Topics

A54 fridge circulation pump

Peter Forbes

Hi Carina,

Glad to hear its going well - we had problems with Fridge pump too. 

Hope the charts and guides have been helpful?

Peter and Vicky

Peter Forbes
Carango AMEL 54 035
La Rochelle

On 5 Feb 2020, at 08:34, CARINA HAMMARLUND <syultimo@...> wrote:

Thank you Olivier for sharing this info!
We have had lots of problems with the pumps during our 4 year sail in Pacific. Never lasting longer than 5-6 months, sometimes even shorter.

We just ordered the scooter motor and will try your set up! 
--
Carina
SV Ultimo
Amel 54 No 165

CARINA HAMMARLUND

Thank you Olivier for sharing this info!
We have had lots of problems with the pumps during our 4 year sail in Pacific. Never lasting longer than 5-6 months, sometimes even shorter.

We just ordered the scooter motor and will try your set up! 
--
Carina
SV Ultimo
Amel 54 No 165

Sv Garulfo

Hello,

The pump interface E51385 is also available from http://www.penguinfrigo.co.uk/

Best
Soraya
GARULFO A54-122

Mohammad Shirloo

Thank you Teun.

Respectfully;

Mohammad Shirloo

323-633-2222 Cell

424-644-0908 Fax

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Teun BAAS via Groups.Io
Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2020 10:57 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] A54 fridge circulation pump

Mohammed,

I advised AUSTRALIA you want the remaining units.

Sent you couple of Emails on your personal Email address.

Best Regards Teun

January 21, 2020 11:56:43

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mohammad Shirloo via Groups.Io
Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2020 11:49

Hi Teun;

I would be interested in getting a couple of spares on board. Can you please share the contact for the supplier. My e-mail mshirloo at transpacific.us

Respectfully;

Mohammad Shirloo

323-633-2222 Cell

424-644-0908 Fax

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Teun BAAS via Groups.Io
Sent: Monday, January 20, 2020 1:46 PM

Bill,

Thanks – I located 5 units close to COOMERA AUSTRALIA. I will try to secure 3 for myself; in case anybody approaches you within a reasonable amount of time there should be 2 more with them. Let me know in case you want the name & address of the AUSSIE marine supplier.

Best Regards Teun

January 20, 2020 14:45:41

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of CW Bill Rouse via Groups.Io
Sent: Monday, January 20, 2020 14:42
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io Notification <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>

Teun,

I last time I saw an E51385 Pump Interface was in Europe, and that was almost a year ago. Coastal Climate Control in the US sold them, but no longer have any.

Bill

--

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School

Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 

View My Training Calendar

On Mon, Jan 20, 2020 at 3:33 PM Teun BAAS <teun@...> wrote:

Bill,

Where in USA did you see the E51385 for sale? I have located some in AUSTRALIA but there is a payment issue which I think I can solve via my current boat agent in COOMERA but in case that fails I really want to have 2 or 3 for myself.

Best Regards Teun

January 20, 2020 14:33:05

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of CW Bill Rouse via Groups.Io
Sent: Friday, January 17, 2020 09:30
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io Notification <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>

The normal amp draw of the FlowJet 4105-512 12VDC is 1.2. I assume that the "starting amperage" is momentarily higher. Considering everything, including voltage fluctuations when charging, maybe a 2 amp fuse is a little small.

I agree with you about installing multiple relays to replace the really nicely designed Frigoboat E51385 pump controller. If I had to replace the  E51385 with multiple relays, I would want to design an enclosure for the relays and a fuse for the load.

I have seen the E51385 for sale. I was probably old stock. 

--

On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 9:24 AM Jamie Wendell <mysticshadow54@...> wrote:

Thanks for that info Bill. I did not realize what changes have been made.
I would want to retain the blue box, as it is far simpler for us Amelians who have factory systems. Converting to relays and all the associated wiring would not be much fun.
Fortunately, I have had not issues with it, other than I had to go to a 3A fuse vs 2A. The 2A kept blowing unexpectedly - maybe an age thing there as the systems start to draw more current.
Jamie
A54 Phantom

Teun BAAS

Mohammed,

I advised AUSTRALIA you want the remaining units.

