Topics

A54 holding tank drain seasock


Sv Garulfo
 

Hello,

Any routine maintenance tips for the holding tanks drain seacocks?
Ours are starting to grip.

Thanks

Soraya
Garulfo
A54-122
Tahiti


Randall
 

When you say grip do you mean just get hard to turn? On my 54 I was about to remove and replace my handle. It was hard to turn and the tank would not empty, I thought it was the handle, it was sticky but it ended up being a build up of scale in the drain pipe. I put descaling liquid in (Harpic 10) that loosened the build up. In the end I got in the tender, used an old piece of 3/8 inch dowel/stick and ran it up the hole from the waterline, it broke the scaling and drained, now it turns easy and the tank drains properly. Re and re the valve could be a messy job.

Cheers,
Randall
A54#56

Virus-free. www.avg.com


On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 6:51 AM Sv Garulfo <svgarulfo@...> wrote:
Hello,

Any routine maintenance tips for the holding tanks drain seacocks?
Ours are starting to grip.

Thanks

Soraya
Garulfo
A54-122
Tahiti




Arno Luijten
 

Hi Soraya,

I operate them every moth or so. Not much more you can do other then spraying them with Corrosion-X. But the reality is they do get bad as these are pretty standard chromed brass seacocks. Getting proper bronze ones is close to impossible for the thread that is used on the outlet pipe. At least I was not able to source them. I can source bronze ones with tapered thread no problem, but not with a straight thread.
I had to replace the forward seacock as it was leaking via the shaft that operates the ball. It is a challenge to do. I ended up with a badly bruised upper arm for a week or so. Use Loctite 577 to seal the threads positioning the seacock in the proper rotational position. Before screwing it on with the Loctite, first do a dry-fit and count the number of rotations you need to make to fit it as far as it will go. 

Regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121


Teun BAAS
 

When I got on AMELIT in NOUMEA she had been sitting idle for close to 20 months and the aft bathroom valve was stuck: we planned on replacing when she came out of the water. Thanks to a very, very skinny (arms & hands) & persistent sidekick of my excellent (but high labor cost) local mechanic (Willie) he got it to work. Also the aft bathroom shower/sink valve in the engine room got stripped in the open position and this one is glassed into the watertight bulkhead. Impossible or extreme difficult to replace. So I added a PVC (??) valve at the end of the hose near the bilge. Since then I exercise (open/close 3 times) ALL 7 valves every other Saturday morning – I know is overkill but also no big deal.

 

Best Regards Teun

 

SV AMELIT  A54 #128

July 29, 2020 12:01:54

 

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Arno Luijten via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, July 29, 2020 06:03
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] A54 holding tank drain seasock

 

Hi Soraya,

I operate them every moth or so. Not much more you can do other then spraying them with Corrosion-X. But the reality is they do get bad as these are pretty standard chromed brass seacocks. Getting proper bronze ones is close to impossible for the thread that is used on the outlet pipe. At least I was not able to source them. I can source bronze ones with tapered thread no problem, but not with a straight thread.
I had to replace the forward seacock as it was leaking via the shaft that operates the ball. It is a challenge to do. I ended up with a badly bruised upper arm for a week or so. Use Loctite 577 to seal the threads positioning the seacock in the proper rotational position. Before screwing it on with the Loctite, first do a dry-fit and count the number of rotations you need to make to fit it as far as it will go. 

Regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121


Danny and Yvonne SIMMS
 

Hi Teun, I agree with the regular opening and closing. Best way to prevent problems. Also for the head valves and tubing at least 30 second flushes. When I have guests on board you cant expect them to follow this so at the end of the day I go to each head and do a one minute flush. 

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 30 July 2020 at 05:02 Teun BAAS <teun@...> wrote:

When I got on AMELIT in NOUMEA she had been sitting idle for close to 20 months and the aft bathroom valve was stuck: we planned on replacing when she came out of the water. Thanks to a very, very skinny (arms & hands) & persistent sidekick of my excellent (but high labor cost) local mechanic (Willie) he got it to work. Also the aft bathroom shower/sink valve in the engine room got stripped in the open position and this one is glassed into the watertight bulkhead. Impossible or extreme difficult to replace. So I added a PVC (??) valve at the end of the hose near the bilge. Since then I exercise (open/close 3 times) ALL 7 valves every other Saturday morning – I know is overkill but also no big deal.

