Fresh Water Pump stopped working


Alex Lomakin
 

Dear all,

A few days ago I dismantled my original SM fresh water pump to clean off lots of rust on a body of electric motor. Did that, gave it a lick of paint, installed it back and it is no longer working: there is no pressure in the system and no water from the taps.
The electric motor spins, the inside of the pump is clean. I also did my best to make sure it was not air-locked, but to no avail.
Any ideas what it might be, please?


Thank you very much,

Alex
SM 416


Slavko Despotovic
 

I have the same pump. There is a screw on the left side on the front of the pump (it 13,15 or 17). There you have to add water and then it will start working. That was how I fixed it after replacing some parts.

Regards,

--
Slavko
SM 2000
#279 Bonne Anse in Croatia


Slavko Despotovic
 

I adding the schematics of the pump. Item 25 have to unscrewed.
--
Slavko
SM 2000
#279 Bonne Anse in Croatia


Ian Townsend
 

Or you could replace it with a self-priming, variable pressure, compact Shurflo Aqua-King II! We did this last year. Fabulous pump.





-------- Original message --------
From: Slavko Despotovic <slavko@...>
Date: 2022-06-04 12:30 p.m. (GMT-05:00)
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Fresh Water Pump stopped working

I have the same pump. There is a screw on the left side on the front of the pump (it 13,15 or 17). There you have to add water and then it will start working. That was how I fixed it after replacing some parts.

Regards,

--
Slavko
SM 2000
#279 Bonne Anse in Croatia


Slavko Despotovic
 

This is option as well. Parts for my pump were 25 euro and few hours of work from my side. 

--
Slavko
SM 2000
#279 Bonne Anse in Croatia


 

It is very easy to mount the one-way valve backward. And, sometimes the on-way valve will get stuck open with a piece of debris. Also, this is very important, any suction leak of any kind will cause the same problem and suction leaks cannot be seen. Make absolutely sure the hose connection to the copper is sealed with silicone sealant. BTW, when new it was glued by Amel.

image.png

image.png
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
   

On Sat, Jun 4, 2022 at 11:41 AM Slavko Despotovic <slavko@...> wrote:
This is option as well. Parts for my pump were 25 euro and few hours of work from my side. 

--
Slavko
SM 2000
#279 Bonne Anse in Croatia


Alex Lomakin
 

Dear all,

 

After having sent to all of you my previous desperate message, yesterday I spent another few hours inside the engine compartment and here is my report:

 

  1. I scrolled once again through the Bill’s Amel Book, then its online supplements and, although before dismantling the pump was working flawlessly, just in case, I watched the YouTube clip on how to adjust the pressure switch, where it was also suggested to check whether the switch’s “orifice” was clean. So I did just that and here I had my biggest surprise so far: the “orifice” was completely clogged with some very nasty looking rusty goo, which must have accumulated there since the boat was launched some 18 years ago…
  2. I cleaned the “orifice”, put everything back together - no luck.
  3. Then I disconnected hoses from both the suction pipe and pressurised water nozzle, put the suction hose in a bottle of water, ran the pump again - nothing.
  4. Lastly, I decided to “prime” the pump manually and filled it with water from the bottle, switch the pump on and finally it had spit the water out with a very good pressure!
  5. I primed the pump manually again, connected hoses back to the system, switch the pump on and (OMG!!!) the water has started running merrily from all taps, etc. In due course, the pressure switch clicked off, then on and so on in a very normal fashion - problem solved…
  6. No, it was not solved as I have noticed a very small leak dropping down from the pressurised hose or so I thought. The hose, however, was completely fine. And here was my second surprise: the small leak was coming from underneath and old completely discoloured sticker with some signs of corrosion on top of the accumulator tank. So I scratch a bit of the sticker off and there it was: very thin and “beautiful” column of vaporised water as if it was coming from a domestic room humidifier… The tank had a very tiny corrosion crack in it and, obviously, the pump could not self-prime, etc.

 

My biggest question, of course, is why the pump had actually worked before my not-so-divine intervention and the only “scientific” explanation I could think of is that the tank has been corroding for quite some time by now and given that, once dismantled, the pump was exposed to the sun a couple of times for a few hours (while lying on the deck), the tank has finally cracked in its weakest spot due to the metal’s thermal expansion (recently daily temperatures in Port Napoleon have been well above 30C in the shade and closer to 50+C on the open sun).

 

 

Anyway, my next problem is where to get a new accumulator tank from (for now I refuse to give up and buy a new pump…).

 

The tanks available on SVB are too wide and will not fit.

 

I have come across a Spanish online seller, which seems to have a correct tank (https://www.imnasa.com/en/accumulator-tank-2-l-amfa-40b-66b-88b.html), but, although it seems to be able to sell its products to international clientele, it has “demanded” a number of my ID Card to process the order and ID Cards are not introduced in the Blighty, at least yet…

 

So, guys, has anyone of you bought anything from the Imnasa and how did you do that, please?

