Topics

Adding Air Conditioning to '94 SM #117

Steve Bode

Hey, Friends,

I found a 'sponsor' who wants me to add air conditioning to Intention. Is this completely insane? I couldn't find anyone in the forum who's done it. Seems like it would be easier to buy a new boat! At first blush, it looks like I need to do the following:
- Buy three AC/Heater units, aft, cabin and forward compartments, cause the heater units that are currently installed there will be replaced
- Drill six holes in the hull and add through-hulls and valves, hose to connect the units, Do other boats pull sea water from another inlet like the toilet or something?
- what about seawater pumps? Are they needed? What about sea strainers?
- Buy 90˚ hard-plastic pipes that go on the end of the units
- buy some kinda ducting to feed the cool air into a vent somehow
- Build mounting plates and securing bolts to keep the units in place
- Figure out how to get 220v to the units
- Run control wire up to a thermostat and figure out how to mount that thing.
- Add a switch to the 220v control panel that somehow turns off all three units?!

Anyone done this? Would you recommend I fake a major injury instead of take this on?
--
Steve Bode
Capt. SV Intention

  I have exactly what you need. I did not originate the file. I am asking the owner if it is ok to share and will get back to you.

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School

View My Training Calendar
cloudHQPowered by
cloudHQ

On Sat, Feb 8, 2020 at 1:18 AM Steve Bode <Whatsup@...> wrote:
[...]

Ian Townsend

Bill, it's totally fine with me to share the file I created for the AC install we did in 2017 on Loca Lola II.

Everything continues to run well. We are very happy with the equipment choices we made.

Ian & Margaret
S/V Loca Lola II
SM153
Bahamas

On Feb 8, 2020, at 12:44 PM, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

[...]

Perfect

On Sat, Feb 8, 2020 at 11:52 AM Ian Townsend <smlocalola@...> wrote:
[...]

Steve, here you go:

On Sat, Feb 8, 2020 at 11:45 AM CW Bill Rouse via Groups.Io <brouse=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Hey, Bill & Ian!  Wow! This is great! I'm on my way. Here's my first pass at a budget, using online retailers. Figure add 20% for other items. Shipping, too. So, maybe $7,000?
Ian, how far off am I?

Parts needed & Notes
Three Units 1370 3 4,110
Pump     300
Bronze fittings     50
Hose     100
Fiberglass work     100
Ducting     100
New Through-hull?     300
Misc     100
      5,160
Need to build mounting plates

Need to run thermostat wires and mount thermostats

Need to check for through-hull for cooling water egress

Still, looks like a BIG project.

Kind Regards,

Steve Bode
Capt. SV Intention
Amel SM #117 (1994)
+1 415 710-6659 Mobile/Text/WhatsApp
facebook.com/stevebodesanfrancisco
svintention.com

Ian Townsend

You're pretty close with that figure Steve. Yes, it's a big job but not overly complicated. If I can do it, believe me, anyone can. Good luck! Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Ian & Margaret
S/V Loca Lola II
SM153
Bahamas