Topics

A54: Cable length between main mast head and chart table

Sv Garulfo

Hi all,

Does anyone know the precise length of cable required to go from the top of the main mast to the chart table through the standard conduit on the Amel 54? For instance for the VHF antenna cable.

I’m considering using an pre-crimped FME-terminated RG-8x VHF cable and I need to select the correct length.

A contact at Pochon said « probably » 25m and a trusted owner said maybe 28m.

Thanks
Thomas
GARULFO
A54-122
Nuku Hiva, French Polynesia

I believe that 25m is not correct.

On an SM, I replaced the B&G 213MHU Mount which comes with a choice of cable length. I bought the 25m length. It terminates in a junction box behind a panel on the aft bulkhead of the forward head on an SM. I had about 2m extra. I believe on a 54 you will need 25m for a B&G 213 MHU Mount, so certainly to go to the Nav Table, you'll need more than 25m.

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School

View My Training Calendar
cloudHQPowered by
cloudHQ

On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 11:16 AM Sv Garulfo <svgarulfo@...> wrote:
Hi all,

Does anyone know the precise length of cable required to go from the top of the main mast to the chart table through the standard conduit on the Amel 54? For instance for the VHF antenna cable.

I’m considering using an pre-crimped FME-terminated RG-8x VHF cable and I need to select the correct length.

A contact at Pochon said « probably » 25m and a trusted owner said maybe 28m.

Thanks
Thomas
GARULFO
A54-122
Nuku Hiva, French Polynesia

Sv Garulfo

Hi all,

We have now installed the new antenna and vhf rg-8x cable from Glomex.

We bought the 30m of pre-crimped cable and it turns out 25m would work too, as we measured the minimum length with reasonable slack and bends to be 24.5m.

Best,

Thomas
GARULFO
A54-122
Tahiti

On 10 Feb 2020, at 07:16, S/V Garulfo <svgarulfo@...> wrote:

Hi all,

Does anyone know the precise length of cable required to go from the top of the main mast to the chart table through the standard conduit on the Amel 54? For instance for the VHF antenna cable.

I’m considering using an pre-crimped FME-terminated RG-8x VHF cable and I need to select the correct length.

A contact at Pochon said « probably » 25m and a trusted owner said maybe 28m.

Thanks
Thomas
GARULFO
A54-122
Nuku Hiva, French Polynesia

Arno Luijten

Hi Thomas and Soraya,

Do you know the distance between the mast head and the connection point just above the door to the guest room?

Regards,
Arno Luijten

Sv Garulfo

Hi Arno,

With antenna connected up the mast, we needed ~19.60m +/- 50cm of cable to get to the junction. Sorry about the low precision but
I’m only confident about the overall length from antenna to the nav station because it was easy to measure the surplus.

Hope that helps

Thomas
GARULFO
A54-122
Tahiti

On Sat, 25 Jul 2020 at 03:13, Arno Luijten <arno.luijten@...> wrote:
Hi Thomas and Soraya,

Do you know the distance between the mast head and the connection point just above the door to the guest room?

Regards,
Arno Luijten

Arno Luijten <aluijten@...>

Hi S&T,

No problem, an approx length is good enough. I want to replace both the VHF and the AIS cables in the resp. masts.

Ciao,
Arno

Oliver Henrichsen, SV Vela Nautica

Hello,
Main mast top to the wirebox above front aisle door is exact 20 meters.

From there you find a cable canal to the nav table.

Oliver from Vela Nautica Amel54#39
Martinique