Topics

After market engine mounts ? #replacement

Paul Guenette

Hello,

I am looking at replacing the engine mounts on my 2004 Yanmar 4JH3-HTE engine.

The current Yanmar mounts, (on the fuel and oil filter side), are labeled 200 which I believe would mean they are Yanmar part number  YAN 129670-08351.

There are other companies like R & D  and Poly Flex that make after market  engine mounts.

Have any of you tried any of the aftermarket engine mounts ?

If so, what has your experience been ?

Thank you.

Paul

Aramis, SM 2000,  444

Comox, BC, Canada

eric freedman

I always use Factory supplied parts for both the engine and generator.
With respect to the engine mounts do the mounting holes line up with
your existing mounts.
Do you have the alignment tool for your engine?
Are you just changing 2 mounts?
Fair winds,
Eric
SM 376

On September 23, 2020 at 2:32 PM "Paul Guenette via groups.io" <paulguenette@...> wrote:

Hello,

I am looking at replacing the engine mounts on my 2004 Yanmar 4JH3-HTE engine.

The current Yanmar mounts, (on the fuel and oil filter side), are labeled 200 which I believe would mean they are Yanmar part number  YAN 129670-08351.

There are other companies like R & D  and Poly Flex that make after market  engine mounts.

Have any of you tried any of the aftermarket engine mounts ?

If so, what has your experience been ?

Thank you.

Paul

Aramis, SM 2000,  444

Comox, BC, Canada

rossirossix4

Edited

Hi Paul,
I believe the 200 refers to a capacity of 200 kg.  When Didier, an experienced Amel mechanic in Le Marin replaced our original mounts for our 2004 Yanmar 4JH3-HTE engine he suggested increasing the capacity of original Vetus mounts to the 300 kg model, Yanmar part number 120149-08441 -- https://photos.app.goo.gl/sZ5QSSX4HzJTtexh9 .  He told me that he felt it was a better match for the engine, especially with the extra weight of our heavier Leece-Neville alternators and double v-belt assemblies. Didier told us that it was possible that more vibration would be transmitted by these mounts but I did not detect any increase and he agreed when we sea-trialed the new mounts and (more importantly) his engine alignment.  The new mounts looked much the same as the original Vetus mounts except they were a bit "beefier".  Didier can be reached at vaguesca@... (best to use French).
Bob and Suzanne, KAIMI  SM429

Craig Briggs

The Amel "C" drive design presents a novel marine engine mount configuration, namely, there is absolutely no thrust component and the mounts are not fastened to the engine!

Conventional "factory spec" mounts for marine (propulsion) engines are designed to handle three components; vibration dampening, torsional resistance and mostly, a huge thrust resistance. Without the requirement for withstanding a thrust component, I would posit that "factory supplied" mounts are over specified for an Amel ("C" drive).

In fact, the "Amel way" (on "C" drive boats) does not even attach any "engine mounts" to the engine!  Instead the the engine is "hard bolted" to the frame carrying both the engine and "C" drive and the entire frame is connected to the hull with "engine mounts" (the "C" drive has it's own "engine mounts" to the frame). These "engine mounts" might more appropriately be called "vibration dampeners".

So, for example, Yanmar "factory spec"  "engine mounts" are designed for four independent attachment points to the engine stringers to resist the full HP thrust of the propeller and handle torsion and vibration. On the Amel "C" drive, there are six "engine mounts" - four attachment points that are not independent with respect to the engine and two more for the "C" drive. Clearly a different engineering situation.

Just food for thought.
Cheers, Craig  - SN68 Sangaris, Tropic Isle Harbor, FL

Paul Guenette

Thank you for responding to my query about alternative engine mounts.

I have decided to go with the Yanmar mounts, ( Y 200  129470-08351 ).  I plan to change all four Yanmar mounts.  I am in the process of tracking four of these down now.

I have purchased the K018 Bushing Kit from Vetus and plan to check and change these out if need be.

I have a machinist making me an alignment tool per the specs and drawings I found here on the forum.

I am wondering if I should be changing the two C Drive mounts at the same time as I do the Yanmar engine mounts and Vetus bushings ?

Is there anything else I should be considering while doing this maintenance project ?

Thank you for your time, Paul

Aramis, SM 2000,  444

Comox, BC, Canada

Craig Briggs

Can't think of any reason not to change the "C" drive mounts while you're at it as they've got the same hours on them as the engine mounts (actually, they might more accurately be called frame mounts, not engine mounts). My recommendation would be to let the "C" drive sit in place with it's new mounts totally loosened, that is the lower nuts backed off so they are not touching the "C" drive feet. Then align the frame and engine assembly with the new mounts carrying that weight (of course you'll need to unweight the frame/engine to adjust the new mounts - a trial and error process). After it's aligned, then snug up the "C" drive mounts with the bottom nut so the weight is shared between the trumpet and the mounts, that is, you don't want the full weight of the "C" drive upper unit on the trumpet, as there's a foam gasket between the bottom of the trumpet and the hull hole. In other words, the weight of the frame, engine and "C" drive should be held by the four frame/engine mounts.
And, while the alignment tool is helpful, the Vetus coupling is engineered to take up some misalignment and feeler gauges and eyeballs are good. Or put some lipstick on the flange, put a piece of paper between and slide the engine gently in place so it just kisses the flange - the lipstick will show any misalignment.
-- A fun project, indeed.
Craig - SN68 Sangaris, Tropic Isle Harbor, FL