 

Best Regards Teun

 

SV AMELIT  A54 #128

July 29, 2020 12:01:54

 

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Arno Luijten via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, July 29, 2020 06:03
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] A54 holding tank drain seasock

 

Hi Soraya,

I operate them every moth or so. Not much more you can do other then spraying them with Corrosion-X. But the reality is they do get bad as these are pretty standard chromed brass seacocks. Getting proper bronze ones is close to impossible for the thread that is used on the outlet pipe. At least I was not able to source them. I can source bronze ones with tapered thread no problem, but not with a straight thread.
I had to replace the forward seacock as it was leaking via the shaft that operates the ball. It is a challenge to do. I ended up with a badly bruised upper arm for a week or so. Use Loctite 577 to seal the threads positioning the seacock in the proper rotational position. Before screwing it on with the Loctite, first do a dry-fit and count the number of rotations you need to make to fit it as far as it will go. 

Regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

 



 


 


Mark & Debbie Mueller
 

From the outside of the boat while sitting in your dinghy you may be able to use a grease gun and put grease on the exterior of the valve then operate it from the inside to provide some lubrication.  This procedure helped on the forward head of our A54.  When we bought the boat the aft head valve was hard to rotate and became more difficult over time.  I had a small socket welded to a handle that I found at a hardware store in Ft. Lauderdale, see photo.  This allowed me to get a ratchet wrench with an extension on the valve to help rotate the handle.  Eventually even this procedure no longer worked which resulted in the replacement of this valve earlier this year.  A link to the valve I used which has the proper threads and includes a grease fitting to lube the valve occasionally is listed below; 1 ¼” BSPP thread.  What I found upon removal of the valve was a sliver of wood that had wedged between the valve ball and the side of the valve.  The sliver of wood looked very similar to the wood that the tank support platform.  The bore of the valve had very little residue of any kind on it.

 

On a boat project scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the most difficult this was a 10+.  The workspace is extremely limited with 98% of the job being done with your left hand and head and left shoulder being jammed into the space behind the head as much as possible.  My wife did take some very unflattering pictures of me working on this project which I am not going to include.  I did leave the head installed so I had a place to rest my upper body while trying to work back in this incredibly cramped poorly engineered space.  If you are faced with replacing the aft holding tank valve on an A54 sail the boat to an Amel service center somewhere in the world and pay them to do it – this final statement is not meant to be humorous.  

https://www.groco.net/products/valves-seacocks/inline-valves/ibv-series-bspp-thread

 

--
Mark Mueller
Brass Ring  A54


Mark Erdos
 

Hi Soraya,

At the first sign the valve becomes sticky, we use vegetable oil to lube the
valve.

With the holding tank empty and the valve closed, remove the deck cap and
pour about a 100ml of vegetable oil into the tank. Let it sit for a little
while. Then, work the valve back and forth. This will last for a few months
before it needs to be done again.

(I am assuming the 54 has caps on the deck for pump-out like the 53)


With best regards,

Mark

Skipper
Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275
Currently cruising - Tahiti, French Polynesia
www.creampuff.us

-----Original Message-----
From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io]
On Behalf Of Sv Garulfo
Sent: Tuesday, July 28, 2020 6:51 PM
To: Amel Yacht owners Group
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] A54 holding tank drain seasock

Hello,

Any routine maintenance tips for the holding tanks drain seacocks?
Ours are starting to grip.

Thanks

Soraya
Garulfo
A54-122
Tahiti


Peter de Groot
 

Hi Mike
I just went through the similar fix on SM207
We cut away the bottom half of the discharge funnel to be able to remove the stupid hose. Then we glassed in a fiberglass round tube, and reattached the bottom of the funnel
Nasty job for sure. But it beats find your holding tank contents flowing back through a leaking joker valve


Peter de Groot
La Querida sm207
Moss landing CA


Sv Garulfo
 

Thanks all for your recommendations.
Yes the 54 has the same on the caps on the deck which we used after closing the valve.

A bit of vinaigrette did the trick:
- first white vinegar to dissolve the limescale then remove the debris
-followed by vegetable oil to lubricate the valve.

Thanks all
Soraya

GARULFO A54-122
Moorea, French Polynesia 


On 31 Jul 2020, at 08:31, Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

Hi Soraya,

At the first sign the valve becomes sticky, we use vegetable oil to lube the
valve.

With the holding tank empty and the valve closed, remove the deck cap and
pour about a 100ml of vegetable oil into the tank. Let it sit for a little
while. Then, work the valve back and forth. This will last for a few months
before it needs to be done again.

(I am assuming the 54 has caps on the deck for pump-out like the 53)


With best regards,

Mark

Skipper
Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275
Currently cruising - Tahiti, French Polynesia
www.creampuff.us

-----Original Message-----
From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io]
On Behalf Of Sv Garulfo
Sent: Tuesday, July 28, 2020 6:51 PM
To: Amel Yacht owners Group
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] A54 holding tank drain seasock

Hello,

Any routine maintenance tips for the holding tanks drain seacocks?
Ours are starting to grip.

Thanks

Soraya
Garulfo
A54-122
Tahiti