Topics

A54 SSB Antenna

Sv Garulfo

Hello
Our SSB Antenna comes in 2 parts.
The threading that connects them has gotten loose and we would like to find away to secure them that doesn’t impact the transmission.
Has anyone had this issue? Any recommendations on how to fix this?

Thanks

Soraya
Garulfo
A54-122
Tahiti

Ian Park

I have always used self amalgamating tape round the joint to keep moisture out. It does seem to keep the threads from slipping.

Ian

Ocean Hobo SN96 (currently in Wales)

On 29 Jul 2020, at 05:51, Sv Garulfo <svgarulfo@...> wrote:

Hello
Our SSB Antenna comes in 2 parts.
The threading that connects them has gotten loose and we would like to find away to secure them that doesn’t impact the transmission.
Has anyone had this issue? Any recommendations on how to fix this?

Thanks

Soraya
Garulfo
A54-122
Tahiti

David Kurtz

3M makes a product, Scotch 2200 mastic pads that is excellent for that situation.  I literally removed my two antennae from my SM two days ago when I took the masts down.  I intend to use it when I put them back up.  Scotch 2200 is a very long lasting self-sealing waterproof product that comes in either tape form or pads (roughly 3”x5”) that can be cut to size.
--
Dave Kurtz
SM2 #380

Detroit, Michigan

Michael & Robyn

Hi Garulfo

Glomex / Shakespeare 390-1 Classic SSB mounting instructions state:
"1a. You must apply Loctite 242 thread locking compound to the Tip
Section’s ferrule threads and the Base Section’s upper ferrule
threads before assembly to ensure that the Tip Section remains
securely tightened while in service."
see here: https://shakespeare-ce.com/marine/product/390-1-ssb-antenna/

We installed ours about 3 yrs ago and no issues with loose threads.
--
Michael & Robyn

SY RIPPLE SM2K # 417
currently in CYB Cambridge MD USA