Sent you couple of Emails on your personal Email address.

Best Regards Teun

January 21, 2020 11:56:43

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mohammad Shirloo via Groups.Io
Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2020 11:49

Hi Teun;

I would be interested in getting a couple of spares on board. Can you please share the contact for the supplier. My e-mail mshirloo at transpacific.us

Respectfully;

Mohammad Shirloo

323-633-2222 Cell

424-644-0908 Fax

Bill,

Thanks – I located 5 units close to COOMERA AUSTRALIA. I will try to secure 3 for myself; in case anybody approaches you within a reasonable amount of time there should be 2 more with them. Let me know in case you want the name & address of the AUSSIE marine supplier.

Best Regards Teun

Teun,

I last time I saw an E51385 Pump Interface was in Europe, and that was almost a year ago. Coastal Climate Control in the US sold them, but no longer have any.

Bill

--

Bill,

Where in USA did you see the E51385 for sale? I have located some in AUSTRALIA but there is a payment issue which I think I can solve via my current boat agent in COOMERA but in case that fails I really want to have 2 or 3 for myself.

Best Regards Teun

The normal amp draw of the FlowJet 4105-512 12VDC is 1.2. I assume that the "starting amperage" is momentarily higher. Considering everything, including voltage fluctuations when charging, maybe a 2 amp fuse is a little small.

I agree with you about installing multiple relays to replace the really nicely designed Frigoboat E51385 pump controller. If I had to replace the  E51385 with multiple relays, I would want to design an enclosure for the relays and a fuse for the load.

--

I would want to retain the blue box, as it is far simpler for us Amelians who have factory systems. Converting to relays and all the associated wiring would not be much fun.
Fortunately, I have had not issues with it, other than I had to go to a 3A fuse vs 2A. The 2A kept blowing unexpectedly - maybe an age thing there as the systems start to draw more current.
Jamie
A54 Phantom

Mohammad Shirloo

Hi Teun;

Respectfully;

Mohammad Shirloo

323-633-2222 Cell

424-644-0908 Fax

Bill,

Best Regards Teun

Teun,

Bill

--

Bill,

Best Regards Teun

--

Jamie
A54 Phantom

Teun BAAS

Agree,

I blew at least 3 or 4 when my unit acted up in VANUATU before I was able to Barnacle Buster my system. I was charged close to USD5 by the local TOYOTA dealer for 1 x 3 AMP fuse and he only had 2 in stock; on AMAZON you get 100 assorted of these fuses (2A thru 35A) for USD9.98 delivered to your door.

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54  #128

On the hard in COOMERA (near BRISBANE) QLD AUSTRALIA

January 20, 2020 14:50:18

USA cell: +1 832 477 8842

AUSTRALIA cell: +61 5951 8909

You can follow AMELIT via this link: https://forecast.predictwind.com/tracking/display/AMELIT

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Porter McRoberts via Groups.Io
Sent: Monday, January 20, 2020 14:43
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io

The key is having about 20 of these 2 amp fuses on hand, when you rebuild the pump… sometimes the draw is higher or you miss something on the pump rebuild and it shorts...and then there goes another fuse!!!

Easy to order on Amazon, but not easy to get in many parts of the world!

Porter

A54-152 S/V IBIS

On Jan 20, 2020, at 4:33 PM, Teun BAAS <teun@...> wrote:

Bill,

Best Regards Teun

January 20, 2020 14:33:05

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of CW Bill Rouse via Groups.Io
Sent: Friday, January 17, 2020 09:30
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io Notification <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] A54 fridge circulation pump

--

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School

Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 

Jamie
A54 Phantom 

Teun BAAS

Bill,

Best Regards Teun

Teun,

Bill

--

Bill,

Best Regards Teun

--

Jamie
A54 Phantom

Porter McRoberts

The key is having about 20 of these 2 amp fuses on hand, when you rebuild the pump… sometimes the draw is higher or you miss something on the pump rebuild and it shorts...and then there goes another fuse!!!
Easy to order on Amazon, but not easy to get in many parts of the world!