 

Or, if you have any alternative suggestions on where to get a new tank from, I would really appreciate your help.

 

 

NB    Tomorrow I will myself try Nicola Collins from Nauticool recommended by Bill.

 

 

Thank you very much,

 

Alex

SM 416

 

PS     Dear Slavko, thanks a great bunch for pointing out “item 25” to me. I hope it shall help me prime the pump after I fix it (keeping fingers crossed…)


 

Alex,

I am glad you have the pump back in working condition.

The pump is self-priming. After opening the pump as you did, as you start up the system, you need to open a tap inside the boat for the pump to be able to displace the air in the system. Then if the pump is in working condition and there is no vacuum leak on the suction side, it will self-prime. The hole in the accumulator tank is on the pressure side and would not interfere with self-priming.

Bill

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
   

On Sun, Jun 5, 2022 at 6:59 AM Alex Lomakin via groups.io <alexander.a.lomakin=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

Dear all,

 

After having sent to all of you my previous desperate message, yesterday I spent another few hours inside the engine compartment and here is my report:

 

  1. I scrolled once again through the Bill’s Amel Book, then its online supplements and, although before dismantling the pump was working flawlessly, just in case, I watched the YouTube clip on how to adjust the pressure switch, where it was also suggested to check whether the switch’s “orifice” was clean. So I did just that and here I had my biggest surprise so far: the “orifice” was completely clogged with some very nasty looking rusty goo, which must have accumulated there since the boat was launched some 18 years ago…
  2. I cleaned the “orifice”, put everything back together - no luck.
  3. Then I disconnected hoses from both the suction pipe and pressurised water nozzle, put the suction hose in a bottle of water, ran the pump again - nothing.
  4. Lastly, I decided to “prime” the pump manually and filled it with water from the bottle, switch the pump on and finally it had spit the water out with a very good pressure!
  5. I primed the pump manually again, connected hoses back to the system, switch the pump on and (OMG!!!) the water has started running merrily from all taps, etc. In due course, the pressure switch clicked off, then on and so on in a very normal fashion - problem solved…
  6. No, it was not solved as I have noticed a very small leak dropping down from the pressurised hose or so I thought. The hose, however, was completely fine. And here was my second surprise: the small leak was coming from underneath and old completely discoloured sticker with some signs of corrosion on top of the accumulator tank. So I scratch a bit of the sticker off and there it was: very thin and “beautiful” column of vaporised water as if it was coming from a domestic room humidifier… The tank had a very tiny corrosion crack in it and, obviously, the pump could not self-prime, etc.

 

My biggest question, of course, is why the pump had actually worked before my not-so-divine intervention and the only “scientific” explanation I could think of is that the tank has been corroding for quite some time by now and given that, once dismantled, the pump was exposed to the sun a couple of times for a few hours (while lying on the deck), the tank has finally cracked in its weakest spot due to the metal’s thermal expansion (recently daily temperatures in Port Napoleon have been well above 30C in the shade and closer to 50+C on the open sun).

 

 

Anyway, my next problem is where to get a new accumulator tank from (for now I refuse to give up and buy a new pump…).

 

The tanks available on SVB are too wide and will not fit.

 

I have come across a Spanish online seller, which seems to have a correct tank (https://www.imnasa.com/en/accumulator-tank-2-l-amfa-40b-66b-88b.html), but, although it seems to be able to sell its products to international clientele, it has “demanded” a number of my ID Card to process the order and ID Cards are not introduced in the Blighty, at least yet…

 

So, guys, has anyone of you bought anything from the Imnasa and how did you do that, please?

 

Or, if you have any alternative suggestions on where to get a new tank from, I would really appreciate your help.

 

 

NB    Tomorrow I will myself try Nicola Collins from Nauticool recommended by Bill.

 

 

Thank you very much,

 

Alex

SM 416

 

PS     Dear Slavko, thanks a great bunch for pointing out “item 25” to me. I hope it shall help me prime the pump after I fix it (keeping fingers crossed…)


Carlos Martin
 

Coloque este equipo en mi Mango de 1980 y va perfecto, silencioso, poco peso y a un precio razonable
https://www.francobordo.com/seaflo-bomba-presion-con-acumulador-p-346238.html?options={284}14363 


 

Carlos,

I have serious doubts about that pump. First of all, it is 12 volts, secondly, it is a diaphragm pump much like the Jabsco PAR Max.

