locked Engine troubles in Sardegna

Kimberly Bunch

Hi all,

We have the Maramu #98 1981 with the infamous, invincible "Mr Perkins" engine, 4.154 M. Well, he's overheated on us  ( the alarm didn't sound and luckily my husband just happened tobe looking at the temperature gauge next to the helm). After replacing the cooling fluid, and motoring a short time to get to safety, the next day all the coolant had drained into the bilge!

We think it's probably the water pump in the cooling system that needs to be replaced. My husband is planning to order another water pump from Perkins suppliers in the UK and have it shipped to us here in Olbia, Italy. Then he'll attempt to refit it correctly. He's not an engine mechanic and we are a bit worried to ask someone here to do it, knowing that there are very few mechanics working with Perkins motors at all.

So, I am asking for any advice that will help us do the job please. Or if anyone has a mechanic they know in Olbia or nearby in Sardegna ( long shot I know!)

Also, the cover for the place where you add the coolant has just broken! Does anyone know of someone who has replaced their engine but kept parts like this?

We are so disappointed as we are midway on our trip from France to Greece 😥 any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Kimberly SV Kujira Maramu #98

1 - 1 of 1

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Kimberly. All the cooling fluid in the bilge? Check all hoses and hose connections, simple stuff. Connections to the heat exchanger. I would doubt it is a pump failure. Hoses do split, particularly when they are old. Hose clips can rust and hoses come off, O rings get old and fail.
Fill the coolant tank, run the engine sitting in the engine room and see where the coolant is leaking from. I recently had a coolant hose come off on my genset engine. Fortunately I saw the coolant sloshing around where it shouldn't be so it was no big deal/
Kind Regards
Danny
SM 299
Ocean Pearl

On 05/06/2022 20:28 Kimberly Bunch via groups.io <kimberlybunch@...> wrote:

[...]

James Alton

Kimberly,

   I agree with Danny that this should not be a difficult job to correct.  As suggested the first step is to figure out where the leak is.  You can fill the cooling system with plain water initially to do your leak checking so that you are not adding more coolant to the bilge.  After correcting the leak you will need to drain the system and refill with 50/50 antifreeze and water.  ( I always use distilled water but it can be hard to find in your location)   If you find that the fresh water cooling pump is leaking,  it is an easy change out.  I changed ours preemptively without much hassle.   Be sure that your replacement pump comes with a gasket!   More than likely the leakage is a hose or a connection somewhere.  If you don't find the problem on the engine itself, check the hot water heater loop and hoses which carry coolant.  I There are two 4.154 engines and not all parts are interchangeable.  I think that the freshwater cooling pump is interchangeable between the two models but ask to be sure.  Your  engine number will show whether you have the English or the Japanese Series 200 model.  You can also ID the engine by the type of injection pump it has.  My primary contacts for Sardinia are in Arbatax which is South of you.

   I am guessing that you are talking about the cooling system cap breaking?  If so we found a replacement in Sardinia after some searching, it fit some model of a truck. The actual coolant tank and exhaust manifold should be by Bowman.  You can PM me if you think I can help further.

Best,

James Alton
SV Sueno
Maramu #220
Marmaris, Turkey

[...]

Dan Carlson

James, do you know the pressure rating for the cap? Sometimes the caps that fit comes with different pressure relief ratings.  So it would be good to know the pressure rating to be looking for. It's usually stamped on the cap.

Best regards, Daniel Carlson on sv BeBe, SM #387

On 05/06/2022 20:28 Kimberly Bunch via groups.io <kimberlybunch=yahoo.co.nz@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Daniel,

   While the truck radiator cap that I found in Sardinia seemed to work ok I wanted to be sure that I had the correct one, So when I had more time I bought two radiator caps that were for the Bowman exhaust manifold and one of those caps is being used on the engine.  You are correct about stamping.   I just took a look and the cap is stamped on the bottom showing  7 lbs.

Best,

James Alton
SV Sueno
Maramu 220

[...]

Thank you Danny for your reply. We did check that it wasn't any of the hoses or clips, etc first.

We've found a hole in the fresh water pump ( see photo below) and now it's a struggle to get the nuts and bolts off to remove it. We're in the process of trying to find a replacement pump of the right model. What should be easy is made complicated by the fact that it's 40 years old, the nuts are rusty and we've tried heating them, WD40 and brute force. Only a couple of them have budged...

Kimberly Bunch

Thanks James for your help also! Here is the info on our engine... It's actually made in Pakistan! Surprising!

serial number GA00270V38990G.. So  GA=4.154, V=Pakistan, G=1980

Thanks also for reminding us to check the pump we order will come with a gasket. Nothing worse than a missing gasket!

We'd really appreciate your contact info in Arbatax.

Thanks again,

Kimberly

James Alton

Kimberly,

   Parts for engines,  (parts4engines.com) has the freshwater pump in stock for 95 pounds.  They have been quick to ship items to me.  I ordered a gasket set yesterday for my series 200 Perkins and it shipped today.  Wire brush off the paint and rust on the stubs for the water pump and soak with PB Blaster or whatever penetrating oil that you can get ahold of.  Tap on the nuts respray and be patient.  The heat will help draw the penetrating oil in. The hole in the water pump is a drain hole and needs to be left open.  When the seals are good there is no leakage out of the hole.  Unfortunately once the seals fail the water pump bearings tend to fail in fairly short order so you need to get this fixed.

Best of luck,

James Alton
SV Sueno
Maramu #220

Thank you Danny for your reply. We did check that it wasn't any of the hoses or clips, etc first.