Porter
A54-152 S/V IBIS

On Jan 20, 2020, at 4:33 PM, Teun BAAS <teun@...> wrote:

Bill,

Best Regards Teun
January 20, 2020 14:33:05

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of CW Bill Rouse via Groups.Io
Sent: Friday, January 17, 2020 09:30
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io Notification <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] A54 fridge circulation pump

--
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 

Jamie
A54 Phantom 

Teun,

Bill

--

Bill,

Best Regards Teun

--

Jamie
A54 Phantom

Teun BAAS

Bill,

Best Regards Teun

--

Jamie
A54 Phantom

Teun BAAS

Jamie,

Agree with you that the blue box is the easiest way for us: just swapping out the box and we should be good to go. I had to swap out the box this summer in VANUATU as it failed - luckily I had one on board but that was the last one.

I tried locating the blue box in the USA without success. However, have located in AUSTRALIA a marine store having 5 in stock; just spoke to them to confirm my Email and reserved 3 boxes as they don’t take overseas credit cards so I need my agent handling my boat currently in COOMERA pay for me.

If you can NOT locate a spare blue box this might be an option for you? 

Brgds Teun

On Jan 17, 2020, at 08:24, Jamie Wendell via Groups.Io <mysticshadow54@...> wrote:

Jamie
A54 Phantom

--

Jamie
A54 Phantom

Jamie Wendell

Jamie
A54 Phantom

The OLd part is the Frigoboat E51385 pump controller, seen below. 
image.png

--

On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 1:54 PM Teun BAAS <teun@...> wrote:

Bill,

Gan you give the Frigoboat part number for the blue box mentioned below?

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54  #128

January 16, 2020 12:54:01

You can follow AMELIT via this link: https://forecast.predictwind.com/tracking/display/AMELIT

Sent: Thursday, January 16, 2020 07:09

The following is my understanding: The pump controller (blue box in 54s) receives voltage input from each of the Danfoss compressor controllers. The "fan output" terminal on the Danfoss is the output terminal that connects to the pump controller. The Danfoss fan output is 12 volts, regardless of whether the refrigeration unit is 12 or 24 volts.

BTW, the blue box may no longer be available, unless old stock. Frigoboat replaced it with a relay for each refrigerator unit.

I hope this helps. 

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Owners Yacht School - www.AmelOwnersYachtSchool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Wed, Jan 15, 2020, 7:42 PM Jamie Wendell <mysticshadow54@...> wrote:

Scott, you have me really thinking about this thorn in my side. My boat is on the hard now, but I am going to check the voltage coming out of the pump controller. If it is really 12 volts, then I think I am "missing the boat" by using 24-volt pumps. I no longer have the original Amel installation, so I am at a loss as to what came with the boat. I do feel, though, that running a 24-volt pump at 12 volts is asking for the problems which I have experience multiple times. I will investigate and see what is going on - I am an electrical engineer but do not want to profess any sort of expertise at this time. My old boat used keel-cooled units and I never had any issues - no pump!!
I will find out in the spring here in the US.
Jamie
A54 Phantom.

Teun BAAS

Bill,

Gan you give the Frigoboat part number for the blue box mentioned below?

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54  #128

January 16, 2020 12:54:01

Sent: Thursday, January 16, 2020 07:09

The following is my understanding: The pump controller (blue box in 54s) receives voltage input from each of the Danfoss compressor controllers. The "fan output" terminal on the Danfoss is the output terminal that connects to the pump controller. The Danfoss fan output is 12 volts, regardless of whether the refrigeration unit is 12 or 24 volts.

