Topics

Additional filter in raw water intake for the engine before the heat exchanger

Joerg Esdorn

It has been a surprise to me how much seaweed and other dirt accumulates in the heat exchanger for the gear box even though there is a strainer at the intake point.  Amel recommends that the heat exchanger be cleaned out yearly and it‘s definitely necessary.   I checked the manual for my Volvo D3-110 engine and it says the following on page 104:

„Volvo Penta recommends that a seawater filter be fit- ted to guarantee the correct cooling water flow to the engine and reverse gear. Otherwise there is a risk of contaminants in the seawater blocking the reverse gear cooler and other cooling system components.“ I read this to suggest that there should be a second filter in the engine intake line after the main intake strainer and before the heat exchanger.  I wonder why Amel isn‘t doing that and if anyone has done so.  Cleaning out the heat exchanger is a difficult task, cleaning out a second filter would be a simple thing to do on a regular basis.

Joerg Esdorn
Amel 55 #53 Kincsem
Vigo, Spain

Randall Walker

Joerg,
Good point. There should be two flushing attachment points on the engine, one just after the water pump and one before the exhaust so you can run a flush, with a barnacle slash calcium cleaning solution there are many brands. I recently rigged up a system to do just this. It should be standard on all ocean boats.

Randall
A54#56
Gibraltar