Topics

A54 seawater pump for anchor washing

greg greg

Hi guys!
got some problems with subj.
It starts to work but in a few seconds the circuit breaker cuts the line.
I asume there is a kind of shortcut in the motor, 
so decided to change for a something new.

Who knows the purpose of non return valve
between seawater intake and the pump?
I don’t see any reason to install it...
Any considerations?

Thanks!

Greg
TERRAL, A54-172

Mark & Debbie Mueller

The non-return valves or check valves are important.  These valves prevent air from being pulled backward through a non–operating piece of equipment into the common seawater distribution manifold.  Air will dramatically affect the performance of the Dessalator and negatively impact the refrigeration and other systems.  If it continues over a longer period of time the air will cause the same effect as cavitation on the metal pump impellers.  These valves are important and need to be in place.
--
Mark Mueller
Brass Ring  A54

Mark is is absolutely correct, and this applies to the one-way valve on the SM, 54, & 55 AC pump...you need it and it needs to work. Also, if you happen to replace the diaphragm anchor wash pump with something else (I know a few of you have), you should ensure that there is no backflow, or you will get air in the Dessalator system.

It is almost always to your peril when you decide that something Amel added, "is not necessary." Sometimes this can be learned the hard way, which is also the costly way.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sat, Aug 10, 2019 at 10:14 AM Mark & Debbie Mueller <brass.ring@...> wrote:
The non-return valves or check valves are important.  These valves prevent air from being pulled backward through a non–operating piece of equipment into the common seawater distribution manifold.  Air will dramatically affect the performance of the Dessalator and negatively impact the refrigeration and other systems.  If it continues over a longer period of time the air will cause the same effect as cavitation on the metal pump impellers.  These valves are important and need to be in place.
--
Mark Mueller
Brass Ring  A54

greg greg

Thx!
clear!

greg greg

Fixed.
dismounted, disassembled, cleaned, lubricated, sealed, assembled, installed.
all original parts, including o-rings.
Works better then new one :)