Bill


CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
   


On Sun, Jun 5, 2022 at 1:47 PM Carlos Martin <carlosmhanhewer@...> wrote:
Coloque este equipo en mi Mango de 1980 y va perfecto, silencioso, poco peso y a un precio razonable
https://www.francobordo.com/seaflo-bomba-presion-con-acumulador-p-346238.html?options={284}14363 


Slavko Despotovic
 

Hello,

maybe this might help.

http://www.cempumps.com/default.php?t=site&pgid=124

--
Slavko
SM 2000
#279 Bonne Anse in Croatia


Alex Lomakin
 

Dear all,

 

The “real life” priorities have distracted me for a while from taking care of our lovely Silver Star, but I got back to her this morning and the fresh water pump is finally fully functional again: well, almost fully… Please read below.

 

First of all, dear Slavko, thank you very much for letting me know about CEM Pumps (http://www.cempumps.com) - an absolutely brilliant bunch of people (Barbara, Sara and Andrea). I have contacted them on the very next day over the phone and then email (+39 059 549 283; info@...) and in less than a week I got a new 2L accumulator tank, which fitted to my old fresh water pump perfectly (I did it this morning).

 

Then, given that for some specific products French Amazon needs 2 to 6 weeks delivery time, while my pretty much non-existent French (shame on me)! makes it impossible to use any alternative local suppliers, I got quite lucky and found another great company, Polymax Ltd (https://www.polymax.co.uk), which could supply you with any O-rings at all, from a plain vanilla to a complex custom design, in a very short period of time. Plus, they ship it anywhere in the world. Kieran and Tom are your best contacts there (+44 1420 474123; sales@...). With their help I received all the O-rings required for the pump overhaul in 3 days despite all the post-BREXIT problems for trans-border trade between the UK and the EU.

 

So this morning I assembled the pump, manually primed it (from the bottle), attached all the hoses and finally we have water running from all the taps with a very good pressure.

 

So why is it just “almost fully” functional? Well, when I open either the galley or the bow head tap, the cleaned up pressure switch works perfectly (switches on at 1 bar and cuts off at circa 2.05-2.10 bar with a”working cycle” of around 35-40 seconds), but when I use the tap in the aft head the pressure does not go above 1.95 bar and the pump keeps working permanently, which is not ideal.

 

NB I have “inflated” the new accumulator tank to 2.0 bar.

 

Hence, one of the jobs for tomorrow is to check the showers, read again a relevant part in the Bill’s book and then “play” with a “smaller nut” in the pressure switch aiming to lower the cut-off pressure to about 1.95 bar, which shall be plenty.

 

 

Lastly, once again thanks a great bunch to all of you for your help and very useful info.


Have a great w/e,

 

Alex


 

You might have some air in the line. Let the aft tap and shower run a while with hot and cold water and see if it improves. It is 1 closed system and all should operate the same.


CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
   

On Fri, Jun 17, 2022 at 12:12 PM Alex Lomakin via groups.io <alexander.a.lomakin=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

Dear all,

 

The “real life” priorities have distracted me for a while from taking care of our lovely Silver Star, but I got back to her this morning and the fresh water pump is finally fully functional again: well, almost fully… Please read below.

 

First of all, dear Slavko, thank you very much for letting me know about CEM Pumps (http://www.cempumps.com) - an absolutely brilliant bunch of people (Barbara, Sara and Andrea). I have contacted them on the very next day over the phone and then email (+39 059 549 283; info@...) and in less than a week I got a new 2L accumulator tank, which fitted to my old fresh water pump perfectly (I did it this morning).

 

Then, given that for some specific products French Amazon needs 2 to 6 weeks delivery time, while my pretty much non-existent French (shame on me)! makes it impossible to use any alternative local suppliers, I got quite lucky and found another great company, Polymax Ltd (https://www.polymax.co.uk), which could supply you with any O-rings at all, from a plain vanilla to a complex custom design, in a very short period of time. Plus, they ship it anywhere in the world. Kieran and Tom are your best contacts there (+44 1420 474123; sales@...). With their help I received all the O-rings required for the pump overhaul in 3 days despite all the post-BREXIT problems for trans-border trade between the UK and the EU.

 

So this morning I assembled the pump, manually primed it (from the bottle), attached all the hoses and finally we have water running from all the taps with a very good pressure.

 

So why is it just “almost fully” functional? Well, when I open either the galley or the bow head tap, the cleaned up pressure switch works perfectly (switches on at 1 bar and cuts off at circa 2.05-2.10 bar with a”working cycle” of around 35-40 seconds), but when I use the tap in the aft head the pressure does not go above 1.95 bar and the pump keeps working permanently, which is not ideal.

 

NB I have “inflated” the new accumulator tank to 2.0 bar.

 

Hence, one of the jobs for tomorrow is to check the showers, read again a relevant part in the Bill’s book and then “play” with a “smaller nut” in the pressure switch aiming to lower the cut-off pressure to about 1.95 bar, which shall be plenty.

 

 

Lastly, once again thanks a great bunch to all of you for your help and very useful info.


Have a great w/e,

 

Alex