Stress crack main sheet boom attachment Maramu

karkauai

Kristy is an SM, her forwardmost attachment point on the boom is where a line goes from the base of the mast to the boom. It's where a vang would be attached and is there I presume to keep the boom from lifting in an accidental jybe.
--
Kent & Iris
KRISTY

Dennis Johns

Glad it's not cracked.  Don't have a photo of my boom -sorry.

How far is the first ring from the mast?  Perhaps it can do double-duty as a purchase point for your main sheet and for your preventer?

Dennis

On Thu, May 5, 2022 at 12:28 PM Alex BAIZEAU <alexandre.baizeau@...> wrote:
Thanks for the replies, I ended up grinding a little bit more paint and it seems that the metal, is not cracked.

Hopefully our boom doesn’t break in half, do you have any pictures of your third attachement point?

There seems to be a thick layer of fairing/padding to make the weld look smoother, it has the consistency and is white and Grey like rusting aluminium so it made me believe that the crack was in the metal but it’s not the case

Our boom has 4 rings/eyes and starting from the mast we use the second one for our preventer when going downwind.

Alex

On Thu, May 5, 2022 at 7:11 PM Dennis Johns <sbmesasailor@...> wrote:
Ours was worse than that.  The single purchase to the middle of the boom resulted in metal fatigue and our boom actually broke in half.  We now have three purchase points on a new boom.  I would recommend you do the same to further distribute the energy.

Dennis Johns
Libertad
Maramu 121

On Thu, May 5, 2022 at 10:31 AM Alex BAIZEAU <alexandre.baizeau@...> wrote:

Hello Everyone, during a routine inspection we notice a couple of stress cracks where the main sheet connects to the boom on our Nirvana boom, Maramu 86.

See attached pictures.

Is it something that has happened to anyone else? I’m wondering if someone already had this fixed and how.

Thanks for your input!

Alex Baizeau

Maramu #207, 1986

Alex BAIZEAU

[...]

Ken Smith

Alex,

This is new to us 1986 M202 pictures of the main sheet and boom. Similar cracks, inspection here suggest these are in the paint. Still learning my Amel and ours is close in hull number. Is yours in the metal?

Also, What do you use the eye on the boom forward on the main sheet double block for?( there are 3 on the boom, 2 in your pics).

Hope this helps, reach out on any other topics as well.

M202 Bon Edda
Ken Smith
Baltimore MD
Ken363184@...

image0.jpegimage1.jpegimage2.jpeg

On May 5, 2022, at 1:31 PM, Alex BAIZEAU <alexandre.baizeau@...> wrote:

Hello Everyone, during a routine inspection we notice a couple of stress cracks where the main sheet connects to the boom on our Nirvana boom, Maramu 86.

See attached pictures.

Is it something that has happened to anyone else? I’m wondering if someone already had this fixed and how.

FEF5ED30-5DB0-4A3D-AE4C-922420AFADA6.jpeg1C1C506B-8C84-4A39-ADE0-DC26743C349D.jpeg2C3D9777-8DE0-40BA-8DF7-0A7EF7FC2321.jpeg

Thanks for your input!

Alex Baizeau

Maramu #207, 1986

Alex BAIZEAU