'd be grateful.   THanks, Billy 55#56

Jérémy

During the survey of my boat at the time of purchase, when Olivier tested the anemometer at the top of the mast, it fell on the deck.
Seeing the cost of the B&G 213, I preferred to find another solution, but which will remain compatible with the Hydra unit because I really like the look of the analog displays :)
I've found an ultrasonic sensor, compatible with the B&G system. It's the CV3F from LCJ, with B&G Option (named STBG for SeaTalk + B&G option).

The CV3F with the STBG option output both NMEA signal and the same B&G 213 analog signal (for the Hydra unit), and everything works perfectly.

https://lcjcapteurs.com/en/girouette-anemometres-capteur-vent/cv3f-ultrasonic-wind-sensor/

Jérémy
SM#121
Le 27/04/2022 à 07:40, Mark Erdos a écrit :

A few months ago, Loca Lola  wrote on here about a B&G replacement that had no bearings and was 0183 2000 comparable. IMO - B&G has a long way to go to catch up on this technology. When I run out of B&G's stupid expensive spare parts, this or something similar will be my choice.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

www.creampuff.us

--
SM #121 Nausicaä
Nantes, France

Mark Erdos

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

www.creampuff.us

Mohammad Shirloo

Thanks Bill. Good useful information.

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill Kinney via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2022 12:01 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Securing a B&G 213 MHU

Mohammad,

The bearings in the 213 can be replaced, they are standard industrial sealed bearings.  A google search should turn up a couple things about them. A B&G service facility should be able to handle it, although they will charge you the B&G price for the bearings.

The connector to the WS310 is not compatible with the 213. It is a standard NMEA2000 drop connector.  The ONLY way to connect it is into a NMEA2000 network.

The WS320 costs 50% more, and as far as I can see has similar performance specs as the 310.  You pay more up front for avoiding the hassle of running the wire.  On the other hand every year or two you have to go back up the mast, bring the instrument down to deck level, change the battery, and return it to the top of the mast. It takes two trips up because you need to re-pair it with the receiver which has to be done within a few centimeters.

Win some, lose some!

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Palmas del Mer, Puerto Rico.

Bill Kinney

Mohammad,

The bearings in the 213 can be replaced, they are standard industrial sealed bearings.  A google search should turn up a couple things about them. A B&G service facility should be able to handle it, although they will charge you the B&G price for the bearings.

The connector to the WS310 is not compatible with the 213. It is a standard NMEA2000 drop connector.  The ONLY way to connect it is into a NMEA2000 network.

The WS320 costs 50% more, and as far as I can see has similar performance specs as the 310.  You pay more up front for avoiding the hassle of running the wire.  On the other hand every year or two you have to go back up the mast, bring the instrument down to deck level, change the battery, and return it to the top of the mast. It takes two trips up because you need to re-pair it with the receiver which has to be done within a few centimeters.

Win some, lose some!

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Palmas del Mer, Puerto Rico.

Mohammad Shirloo

Hi Bill;

Great timing on your post.

Our MHU has been a bit “sticky” and would sometime not show low wind speeds. We have to remove and soak in water overnight every couple of years and seems to be OK, until it starts to stick again.

We’re looking at the new MHUs that B&G now offers. They have both a wired and a wireless one.

Wired: https://www.bandg.com/bg/type/instrument-sensors-and-transducers/wind-sensors/ws310-wind-pack20m-cblinterface/

Wireless: https://www.bandg.com/bg/type/instrument-sensors-and-transducers/wind-sensors/ws320-wireless-wind-pack-with-interface/

Do you know if the new wired one can be used in lieu of the 213? Are the connectors the same? Will it communicate with the existing NEMA2000?

We have a complete retrofit of the electronics planed in the next year or two, but it would be nice if we could do this change now,  until the upgrade.

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill Kinney via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2022 6:42 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Securing a B&G 213 MHU

This is one of those "do not let this happen to you!" posts.  For those of you who have the B&G213 wind instrument that many Amels came equipped with, here is (I hope) a useful post to make sure it stays permanently attached to your boat.

https://fetchinketch.net/boat-projects/preventing-loss-of-a-bg-213-mhu/

The 213 is now listed as a "legacy" product by B&G. It is still supported and available, but expect parts and service to become harder to obtain as the inventory depletes.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Palmas del Mar, Puerto Rico.

Bill Kinney

This is one of those "do not let this happen to you!" posts.  For those of you who have the B&G213 wind instrument that many Amels came equipped with, here is (I hope) a useful post to make sure it stays permanently attached to your boat.

https://fetchinketch.net/boat-projects/preventing-loss-of-a-bg-213-mhu/

The 213 is now listed as a "legacy" product by B&G. It is still supported and available, but expect parts and service to become harder to obtain as the inventory depletes.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Palmas del Mar, Puerto Rico.