Additional webbing above tack on Q-Sails Genoa Question

Michael & Robyn

Greetings!

When we helped mounting the new Genoa from Q-Sails on a friends SM I noticed that the sail had an additional webbing above the tack going horizontally across the luff. This allowed to lash the bottom part of the luff closer to the furling profile. I thought this was very clever. Our Genoa made by a different sail-maker in the US does not have this. The bottom 3 feed below the opening where the Genoa's luff is feed into  the groove of the profile is always pulled out. Maybe it is not supposed to to be feed into the grove.
Does anyone have a picture of a Q-Sails Genoa with the extra webbing above the tack?
Any recommendation how you lash the tack of your Genoa to stay in the bottom part of the groove?
Or should the sail not be feed into the bottom 3 feet of the profile?

Thank you in advance for any feedback
--
Michael & Robyn

SY RIPPLE SM2K # 417
currently Brunswick Landing Marina, GA

I do not have a photo. About 6-8 months ago I sent this photo to Emerah at QSails and suggested that he add it for all Amel owners:
Was it something like this?
image.png

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Sat, Sep 11, 2021 at 11:03 AM Michael & Robyn <SY_RIPPLE@...> wrote:
[...]

Thank you BIll,

very similar just for the Genoa. Your picture seems to show the main or mizzen sail.
--
Michael & Robyn

SY RIPPLE SM2K # 417

Yes, basically the same for all sails. It is a wonderful and simple addition. Do not order any furling sail without this feature.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Owners Yacht School
+1 832-380-4970 | brouse@...
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550
www.AmelOwnersYachtSchool.com

On Sat, Sep 11, 2021, 6:57 PM Michael & Robyn <SY_RIPPLE@...> wrote:
Thank you BIll,

very similar just for the Genoa. Your picture seems to show the main or mizzen sail.
--
Michael & Robyn

SY RIPPLE SM2K # 417

Bill Kinney

I will add, both of the genoas we have had on Harmonie (one from North, and one from Island Planet) have had webbing for lashing like this.  It’s a great safety feature. On the other hand, if your halyard tension is high enough, it really shouldn’t be needed to keep the luff tape from pulling out of the foil.

If you are having difficulty with the luff tape pulling out, are you sure that the halyard tension is high enough?  And that the luff tape is the right size?  If the jib car traveler is too far aft, this can also pull too hard on the foot of the sail, and the clew can pull away from the foil as a result.

Halyard tension on the genoa is a dynamic adjustment, and is really quite important for good sail shape and boat performance.  Higher tension pulls the draft back forward in strong winds letting the boat point higher and make better progress to windward. Easing up a bit  in lighter winds powers up the sail when needed.  Halyard tension while sailing should ALWAYS be high enough to fully carry the weight of the furling motor, and keep the metal support bracket under tension.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Annapolis, MD, USA

Chuck_Kim_Joy

Thank you for that write up Bill. That was very helpful and informative. You contribute much to the forum.

Chuck and Kim. Joy

Michael & Robyn

Hi Bill,

I see your point on the halyard tension. I will pay more attention to this fact when we mount the Genoa after hurricane season. The electrical winches are so powerful that a moment of looking at the top part of the sail may be a moment too long and the tension of the foot is causing the luff tape to come out.
Our sail maker knew about the concept and will add the extra webbing.

Thank Y'ALL
--
Michael & Robyn

SY RIPPLE SM2K # 417