Topics

A54 hawsehole and chain guide

Sv Garulfo

Hi all,

We recently end-to-ended our anchor chain and I found the pictured device useful to guide the chain nice and flat at the bottom of the chain locker.

It’s simply a piece of PVC pipe with a couple of small line to gutter the chain in various corners of the locker.

And when you don’t use it, it snaps happily on the hawsehole pipe for efficient storage.

Best,

Thomas
GARULFO
A54-122
Bora-Bora

Teun BAAS

Thomas,

Does this mean that every time you weigh anchor that somebody is guiding this device by hand in the right direction to evenly spread the anchor chain?

If so then I clearly have too many sails in the sail locker as it is completely full and was really a massive, massive head ache to get to the chain locker when the new (galvanized) chain bungled up. I never had the bungling up issue with the OEM SS chain and since I pushed a bunch of the galvanized chain all the way to the back it hasn’t happened since. It is rare, even in the South Pacific, that I use the last 30 meters of a 100 meter chain so pushing those 30 plus meters all the way back in the chain locker I believe prevents the bundle of chain getting too high in the front and thus getting tangled/bungled.

But your device looks what I need but then I also need: A) easily access to the chain locker as well as B) a pair of hands during departure.

Best Regards Teun

A 54 2009  #128

September 8, 2020 06:46:43

We recently end-to-ended our anchor chain and I found the pictured device useful to guide the chain nice and flat at the bottom of the chain locker.

It’s simply a piece of PVC pipe with a couple of small line to gutter the chain in various corners of the locker.

And when you don’t use it, it snaps happily on the hawsehole pipe for efficient storage.

Best,

Thomas

GARULFO

A54-122

Bora-Bora

Arno Luijten

Teun,

What you need is a big wallet and 100 meters of Cromox 10mm (made by Ketten Wålder, https://www.ketten-waelder.de/en/) 😂

Arno Luijten,
SV Luna,
A54-121

Scott SV Tengah

As an aside, does anyone know who makes the Amel oem stainless chain? It has a 5 stamped on it, if that helps?
--
Scott
2007 A54 #69

Beaute Olivier

Hello Scott,

In 2007, Amel used to buy SS chains from WASI GERMANY.

Olivier BEAUTÉ

Envoyé de mon iPhone

Le 9 sept. 2020 à 19:57, Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...> a écrit :

As an aside, does anyone know who makes the Amel oem stainless chain? It has a 5 stamped on it, if that helps?
--
Scott
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah
http://www.svtengah.com

Sv Garulfo

Hi Teun,

No, it’s only when we let out the full chain for whatever reason. So it’s very rare and only to minimise the chance of bungling it during business as usual. (That rarely happens anyway, even with galvanised chain).

Hope that clarifies the use case.

Thomas
GARULFO
A54-122
Bora-Bora

On Tue, 8 Sep 2020 at 03:48, Teun BAAS <teun@...> wrote:

[...]

I have witnessed a SS anchor chain snap before my own eyes and helped dealing with the emergency to save the boat (not an amel) from the lee shore in the swell of the marquesas and that kind of put me off SS chain. Admittedly the chain was oldish (10y) and the conditions tough.

Thomas
GARULFO
A54-122
Bora-Bora

On Wed, 9 Sep 2020 at 03:25, Arno Luijten <arno.luijten@...> wrote:
Teun,

What you need is a big wallet and 100 meters of Cromox 10mm (made by Ketten Wålder, https://www.ketten-waelder.de/en/) 😂

Arno Luijten,
SV Luna,
A54-121

Matt Salatino

SS chain has a lower WLL and is a bit more brittle than galvanized high test (G40)

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Sep 9, 2020, at 8:47 PM, Sv Garulfo <svgarulfo@...> wrote:

I have witnessed a SS anchor chain snap before my own eyes and helped dealing with the emergency to save the boat (not an amel) from the lee shore in the swell of the marquesas and that kind of put me off SS chain. Admittedly the chain was oldish (10y) and the conditions tough.

Thomas
GARULFO
A54-122
Bora-Bora

On Wed, 9 Sep 2020 at 03:25, Arno Luijten <arno.luijten@...> wrote:
Teun,

What you need is a big wallet and 100 meters of Cromox 10mm (made by Ketten Wålder, https://www.ketten-waelder.de/en/) 😂

Arno Luijten,
SV Luna,
A54-121

Arno Luijten

Hi Thomas,

There was a reason I said cromox chain. There are many, many different qualities of SS. If you are at anchor for extended period of time some of those will suffer crevice corrosion because of oxygen deprivation. Cromox is resistant to this .... at a price.
Crevice corrosion will be barely noticeable until it breaks, not the nicest way find out.

Cheers,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna
A54-121

Arno Luijten

Oliver,

If WASI supplied that chain it is not good news as they supply either AISI304 or AISI316L chain. That is not suitable for long term anchoring as the steel needs to be exposed to the air regularly to prevent crevice corrosion.

Cheers,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

Teun BAAS

Arno,

I had CROMOX quoted to me in December 2019 by MARINE TRADERS SUPPLIES in COOMERA QLD AUSTRALIA: AU$100 per 1 meter – about USD7,300 for 100 meters.

My initial reaction was “No fffing way; not in my life time” – but then thinking about some of the weather I have had on anchor while clearly my SS OEM chain was badly pitted in the welds at that time & how lucky I was no serious consequences .

I decided to postpone the decision until back on the boat – which now looks like a 1 year postponement.

Best Regards Teun

A54 – 2009 #128

September 9, 2020 15:40:08