A54 watermaker/Fresh water pump issue

Chris Likins

Hi All,

I just started having a new issue with my fresh water pump. Ill start by saying I have Amel54 #133 with 180l/h dessalator wm. I recently ran our water maker as normal. After shutdown it began to auto rinse with freshwater however, after 2 minutes I noticed that the lights on the dessalator panel had gone out but the freshwater pump was still running continuously. When the freshwater pump is manually shut off at the breaker the pressure immediately drops off just as if a tap were open.

At first I thought it might be a leak somewhere but I found none. I now believe it has something to do with the rinsing of the water maker. As soon as I turn the watermaker on and the low pressure pump comes on, the freshwater pump immediately shuts off and behaves normally.

For a manual rinse, we have a valve handle on the back side of the low pressure pump to open and allow fresh water through the system. When I open this valve, I can see the freshwater discharge overboard however, with this valve closed and the pump stuck on continuously there is NO discharge overboard which has me a bit confused.

My thoughts are that the auto rinse system is stuck ON via the solenoid at the pre-filters but if that were the case, I would think I would be seeing the freshwater discharging overboard. Is there a way to manually close that solenoid to test?

Any other thoughts on where I should be checking?

Thanks in advance!

Porter McRoberts

I think you’re right about the solenoid. Ours also stuck open several years ago. It has to be physically taken apart, cleaned with Emory cloth and then reassembled. That was 3 years ago for us. Been working fine since. But yes. Turn off the fresh h20 pump and do the job then re assemble. Should be fine I think.

Some of the watermaker Jedi may have additional thoughts for you.

Best of luck.

Porter McRoberts
S/V IBIS A54-152
WhatsApp:+1 754 265 2206
Www.fouribis.net

On Apr 29, 2021, at 4:16 PM, Chris Likins <likinsca@...> wrote:

[...]

Martin Birkhoff

Hi Chris,
I think youre right about the solenoid. We had the same issue a year ago. The fresh water pump did run every 15 minutes. For weeks we were looking for a leakage without any success. Finally we figured out that the solenoid didn´t close properly. Because we don´t use the watermaker currently I didn´t clean the solenoid but  added a manual valve to stop the water flow if needed. The pic shows the valve beneath the 24V cover.

Martin

Mago del Sur - 54#40

Alexander Hofmann

Hi Chris,

difficult to have a clear diagnosis from remote, the system is complex. I tell you 2 experiences with the rinsing of the Watermaker (I have a 160 l/h Duo 230V / 24V) – and a similar topic.

  1. I had an non-stopping rinse of the watermaker 2 years ago half way from Canaries to Azores, leading to … zero litres of water in the fresh water tank. Not funny. I could resolve the problem in phone contact with Fréderic Quintard from Nautic Elec, the experienced electrician in La Rochelle. The magnetic valve for opening and closing the fresh water provisioning for the watermaker rinse process has been dirty and did not word, means stayed OPEN for an endless rinsing, until the fresh water tank was fully empty. Hopefully I have had already installed a simple hand valve in the fresh water provisioning tube before the watermaker. So I could close that, run the watermaker again, and had new fresh water. Later on I did replace the magnetic valve and cleaned the old one in an ultrasonic bath, is like new now. There is limescale deposit – and any dirt out of the freshwater system - in the valve. This may cause your problems you have described in opening and closing partly and in a not reliable and understandable way or – as in my case – stays open completely.

This is why

  • I have an extra magnetic valve on board,
  • I would recommend to any Amel owner to install such a simple hand valve in the fresh water provisioning tube before the watermaker.
  • Additionally I have a cheap ultrasonic cleaner bath now onboard, many parts can be cleaned and re-set into function.
  • When I am longer time off any marina (what I love!) and I use the watermaker daily I close this hand valve and refrain from any rinsing. I do that any 1 – 2 weeks once, or until the watermaker tells you he wants rinsing care because the pressure for switching from ‘bad’ to ‘good’ rises. Dessalator even advices to do so. Rinsing every time is definitely not needed! Dessalator watermakers love to work daily!

  1. The same problem with a dirty magnetic valve happened to me with the toilets heads. The valve did not close and the fresh water was flooding the toilet and the heads – in emptying the fresh water tank rapidly.

This is why

  • I would recommend to any Amel owner to install also a simple hand valve in the fresh water provisioning tube for the toilets in the heads.

Costs ( as my French friends say) three times nothing but prevent unpleasant situations.

All the best. Fairs seas and lovely tail winds!

Alexander

SY Oceanica I, Amel54#156