Topics

A55 , # 9

Stuart Hemingway

Atten. Of Joerg Esdorn,

Joerg,

I know that your boat is one of the later production versions and I’d like to ask if you have details of the battery arrangement on your boat.

Do you have AGM’s and are the battery boxes ventilated either mechanically or by natural ventilation ,ours are not.

Also do you have a wiring plan for the shunts and the batteries and do you have one or two shunts , we have two.

The boat has gone through 40 # AGM ,160 v batteries from the launch of the boat in 2012.

Mastervolt tell me that their guarantee is void because the batteries should have been Gel and because the Amel wire up to the batteries does not follow the Mastervolt recommendation.

If you can help in any way with information that would be really appreciated.

Regards,

Stuart

Justin Maguire

Woah - that’s crazy. Somethings definitely not right and Amel wiring it up in a way that voided the warrenty seems also crazy... if you’re the original owner that definitely feels like a conversation to have with them.

On Dec 5, 2020, at 18:19, Stuart Hemingway <stuart@...> wrote:

Atten. Of Joerg Esdorn,

Joerg,

I know that your boat is one of the later production versions and I’d like to ask if you have details of the battery arrangement on your boat.

Do you have AGM’s and are the battery boxes ventilated either mechanically or by natural ventilation ,ours are not.

Also do you have a wiring plan for the shunts and the batteries and do you have one or two shunts , we have two.

The boat has gone through 40 # AGM ,160 v batteries from the launch of the boat in 2012.

Mastervolt tell me that their guarantee is void because the batteries should have been Gel and because the Amel wire up to the batteries does not follow the Mastervolt recommendation.

If you can help in any way with information that would be really appreciated.

Regards,

Stuart

Billy Newport

I have #56. I have agms. There is 1 shunt. The boxes are not ventilated as far as I can see. They are not watertight as the wires exit through a hole leading under the nav table which is not sealed.

I replaced the original batteries in June. My boat is Sept 2016.

Billy

Joerg Esdorn

Hi Stuart, 160 V batteries?  Sorry to hear you're having problems.  My boat came with 6 MV 12/200 gel batteries for the house bank and a MV 90 Ah AGM battery to start the engine and generator.  According to the plans, there was only one shunt although I've not confirmed that fact.  Plan attached.  The battery compartment has a watertight seal to the cabin sole although as Billy indicates, there are cables existing from it so it may be that it is not fully watertight.  In any event, it is ventilated by a fan in the engine room - pic attached.  The fan is right next to the water pump reservoir.  There are hoses entering and exiting the battery compartment right above the bilge - you can't miss them on my boat.  See the hoses furthest left and right in the picture of the bilge.  I hope that helps.  I have had the gels replaced with MV MLI 24/5500 LiFePO4 batteries just this year.  I also had a second shunt installed to monitor the engine battery.  Cheers Joerg

Joerg Esdorn
A55 #53 Kincsem
On the hard in Vigo, Spain

Jorg Schambach

On my 55#44 I have still original MV 12V/200A gel batteries for service and replaced last year the starting battery MV 90 Ah AGM,

The ventilation exist as Joerg describe earlier I have changed the ventilator on it this year (JABSCO 35770-0094 Continuous duty 100mm (4") blower, 24V running on 12V} and have only 1 shunt.

Best,

Jörg

A55#44

Wolfgang Weber <webercardio@...>

Hi Jörg,
I hopefully may return to my boat in Florida after 1 year next march.  I am thinking to replace my 600Ah/24V batteries with Battle Born batteries 12x50Ah/24 V.
On this way I will bring my whole system to the Mastervolt Bus .
3 years ago I changed the Mastercharger -100A to MV CombiUltra 100/3500. This inverter (charger to the batteries) connects to microwave and 220 Volt outlets.
I will try to fix the MV chargemaster 100 A in the room left to the batteries with additional ventilation.
By this way the 24 V cabels should be short and I will not pass the cables through the engine-room.
A MV-shunt 500 will be added. So my question:
I will bypass the shunt for the bowthruster because auf its high load.
2.) I will bring an extra MV Easyview - one is already near the Onan switchboard-in the cockpit to switch the MV 100A Charger next to a new Onan switch in the cockpit/helm station.
The MV alpha regulator will be changed to a MV alpha pro III which also connects to the MV Bus.
I hope to optimize my generator time.
Solar arch is not an option for me.
Any comments?
Wolfgang Weber SY Elise Amel 54 #162

Arno Luijten

Hi Wolfgang,

Some observations from me about your plans. I own an 54 as well.
I extended the mastervolt installation substantially this year and I’m planning some more changes.
First of all you do not need the AphaPro III, the II is exactly the same and suits the MV 110A alternator fine. The difference between the II and the III is only the maximum field current it can supply.
Second, you can put the Mastervolt Shunt directly at the batteries, the bowthruster does not damage it.
In our boat I have two chargemasters and a Mass Combi all next to each other in the engine compartment, the Combi sits in the place of the original Mass Inverter.

How are you planning to connect the Battle Born batteries to the Mastervolt ecosystem? As far as I’m aware Battle Born does not accommodate any interface to the batteries. To me this is the big drawback to BB batteries. They get mostly positive reviews but your control options are quite limited.

Regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

Billy Newport

I'm in the process of adding more MV also. I switched my Victron 35A MPPT to a SCM60 during the week and added an Easyview 5 above the AC panel in the galley. I replaced the 675A fuse/holder under the nav seat with a MV shunt and put the 675A fuse in the shunt instead of the original fuse holder I removed. I will finish this weekend by connecting the Alpha pro II to both my chargers 100A and 60A, then the Easyview and then the SCM60 then the shunt. At least thats the plan anyway. I will also add a MV NMEA bridge so I can get data out of MV to store on my logging device which I have everything else besides MV being logged to right now (NMEA, Volvo data, gen data, various 433Mhz temp sensors around the boat on compressors, rooms etc).