Bow paint worn out.

Dan Carlson

Thanks John,

When I'm ready to redo the whole bottom, then Copper coat will definitely be a consideration, but right now I'm just looking for a more pragmatic approach to protect less than a meter of wear on the point of the bow until then.

Thanks and regards, Daniel and Lori Carlson on sv BeBe, SM #387

On Tue, May 10, 2022, 5:30 PM JOHN HAYES <johnhayes862@...> wrote:
Hi Dan

Think about moving to copper coat which is a water based epoxy. I put it on to the top of the orange stripe. Pulled out after 16 months mainly to check anodes. Instead of 3 to 4 days sanding and painting for anti fouling it took an hour and a quarter on the hard to water blast lite sand with 330 grit paper and back to the brine. Brilliant!!

On 11/05/2022, at 8:33 AM, Dan Carlson <carlsdan61@...> wrote:

We've covered a few more miles than usual since covid and we've been wearing away the bottom paint at the point of the bow each season. We have added three coats of micron 66 on the bow each summer when we've hauled out.

This year it looks like we've worn the Gel-Coat off the very point of the bow as well.

But we're hauling out later this month and thinking about what to do?

I have some Interlux 2000e that I could layer on the point to give it some added layers of protection. I thought the process would be to strip the bottom paint back 3 - 4 inch's on each side of the bow, light sand it clean and then start building up layers of epoxy primer, feathering and sanding it out fair on each side. And then I'll build the bottom paint up again when we return in the fall.

Anyone with experience with this? Comments or other ideas?

Thanks and regards, Daniel and Lori Carlson on sv BeBe, SM #387,
Currently at Spanish Wells and sailing north on Thursday

JOHN HAYES

[...]

P1030132.JPG1652214587039_1652214585442_P1030133.JPG

Dan Carlson