SM Genoa Furler question

I am searching for more information than I currently have on the Forestay Bushings which are inside the SM Genoa Gearbox.

The material used for these bushings?
The size of the bushings including the diameter of the inside opening?
Anything else?

image.png

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550

Ian Park

Bill
When I neglected to replace these on my SN after replacing the Genoa furler bearings, I asked AMEL in Martinique about the issues. I was told that they aren’t really necessary. Having just replaced my rigging I could see no ill effects from their absence.
Not a recommendation - just an observation!

Ian

On 31 May 2022, at 17:28, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

I am searching for more information than I currently have on the Forestay Bushings which are inside the SM Genoa Gearbox.

The material used for these bushings?
The size of the bushings including the diameter of the inside opening?
Anything else?

image.png

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550

Ian, thanks for that.

I assumed that the bushings would reduce the oscillation caused by the furler gearbox on the stay. I assume that someone at Amel many years ago assumed the same. Regarding this component, I think I would want to have the advice of someone who was there manny years ago. I am going to ask Alban LEROY in Martinique and go with whatever he says. I will let you know by responding to this post.

Bill

On Wed, Jun 1, 2022 at 9:16 AM Ian Park <parkianj@...> wrote:
Bill
When I neglected to replace these on my SN after replacing the Genoa furler bearings, I asked AMEL in Martinique about the issues. I was told that they aren’t really necessary. Having just replaced my rigging I could see no ill effects from their absence.
Not a recommendation - just an observation!

Ian

On 31 May 2022, at 17:28, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

I am searching for more information than I currently have on the Forestay Bushings which are inside the SM Genoa Gearbox.

The material used for these bushings?
The size of the bushings including the diameter of the inside opening?
Anything else?

image.png

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550

Bill Kinney

As we were re-assembling our furler with the Amel Martinique team, my understanding was they thought these bushings were very important.  It seems to me they would be, otherwise the inside of the furling drum  would rub on the swage, and be off-center from the weight of the furling motor. There would be a significant bending stress on the whole system where the foil attaches to the furling drum.

Unfortunately, we got all that together before we thought to measure, so I'm afraid I can't help with dimensions.  From a materials standpoint, either Delrin or UHMWPE would seem an excellent choice. If you need one pair, it would be just as cheap to make 10, and have a lifetime supply.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Le Marin, Martinique

Ian Park

Fortunately my masts have yet to go back up. I have a new pair which I will replace this time!!
I can measure the length but the diameters would be different on the SN. My forestay is 10mm and I don’t know if the inside of the furling drum is the same size on the SM.

Ian
Ocean Hobo

Measure them if you can.

Bill

On Sat, Jun 4, 2022 at 1:42 AM Ian Park <parkianj@...> wrote:
Fortunately my masts have yet to go back up. I have a new pair which I will replace this time!!
I can measure the length but the diameters would be different on the SN. My forestay is 10mm and I don’t know if the inside of the furling drum is the same size on the SM.

Ian
Ocean Hobo

Marc and Patricia Skipwith

Hello Bill,

What Amel are you referring to?

Sincerely

Marc Skipwith

As we were re-assembling our furler with the Amel Martinique team, my understanding was they thought these bushings were very important.  It seems to me they would be, otherwise the inside of the furling drum  would rub on the swage, and be off-center from the weight of the furling motor. There would be a significant bending stress on the whole system where the foil attaches to the furling drum.

Unfortunately, we got all that together before we thought to measure, so I'm afraid I can't help with dimensions.  From a materials standpoint, either Delrin or UHMWPE would seem an excellent choice. If you need one pair, it would be just as cheap to make 10, and have a lifetime supply.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Le Marin, Martinique

Referring to the SM genoa furler.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Owners Yacht School
+1 832-380-4970 | brouse@...
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550
www.AmelOwnersYachtSchool.com

On Mon, Jun 6, 2022, 11:06 Marc and Patricia Skipwith <skipiousmaximus@...> wrote:

[...]

karkauai

Kristy had not had those bushings since I got her 12 years ago.  There seem to be no oscillations nor I'll effects on the swage or cable.
--
Kent & Iris
KRISTY

Kent,

Thanks.

Bill

On Mon, Jun 6, 2022 at 7:40 PM karkauai via groups.io <karkauai=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Kristy had not had those bushings since I got her 12 years ago.  There seem to be no oscillations nor I'll effects on the swage or cable.
--
Kent & Iris
KRISTY
SM243

Ian Park

Bill
Photos of Santorin forestay bush.

27 mm and 37 mm with a 10 mm forestay

Best wishes

Ian

Thanks to all who participated.

BTW, The last generation of the Genoa furler was used on the SN & SM. It seems that the consensus of opinion is that these are not really needed.