Galvanic corrosion

Billy Newport

I replaced the radar bracket on #56 when I got my boat also. 200 bucks to replace or so. I think my hatches were already replaced when I got the boat. I do see small patches of paint bubbles around stress points (boom/mast, vang/boom) as Bill mentions. They were visible when I purchased (3 years old).

Billy (Amel 55#56)

karkauai

Paint on aluminum is all about preparation before painting.  Clean, really dry surface, good aluminum primer, then paint immediately.  The same is true for powder coating...if it isn't properly prepped, the paint won't last.

For galvanic corrosion, nylon sleeves and/or washers help a lot.
--
Kent & Iris
KRISTY

Joan Blaas

Hi Ales,

On my Amel A55#05 from 2012 I have similar but viewer spots on the mast. Mostly around stainless steal bolts. This autumn we are going to repaint these areas.

The radar mast bracket was fairly corroded and I had it powder coated already.

When it comes to the lewmar hatches I replaced all of them last winter with plain aluminium ones. The paint on the old hatches was very bad and the plastic handles, rubbers etc where worn out.

Regards

Joan
Caconano
Amel A55#05

Aleš Marinšek

Thank you all.
Bill, thanks for pointing out also the seal issue.

Bruno COTTE

My A 55 #63 from end 2017. I repainted all hatches this year plus different zones on masts .
Envoyé de mon iPhone

Le 30 juin 2022 à 17:19, Bruno COTTE via groups.io <cotte.bruno@...> a écrit :

Classic local corrosion . To be treated locally

Envoyé de mon iPhone

Le 30 juin 2022 à 15:31, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> a écrit :

I have reviewed about 15 A55s and many more A54s. I can mostly answer your questions with some facts and some opinions. The facts stand for themselves, the opinions are mine.

Mast/spar paint bubbling:
It is very difficult to paint aluminum to last more than 8 - 10 years. I also believe that primers and paints have changed in the last 20 years, removing certain "hazardous" chemicals, and making good adhesion to aluminum more difficult. The manufacturing of the aluminum spar might be a contributor because poor manufacturing will trap pockets of air, gasses and other contaminants within the metal during the manufacturing process. Regardless of who the supplier to Amel is, I wonder if the spars were made in China. If the slightest amount of moisture or air, even microscopic, gets between the aluminum and painted surfaces, the paint will bubble. Also probably contributing to this paint issue is also the environment where the mast is painted and the skill of the painter. For best paint adhesion the mast should be in a climate-controlled environment with an emphasis on controlling humidity to be very low. Lastly, you may notice these bubbles near strees points on the booms and spars because stress is causing some tiny, even microscopic, fissures in the paint and between the paint and the aluminum.

We used to see this on 10 to 15-year-old Amels. With the 55 we saw this in as little as 2 years, but most beginning at about 5 years. I do not know which of the above reasons contributed to the issue but be assured that any aluminum painting is at risk.

Hatches:
This defect falls into the same cause/effect as above. It is a known defect in the manufacturing of these Lewmar powder-coated hatches which I believe were made in China. When I look closely it appears to me that the manufacturer did not use any primer. At one point, Lemar would exchange these for new hatches, but not pay for installation. I was told by a 55 owner that Amel installed new hatches during the 55s 2-year warranty. Lewmar is under new ownership and I doubt you can get them to do anything and all 55s are out of warranty.

Manual Furler and Mainmast Motor:
You have another issue that should be addressed ASAP. Here is a photo. Feel free to contact me if you wish to discuss this.
image.png

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550

On Thu, Jun 30, 2022, 04:30 Aleš Marinšek <alesmarinsek67@...> wrote:
Hello everyone,

I recently saw two AMEL 55, both from 2014, with galvanic corrosion on the mast, mizzen and booms as well as on the hatches. The white paint bubbles and peels off. The underlying aluminium looks oxidized. Please, see attached photos.
I wonder if this is just a cosmetic issue or a structural problem? Does similar corrosion occur on other AMELs (55 or maybe 54)?
I will appreciate your feedback.

Ales

3.jpg

2.jpg