locked A different view on boat grounding systems (at least for me)


Arno Luijten
 

Dear Forum,

I just spend some time reading this. For those that are in marina's it may complicate the view on the Amel bonding system:

https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/Marine-Grounding-Systems

Personally, I'm not sure what to think of it.

Cheers,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121


Bill Schwanitz
 

This response from Bill (Rouse) and the overall expertise of the folks on this forum make me smile (and make me smarter).

Bill (or anyone else) are there articles available on the Internet that, in your opinion, better address marine grounding systems.

Cheers,
Bill Schwanitz
Future Amel owner

On Mon, Oct 25, 2021 at 11:38 AM CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:
Arno,

I will say what you are too polite to say. This guy is WRONG on so many levels I lost count.

Bill


CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
View My Training Calendar

On Mon, Oct 25, 2021 at 12:00 PM Arno Luijten <arno.luijten@...> wrote:
Dear Forum,

I just spend some time reading this. For those that are in marina's it may complicate the view on the Amel bonding system:

https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/Marine-Grounding-Systems

Personally, I'm not sure what to think of it.

Cheers,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121


Paul Harries
 

I am sure most readers would love to hear a point by point criticism of this article.
--
Paul Harries
Prospective Amel Buyer


Bruno COTTE
 

These statements are correct if you are only sailing on lakes with fresh water . 

Envoyé de mon iPhone

Le 25 oct. 2021 à 19:57, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> a écrit :


This is 2 of the author's statements.

1.) "An isolated bronze thru-hull doesn't need protection because it is not in electrical contact with another immersed dissimilar metal."

2.) "If electrically isolated, high quality marine bronze is electrochemically stable in seawater; nothing good can come from connecting wires to it."

I do not know anyone on the planet who will agree with these. I assume that the author does not know that saltwater is conductive.

Bill


CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
View My Training Calendar

On Mon, Oct 25, 2021 at 12:53 PM Paul Harries via groups.io <Pharries=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I am sure most readers would love to hear a point by point criticism of this article.
--
Paul Harries
Prospective Amel Buyer


Arno Luijten
 

Hi Bill,

Yeah I was a bit puzzled by his statements about leaving isolated bronze thru hulls without zinc protection although it is common practice in many European boats. What happens then is that the copper leaches out and they become brittle. But that can take quite some years.
Separating the boat's 24 Volt ground from the "wet parts" does make sense though. But this is where the (in)famous small switch is for on an Amel...

OK another puzzle I'm working on that led me to the first posting.
Does the forum think is should be avoided to connect the shielding of a coax wire for the VHF/AiS/FM antenna to the mast. Or in other words, should the antenna-foot be mounted isolated from the mast.

Regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna
A54-121


Bruno COTTE
 

As an aerospace engineer and ex  commodore of french navy I think this article is a joke for students to identify all written mistakes … 

Envoyé de mon iPhone

Le 25 oct. 2021 à 20:15, Bruno COTTE via groups.io <cotte.bruno@...> a écrit :

These statements are correct if you are only sailing on lakes with fresh water . 

Envoyé de mon iPhone

Le 25 oct. 2021 à 19:57, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> a écrit :


This is 2 of the author's statements.

1.) "An isolated bronze thru-hull doesn't need protection because it is not in electrical contact with another immersed dissimilar metal."

2.) "If electrically isolated, high quality marine bronze is electrochemically stable in seawater; nothing good can come from connecting wires to it."

I do not know anyone on the planet who will agree with these. I assume that the author does not know that saltwater is conductive.

Bill


CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
View My Training Calendar

On Mon, Oct 25, 2021 at 12:53 PM Paul Harries via groups.io <Pharries=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I am sure most readers would love to hear a point by point criticism of this article.
--
Paul Harries
Prospective Amel Buyer


David Wallace
 

“This guy” has a Masters Degree in Electrical Engineering from Stanford University and has invented significant navigation and video technology (not to mention his World-class status as an offshore racing navigator, which is of course irrelevant to this thread). His article doesn’t throw the Amel approach under the bus, er keel, but rather talks to two different environments. Stan is a very approachable person, I’m sure he would be happy to debate this issue.

Dave Wallace
former owner S/V Air Ops
Maramu #104

On Oct 25, 2021, at 10:37 AM, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

Arno,

I will say what you are too polite to say. This guy is WRONG on so many levels I lost count.

Bill


CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
View My Training Calendar

On Mon, Oct 25, 2021 at 12:00 PM Arno Luijten <arno.luijten@...> wrote:
Dear Forum,

I just spend some time reading this. For those that are in marina's it may complicate the view on the Amel bonding system:

https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/Marine-Grounding-Systems

Personally, I'm not sure what to think of it.

Cheers,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121




Porter McRoberts
 

I would LOVE to read an AMEL redacted version of this. 


Porter McRoberts 
S/V IBIS A54-152
WhatsApp:+1 754 265 2206
Www.fouribis.net

On Oct 26, 2021, at 7:53 AM, David Wallace <svairops@...> wrote:

 “This guy” has a Masters Degree in Electrical Engineering from Stanford University and has invented significant navigation and video technology (not to mention his World-class status as an offshore racing navigator, which is of course irrelevant to this thread). His article doesn’t throw the Amel approach under the bus, er keel, but rather talks to two different environments. Stan is a very approachable person, I’m sure he would be happy to debate this issue.

Dave Wallace
former owner S/V Air Ops
Maramu #104

On Oct 25, 2021, at 10:37 AM, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

Arno,

I will say what you are too polite to say. This guy is WRONG on so many levels I lost count.

Bill


CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
View My Training Calendar

On Mon, Oct 25, 2021 at 12:00 PM Arno Luijten <arno.luijten@...> wrote:
Dear Forum,

I just spend some time reading this. For those that are in marina's it may complicate the view on the Amel bonding system:

https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/Marine-Grounding-Systems

Personally, I'm not sure what to think of it.

Cheers,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121