Santorin mast height and ICW

Craig Briggs

Hi Paul,
We've done the AICW several times in our Santorin, going outside when favorable but having been inside for the entire route from southern Florida to Norfolk at one time or another.

There are no bridge issues. There are many depth issues.

The "holy grail" is "Bob423" - google him if you do it and get his routes, which are foolproof and he identifies those sections that absolutely need to be timed with the tide. The charts are not accurate and you can go hard aground smack-dab on the "magenta" channel line of your charts. Follow Bob423, where sometimes you must go outside of the channel markers. You can even do the Dismal Swamp route but you will regularly bounce on submerged stumps - we will not do that again.

That being said, the ICW is an excellent way to proceed when you do not have a "weather window" to go offshore, or if you simply want to slow down and "smell the coffee" where there are many very appealing places to explore and relax. Several stretches also offer great sailing in calm water when the wind is right - we've run whole days sailing at 7-8 knots.
--
Craig Briggs - s/v Sangaris / SN68  Tropic Isle Harbor, FL

Eric Meury

Yes I have taken my Santorin Down The ICW from norfolk - morehead   -  (did not do dismal swamp) - only issue i had was the alligator river swing bridge but that is because i didn't listen to the admiral (wife)    There are a few other places that you will have to do high tide

St Mary's Georgia - all the way to lake worth.  Again there are places to plan for the tide for the depth.

We never had an issue with mast height.

I don't know about any other areas.

Based upon our experience, doing the ICW from norfolk to morehead and then anchoring in Cape Lookout is worth it once or twice.  this part of the ICW is enjoyable and a few of the towns are nice to stop at.  We anchored near Elizabeth city for almost a week because the bridges were out because of high water. - so if you are on a schedule much can go wrong.

ST marys is a great inlet on the east coast.  Going south from here St Augustine is also with doing once or twice.  - past that isn't much fun except to see a rocket launch.    We only went all the way to lake worth once because the mother inlaw was with us.  The santorin can fit under the bridge at stuart florida and we grabbed a ball there when our son was a few months old (he learned to walk here)

I see you are a potential amel buyer -  We sold our santorin this january and it is a great platform.

As far as inside of the Keys and south of miami i did hit bottom in my cheoy lee that was 3.7 draft   -   I was 19 or 20 at the time. and well let's just leave it at that.

On Tue, Jun 21, 2022 at 1:43 PM Paul Harries via groups.io <Pharries=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Has anyone taken a Santorin down the ICW along the East coast of US? Were there any problem bridges?
--
Paul Harries
Prospective Amel Buyer

Eric Freedman

25 Years ago, I took my Tartan 37 which draws 4 feet with the centerboard up

between Marathon key and Palm beach. We went aground 4 times in the channel.

I don’t believe the ICW depth has improved. I would skip it, unless you have someone on board with local knowledge.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376