BTW, the blue box may no longer be available, unless old stock. Frigoboat replaced it with a relay for each refrigerator unit.

I hope this helps. 

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
+1(832) 380-4970

Scott, you have me really thinking about this thorn in my side. My boat is on the hard now, but I am going to check the voltage coming out of the pump controller. If it is really 12 volts, then I think I am "missing the boat" by using 24-volt pumps. I no longer have the original Amel installation, so I am at a loss as to what came with the boat. I do feel, though, that running a 24-volt pump at 12 volts is asking for the problems which I have experience multiple times. I will investigate and see what is going on - I am an electrical engineer but do not want to profess any sort of expertise at this time. My old boat used keel-cooled units and I never had any issues - no pump!!
Jamie
A54 Phantom.

I hope this helps. 

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
+1(832) 380-4970

Jamie
A54 Phantom.

Matt Salatino

My previous boat had a 12 volt system. The water circulation pumps for the fridge and freezer compressors ran at 5 volts, as the only needed low flow. I think you can safely run your pumps at 12 volts.

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Jan 15, 2020, at 8:42 PM, Jamie Wendell <mysticshadow54@...> wrote:

Jamie
A54 Phantom.

Jamie Wendell

Jamie
A54 Phantom.

Scott SV Tengah

On Frigoboat systems with multiple compressors, the pump interface is used. This also divides 24v to 12v to power the fridges. It has been explained to me that Frigoboat sells you a 24v pump and runs it at 12v. Theoretically it should be continuous duty at that point as it's running slower and cooler. This is not the case for the vast majority of us, it seems. It would be better if it coordinated compressor run times, but alas that's not the case.

Soraya - I purchased the Marco pump as my FIFTH one onboard. I still have 3 total Frigoboat pumps remaining so I will use all of those and then switch over to the Marco. Is the noise annoying? As noted, mine runs 80% duty cycle or so.

Stefan wrote on another post (https://amelyachtowners.groups.io/g/main/topic/pump/69698758?p=,,,20,0,0,0::recentpostdate%2Fsticky,,,20,2,0,69698758) that he's used a magnetic pump that lasted a really long time. I looked at the PDF and it seems Y-1638-MM would work great if you set it to run about 4-6 liters per minute.
https://www.speck.de/fileadmin/user_upload/files/data_sheets/en/my-3-mm.pdf
It seems to draw very little power at that level and it appears to have a large head capacity. Someone smarter than me needs to figure out if that means it can self prime and push water through the circuit connecting all 3 compressors? It's 24v, which would mean you'd probably have to either just run it on the 12v that comes out of the Frigoboat pump interface or install a relay into the system and run it on 24v. Any engineer want to give an opinion on this solution?

FYI Frigoboat specifically states the water hoses should run parallel from the pump to the individual compressors and our A54 has them run sequentially. That probably just means after the first fridge, each subsequent fridge is getting slightly warmer water.

I believe the new Amels have keel cooled fridges. I believe that's a better solution but I try not to intentionally put more holes in the hull, so I won't be retrofitting in the middle of our circumnavigation!

Finally, my A54 is plumbed to use fresh water to cool the fridges. We have no growth issues and pumps still last 6 months. So that won't solve the short pump life problem. I tend to agree that the insulation is crap. On the under settee freezer, the items that are far from the evaporator "cage" often thaw out, even with the freezer on max. I have added supplemental sealing on the lid, which helps, but the problem still exists.

The FW water tank temp never gets noticeably warmer but we also never drop below 150 liters. As you know, it's in the keel, but GRP is not a fantastic thermal conductor, so there is some the temp will always be a bit higher than surrounding water, imo. There has been some discussion of lead solder on the copper piping. I am not sure if this is true or not, but to be safe we only cook and drink water from the  Seagull filter. I have used their portable version while backcountry camping and once found myself at a lake full of cow poop. We had no choice but to use the water and I am still alive today. In any event, most brass and copper fittings in homes have lead in them. 

--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah
http://www.svtengah.com