Climma Compact 9EH M60018AMEL with M61037AMEL Electrical Box

Tony Elliott

OK, I believe I have the answer to what the component is for those that are interested.

The 40uF capacitor as an additional cap that is added in parallel with the 10uF cap only to improve (reduce current spike and duration) startup. The "device" is likely a PTC (Positive Temperature Coefficient) ceramic "relay" that is normally closed at ambient temperatures. At startup the 10 and 40uF caps are in parallel yielding a higher capacitance to overcome the "hard" starting conditions of all AC compressors. As the current flows through this device it heats up and finally disconnects the 40uF capacitor so that the unit can maintain its running state. In standard AC terminology this is called a "Hard Start Kit".

It seems that the technician who operated on this unit removed the 10uF run cap and used the 40uF cap instead because I assume the ceramic relay failed. The unit starts perfectly fine but what the longer term effects are of running the unit with a run capacitor 4 times larger than needed is yet to be determined.

Anyway, thought I would close this off. Now to go find a PTC ceramic "relay".

Tony
SM#443, Grand Cru

Tony Elliott

Thanks Bill, but I already have all of those. I'm looking for the schematic for the electrical box and specifically the connections to the compressor capacitors and identification of components in the EB.

One of my Climma Compact 9EH is a missing 10uF compressor capacitor and also missing a small device that I cannot yet identify. The device connects between the 10 and 40uF caps as shown in the first picture. It is a device that, on one of my other units is kept in place with a riveted spring bracket, and on the other with a zip tie!!.

On the unit in question, it's gone altogether and the circuit has been "jimmy-rigged" to use the 40uF capacitor to start and run the compressor (with success I might add, it seems to work very well). This is shown in the second picture. I've also attached a picture of the device itself - it has two connectors, seems to be made by a company called Electra, and has printed upon it: P210D 230V-343. Two small holes exist on the bottom side one labeled M, the other S.

I'm trying to identify what this part is so that I can replace it and get the unit back to its original design state.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tony
SM#443-Grand Cru

Tony,

The following should be what you want

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550

On Sat, May 14, 2022 at 3:39 PM Tony Elliott <tonye@...> wrote:
Hello all,

I have a request to make to all Amel SM owners. I am looking for the circuit diagram for the Climma Compact 9 AMEL electrical box - part number M61037AMEL. I have collected other cct diagrams through this forum for the Climma systems (M4659A panel, pump relay box M4622) but I am unable to locate this specific cct diagram. I have three of these onboard and am assuming they are original units. The M61037AMEL is the part number on the label of the internal frame where all the relays and capacitor connections are made. The black plastic electrical box cover shows a different part number of M60018AMEL.

Thanks in advance,

Tony Elliott
SM#443, Grand Cru

Tony Elliott