Topics

A54 Nav station seat replacement

Scott SV Tengah

Hi all,

Has anyone repaired or replaced their A54 nav station seat?

The back support portion on ours now reclines back 120degrees relative to the seat portion. The culprit is that the back/seat are supported by a white plastic frame that has cracked allowing the back support portion to recline too far. This is quite odd as neither myself nor the admiral are heavy people, but..."it's a boat!".

There's also a hard spot right in the middle of the seat portion that makes sitting there quite uncomfortable if you don't sit just right.

Anyone have similar problems and fixed it? Or anyone have suggestions on how to fix it? Furniture is not my strong suit.

-Scott

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69

Barry Connor

Hi Scott,

If you pull the cover from the bottom seat section you will see that the plastic frame is all broken.
I tried filling the inside of the plastic seat base with dense foam from a can after glueing the bits together with Gorilla glue, worked for awhile.
I just bought a new plastic seat frame from Amel Caraibes, just over 100€. Put the leather cover over this new frame. The base seat I bought was slightly smaller and now turns 360 degrees on the base. Had to put some extra foam padding under the leather cover.

Very Best

Barry snd Penny
“SV Lady Penelope II”
Amel 54.  #17
Le Marin Martinique

On Dec 9, 2020, at 17:53, Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...> wrote:

[...]

Teun BAAS

Scott,

I also had an uncomfortable spot right in the middle of the seat @ the nav station; it almost looked something was trying to poke thru the leather. Last year December, when AMELIT went on the hard @ THE BOAT WORKS YARD MARINA in COOMERA QLD AUSTRALIA (55 acres packed with an abundance of Marine Craftsmen), I decided to have the helm seat; the nav station seat as well as the vanity station seat in the Master Cabin re-upholstered. After a couple of days I ran into the upholsterer and he asked me what I had done to the NAV station seat; he took me to his shop and the plastic seat pan was completely cracked & destroyed. Although I am fat I am pretty sure this didn’t happen during my ownership. Anyhow – it seems you are not the only one with this problem.

Not sure how Michael from MELFI Designs fixed it but he told me not to worry. All seats are now back on the boat but I have not seen & tested them myself but Sue & Brian MITCHELL (AMEL SM - SV LOLA) who generously keep an eye on AMELIT tell me it all looks good.

Best Regards Teun

December 9, 2020 15:51:20

Has anyone repaired or replaced their A54 nav station seat?

The back support portion on ours now reclines back 120degrees relative to the seat portion. The culprit is that the back/seat are supported by a white plastic frame that has cracked allowing the back support portion to recline too far. This is quite odd as neither myself nor the admiral are heavy people, but..."it's a boat!".

There's also a hard spot right in the middle of the seat portion that makes sitting there quite uncomfortable if you don't sit just right.

Anyone have similar problems and fixed it? Or anyone have suggestions on how to fix it? Furniture is not my strong suit.

-Scott

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah
http://www.svtengah.com

Jamie Wendell

I had the same problem. The plastic seat was totally busted.
After contacting Amel, they told me they cannot supply a replacement, so I looked on line.
I found a really good replacement at Wayfair in the US.
I bought 2 different styles called "Clay Stool by Wade Logan" just to have a spare.
You have to redrill the existing holes, but it is very easy to adapt and works just like the original.
No one would know it is not the original - maybe not quite as comfortable, but...it works and it is cheap.
Jamie
Phantom A54 #44

Scott SV Tengah

Thanks everyone for the comments.

We're in Tahiti now so probably will wait until a cheaper place (anywhere!!!) before we buy a replacement. The leather cover is getting a bit tired, so it's probably time to just replace it.

Jamie - did you redrill the holes on the chair or the Amel stainless plate? I presume the former but I want to check to make sure. Also, is the plate under the seat reasonably strong? We don't like going upwind but Neptune knows that so we end up doing 40 degrees apparent more often than I like and want the seat frame to be strong so I don't land on my head.

I'm thinking of this one:

On Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 2:08 PM Jamie Wendell <mysticshadow54@...> wrote:
I had the same problem. The plastic seat was totally busted.
After contacting Amel, they told me they cannot supply a replacement, so I looked on line.
I found a really good replacement at Wayfair in the US.
I bought 2 different styles called "Clay Stool by Wade Logan" just to have a spare.
You have to redrill the existing holes, but it is very easy to adapt and works just like the original.
No one would know it is not the original - maybe not quite as comfortable, but...it works and it is cheap.
Jamie
Phantom A54 #44

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah
http://www.svtengah.com

Jamie Wendell

Scott, I redrilled the holes in the plate to fit the new chair bottom. It is quite strong, and I carry a spare chair.
Jamie
Phantom, A54 #44

Mark & Debbie Mueller

I replaced the original Amel seat with a seat from Todd.  It fits well and looks pretty good.  I use the 655341 seat with the 650772 mounting plate both from Todd and reused the original pedestal mounting plate from Amel.

https://www.defender.com/search.html?q=655341&x=0&y=0

--
Mark Mueller
Brass Ring  A54

Scott SV Tengah

Another great option, thanks. This one is made for boats, so theoretically should be sturdy.

Do you find it more comfortable than the original seat? I never found it to be particularly comfortable even before it broke.
--
Scott
2007 A54 #69

Mark & Debbie Mueller

The original was literally a pain in the butt.  I always thought if I leaned back in thoughtful repose I would wind up on the cabin sole wedged in by the fire extinguishers.

The seat angles are very comfortable and it is very sturdy,  The OEM seat pad is a little lacking so I throw a cushion in the seat; it all works very well.
--
Mark Mueller
Brass Ring  A54

Alexander Ramseyer

Jamie,
can you provide a Wayfair product number or link?
With the description that you mention, I can't find anything on their site that resembles what I'm looking for.
Thanks a lot,
Alex
NO STRESS A54 #15

Jamie Wendell

Alex, the ones I ordered and installed are below. I do not think either one is still available, but there are others that are similar if not a bit more expensive. I prefer the cheaper of the two. I am not at the boat now, so regrettably I cannot take a photo of the install. You would not use the pedestals - just the seat.
Jamie
Phantom, A54 #44
Clay Adjustable Height Swivel Bar Stool
Clay Adjustable Height Swivel Bar Stool by Wade Logan
Qty:  1
Upholstery: Burgundy
Price:  $70.99
Clay Adjustable Height Swivel Bar Stool
Clay Adjustable Height Swivel Bar Stool by Wade Logan
Qty:  1
Upholstery: Burgundy
Price:  $54.00

Jamie Wendell

Alex, a quick update - the bottom stool is now called out by a new name below. If you click on the links in my last email, it will take you to the Wayfair site.
Good luck.
Jamie
Phantom, A54 #44

Winnols Swivel Adjustable Height Bar Stool