We've found a hole in the fresh water pump ( see photo below) and now it's a struggle to get the nuts and bolts off to remove it. We're in the process of trying to find a replacement pump of the right model. What should be easy is made complicated by the fact that it's 40 years old, the nuts are rusty and we've tried heating them, WD40 and brute force. Only a couple of them have budged...

James Alton

Kimberly,

  The Perkins engine was a pretty popular engine but I did not know that some were some manufactured in Pakistan.

  My contact in Arbatax is Umberto at the Reiulta yard. If you contact him, let him know that you have been in contact with James and Joann SV Sueno,  We stored with Umberto for years and found him to be  honest and fair.  Getting parts in Sardinia did prove to be a bit difficult unfortunately. If I can help further let me know.

James Alton
SV Sueno
Maramu #220

Thanks James for your help also! Here is the info on our engine... It's actually made in Pakistan! Surprising!

serial number GA00270V38990G.. So  GA=4.154, V=Pakistan, G=1980

Thanks also for reminding us to check the pump we order will come with a gasket. Nothing worse than a missing gasket!

We'd really appreciate your contact info in Arbatax.

Thanks again,

Kimberly

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Kimberly, a get you going for the moment fix would be hand moldable epoxy. I used it on the exhaust elbow on a previous yacht when I was on an ocean passage. It lasted well. The product I used was emerkit. It will even adhere to wet or underwater surfaces, wood, epoxy or metal. I wont go to sea without it aboard.
Kind Regards
Danny
SM 299
Ocean Pearl

On 08/06/2022 01:08 Kimberly Bunch via groups.io <kimberlybunch@...> wrote:

Thank you Danny for your reply. We did check that it wasn't any of the hoses or clips, etc first.

We've found a hole in the fresh water pump ( see photo below) and now it's a struggle to get the nuts and bolts off to remove it. We're in the process of trying to find a replacement pump of the right model. What should be easy is made complicated by the fact that it's 40 years old, the nuts are rusty and we've tried heating them, WD40 and brute force. Only a couple of them have budged...

Kimberly Bunch

Thanks James!
We now suppose the serial number was written incorrectly or we read it wrong. And that the V is actually a U for United Kingdom 🤣

Unfortunately I think the parts 4 engines does not have the pump with the correct spacing between the bolts...we have heard good things about the company from our friends also.

Thanks for all the tips. We'll try everything we can! And we'll try to get in touch with Umberto. Hope he can help us.

Cheers,

Kimberly
SV Kujira Maramu #98
Sardegna

Kimberly Bunch

Thanks Danny. That's a good product to have in case you need it. We'll probably try for a longer term solution first, but may have to do what you have suggested.

Cheers,
Kimberly SV Kujira Maramu #98
Sardegna

James Alton

Kimberly,

   Back in 2016 I had a freshwater pump for the UK version of the Perkins 4.154  engine shipped to a friend in Palermo, Italy.  The pump reportably fit and the shipping while expensive was fast.  Here is the company link:  www.loaderpartssource.com.  My contact was Amanda.  If you need the part number let me know and I will locate it for you.    I have had pretty good luck with parts ordered from Parts4engines, I am surprised that you have heard that the bolt pattern for the pumps they are selling are incorrect.  Parts4Engines just shipped me a top end gasket set and processing took one day.  Shipping is fast to the US, not sure about Italy.  Best of luck.

James Alton
SV Sueno
Maramu #220

We now suppose the serial number was written incorrectly or we read it wrong. And that the V is actually a U for United Kingdom 🤣

Unfortunately I think the parts 4 engines does not have the pump with the correct spacing between the bolts...we have heard good things about the company from our friends also.

Thanks for all the tips. We'll try everything we can! And we'll try to get in touch with Umberto. Hope he can help us.

Cheers,

Kimberly
SV Kujira Maramu #98
Sardegna

Also, this might be the last resort but do not rule out a machine shop fabrication of a replacement bushing or any other part.

As your boat and installed devices get older and parts become rare, you may have to find your "favorite machine shop."

Bill

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550

On Wed, Jun 8, 2022 at 8:50 AM James Alton via groups.io <lokiyawl2=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Wolfgang Weber

We found the leakage of our coolingsystem by a pressure test . This equipment should have a normal car mechanic . The pressuetest will be done by filled up coolingsystem with pressing air in the system little above the noted pressure on the cap of the coolingsystem .
Wolfgang Weber SY Elise Amel 54 #162 La Rochelle

Kimberly Bunch

Thanks James. Yes please, we'd like the part number. And we'll try them if the other orders don't come through.

Parts4engines stipulates on their website that there are two versions with different measurements.47 and 49 and that they only have 47. Ours is definitely more than 47.
What a headache, sorry about that.

Cheers
Kim

James Alton

Kim,

   That is interesting about the different stud spacing measurements, too bad.  You might ask Amanda to clarify the measurements on the pump listed below to be sure that it is what you need before ordering.  I can tell you that the pump listed below fit a 1983 UK model Perkins and also my 1987 Perkins series 200.  If I can help further let me know.  If you want to send me your email address I will send you the entire back and forth thread on the pump order, there could be some useful information contained.

Best,
James Alton
SV Sueno
Maramu #220

Cut and pasted from the order sent to Amanda:

Perkins Engine Water Pump for Bobcat OEM 6630541, Later Model"

Make: Perkins
Model:
Machine Serial #: 6630541
#'s on Part: