A54 and later models - Mainmast vertical electric furling motor

All concerned.

I learned a few things this morning while discussing the Mainmast Furling motor with Mohammad Shirloo, A54 #099 B&B Kokomo, Here they are:
  • The vertical mainmast furling motor from Amel is now 3300 €
  • The most likely points of water entry into this Mainmast Furling Motor that will result in failure are not only the 45X65X8 lip seal but also the hex-head bolt securing the Manual Furler Mating Hub to the furling Motor Shaft. 
In this photo, the hex-head bolt is circled in yellow inside the Mating Hub. It is easy to understand how water can pool inside the Mating Hub and leak into the motor. This should definitely be sealed with an O-ring or some other method. 
Typically water leaking through a Manual Furler with worn or missing seals including the V-Seal will cause the Mainmast Furling Motor to fail because of water intrusion.

image.png
image.png
image.png

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 

Laurens Vos

Perhaps a stupid question, but to change the seal and o-ring, it’s just to lower the motor, turn it outside a bit and change the seal and o-ring ?  What’s the advised years they need to replaced ? 

Bertrand Quénot

Bill.
It seems that the design of the A54 main mast furling motor
has changed at some point. Mine on Antinea A54 #43 is horizontal.
Unfortunately Amel seems not recalling that as I have just received from them the wrong motor. See picture attached.

Bertrand
SV ANTINEA
A54#43 Currently in Tahiti

Le 20 juin 2022 à 04:59, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> a écrit :

All concerned.

I learned a few things this morning while discussing the Mainmast Furling motor with Mohammad Shirloo, A54 #099 B&B Kokomo, Here they are:
  • The vertical mainmast furling motor from Amel is now 3300 €
  • The most likely points of water entry into this Mainmast Furling Motor that will result in failure are not only the 45X65X8 lip seal but also the hex-head bolt securing the Manual Furler Mating Hub to the furling Motor Shaft. 
In this photo, the hex-head bolt is circled in yellow inside the Mating Hub. It is easy to understand how water can pool inside the Mating Hub and leak into the motor. This should definitely be sealed with an O-ring or some other method. 
Typically water leaking through a Manual Furler with worn or missing seals including the V-Seal will cause the Mainmast Furling Motor to fail because of water intrusion.

<image.png>

<image.png>

<image.png>

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School

Yes. Amel says 2 years on the lip seal. I suggest the same on the hex bolt seal. 

Best,

CW Bill Rouse 
Amel Owners Yacht School
+1 832-380-4970 | brouse@...
www.AmelOwnersYachtSchool.com 
Yacht School Calendar: www.preparetocastoff.blogspot.com/p/calendar.html

On Mon, Jun 20, 2022, 15:57 Laurens Vos <laurensrineke@...> wrote:
Perhaps a stupid question, but to change the seal and o-ring, it’s just to lower the motor, turn it outside a bit and change the seal and o-ring ?  What’s the advised years they need to replaced ?