removing engine or generator

Miles

Has anyone used the boom to remove the engine or the generator?  If so, how did you support the boom?   I saw an engine being replaced in Martinique, but unfortunately I did not look closely.  Is it possible to use the topping lift wire to support the boom?  They lifted the engine with a chain lifting system attached to the boom and then swung the boom and engine over and lowered the old engine onto the dock.  I would like to do the same thing and I would be very grateful if someone who had done it would advise me.

Miles
s/y Ladybug, sm216 Newport, RI

Mark McGovern

Edited

Miles,

Craig Briggs from Sangaris has done it many times and describes his process in detail in this post:  https://amelyachtowners.groups.io/g/main/message/41078

He has a Santorin but I imagine the procedure will be almost identical in an SM. Good luck!

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara

JB Duler

Hello Miles,

I think the boom is strong enough. I used the topping lift + the dyneema halyard tied up in a loop around the boom, roughly where the lifting point is.
The engine was lowered on the cockpit locker. Everything on an Amel is bullet proof.
We had a crane on the road taking it off the boat as we were docked stern to. If you dock alongside it will be easy to use the boom and swing it onto a pallet.

--
John Bernard "JB" Duler
San Francisco

Nick Newington

Hi Miles,
I removed the old 11kw Onan and installed a new one using the boom and one other person.
The Onan unhoused weighs 292KG. Whilst the Volvo D3 only weighs 232KG.

On the 54 with Volvo D3 the air filter was in the way so that was removed.
The pistons for the engine room hatch were unbolted and the hatch opened all the way and lashed.
The problem with the genset is to slide it to the centre. We used a couple of stout timbers that rested on the engine frame.
Clearly we removed all the hoses and cables fuel lines etc Then using a crowbar and some blocks of wood jimmied the Onan up to clear the mountings.
By using the Mizzen Staysail halyard and some rags to fair the leed  we managed to take a bit of weight off and slide the generator onto the stout timbers.
It was thus nearly clear to lift straight out.
I was reluctant to winch it up and away with only the halyard.  I also thought the topping lift for the boom a bit slight so using a halyard on the mainmast brought back to the end of the boom and snugged up tight. We then rigged a block and tackle on the boom. By using that and the halyard from the mizzen we raised it in steps. So  more stout timbers supported it at cockpit floor level.
Then up again to cockpit seat level.
At each step or lift we could check all was well before proceeding.

At the time Amelia was ashore. I wanted to drop it all the way to ground level but the block and tackle line was too short. So I had to go find an old halyard and re rig the tackle. Then it was easy; to raise it up over the cockpit coaming  and swing it out and all the way down.
I then sailed for about a month without a generator waiting for the new to arrive.
That was back in 2017…. It could have been the moment to go Lithium and not have a genset at all, but it was all a bit early…

As for getting the new installed, it was easier as we were alongside and knew the routine.

What is interesting is that the Volvo is lighter than the Onan.

A chain hoist would make it easier.

Nick (in U.K.)
S/Y Amelia
AML54-019 Leros

On 17 Jul 2022, at 07:27, JB Duler <jbduler@...> wrote:

Hello Miles,

I think the boom is strong enough. I used the topping lift + the dyneema halyard tied up in a loop around the boom, roughly where the lifting point is.
The engine was lowered on the cockpit locker. Everything on an Amel is bullet proof.
We had a crane on the road taking it off the boat as we were docked stern to. If you dock alongside it will be easy to use the boom and swing it onto a pallet.
dummyfile.0.part
dummyfile.1.part

--
John Bernard "JB" Duler