Topics

air conditioning maramu

Eric Lindholm
 

I am thinking about installing air conditioning on my Maramu. My plan
was to install a 16,000 BTU unit in the forward, outside bottom
portion of the cockpit storage, just outside of the waterheater. I
could then cut a duct through to the waste box under the stove and use
that for my return duct. I don't use the waste cabinet anyway, and I
won't be cutting holes in anything else. I was then going to run the
output straight up into the fresh aire ducting, right where the fans
are presently. I removed the heater some time ago as I don't/won't
sail where it is cold. Question, is 16,000 BTU enough? I think it may
be marginal, and I will need 2 units, one perhaps under the settee,
and another in the rear stateroom if I want to keep the whole boat
cool, or just one in the main cabin, and not worry about the rear.
Next is the current ducting going to provide enough output? I was
going to install an additional vent in the main cabin so there are at
least 2 or maybe 3. Any suggestions, comments?

Eric Maramu 105

amelliahona <no_reply@...>
 

Eric:
The Amel Super Maramu comes standards with three (3) Clima 9EH =
9,000 BTU Air conditioners with Electric Heat. There is one unit in
the forward cabin that cools the forward cabin and forward head
very well. There is one unit in the aft cabin that does an admirable
job of cooling that cabin and head. The unit in the saloon is not
adequate to cool the saloon especially in the tropics. Joel tells me
that he installs a fourth unit in the saloon on all of his boats. The
quarter berth has poor cooling by both the AC from the saloon and
by opening ports. I am in the process of installing a fourth Clima
unit (a 10,000 BTU with EH). Most of it's output will be directed into
the galley to help my poor hard working cook (wife), and if I can
figure a way to duct some air to the quarter berth I will do that.
I am also considering installing another opeing port into the
quarter berth area.
I don't think you need 16,000 BTU in the aft cabin. 16,000 BTU
is about right for the saloon in my opinion. Each unit has only
one vent outlet on the SM. Simple, but a small outlet in the aft
head (which doesn't have a hatch like the forward head), and
two outlets in the forward cabin would give better cool air
distribution. Two outlets are definitely needed in the saloon.

Hope these thoughts help.

Regards, Gary Silver Amel SM 2000 # 395

--- In amelyachtowners@..., "eric lindholm" <etlindholm@...> wrote:

I am thinking about installing air conditioning on my Maramu. My plan
was to install a 16,000 BTU unit in the forward, outside bottom
portion of the cockpit storage, just outside of the waterheater. I
could then cut a duct through to the waste box under the stove and use
that for my return duct. I don't use the waste cabinet anyway, and I
won't be cutting holes in anything else. I was then going to run the
output straight up into the fresh aire ducting, right where the fans
are presently. I removed the heater some time ago as I don't/won't
sail where it is cold. Question, is 16,000 BTU enough? I think it may
be marginal, and I will need 2 units, one perhaps under the settee,
and another in the rear stateroom if I want to keep the whole boat
cool, or just one in the main cabin, and not worry about the rear.
Next is the current ducting going to provide enough output? I was
going to install an additional vent in the main cabin so there are at
least 2 or maybe 3. Any suggestions, comments?

Eric Maramu 105

Judy Rouse
 

Gary,

You are absolutely correct about the saloon/galley A/C output for the
tropics.

Where will you locate unit number 4?

Bill Rouse
SM2 #387
Anchored St. James USVI



--- In amelyachtowners@..., amelliahona <no_reply@...>
wrote:

Eric:
...Joel tells me
that he installs a fourth unit in the saloon on all of his boats.
...I am in the process of installing a fourth Clima
unit (a 10,000 BTU with EH). Most of it's output will be directed into
the galley to help my poor hard working cook (wife), and if I can
figure a way to duct some air to the quarter berth I will do that.

Golden Daze \(Ken & Judy\) <goldendaze@...>
 

We have Maramu 192 and it came with a 16000 btu mermaid reverse cycle
installed in the aft of the saloon settee.
There are 2 outlets, one blowing aft through the tunnel towards the aft
cabin, at the nav table bulkhead
(across your legs if you are at the nav.). The other blows across the
saloon in the foot area between
the saloon table and freezer. The return is in the fore/aft walkway just in
front of the nav table bulkhead.
Thermostat is just above the nav table.
We lived in Fort Lauderdale (now live on boat). In summer when boat was
closed up and hot(100f) it would take quite
awhile to cool it down. We shut forward saloon door and hung a plastic
shower curtain over the aft passage
(tunnel) to keep the air in the saloon. After while we would open the
back. Cooling in the back in the
day was never very good, we put a fan in tunnel if working in back to get
air back there. At night it
was more than enough without a fan.
We are now in the Cheasapeak getting ready to go to spain next May. It was
plenty good for the summer
here.
We are using the diesel heater now. You would never get enough air for
cooling through those small ducts.
The Mermaid output ducts are 6" and the return is right at the unit. You
need to move a lot of air and
I don't think the ducts are where you need them, nor large enough. You'll
want most of the air dumping
into the saloon. (perhaps 4 4" ducts)
Since we are heading for the Med. and don't plan on anymore S Florida
summers we are satisfied with our
with the one 16000 btu.
To live in S.Florida you would want 2 units to be cool throughout the boat
during the day. The aft
could be smaller. The v berth was never very cool, except at night. (entire
boat open with fan)
Don't forget about the extra amps and your load. We are still using 30 amp
service. With hot water, etc
it adds up fast.
We turn off all at night, so on cold mornings we turn on the reverse cycle
mermaid, and the diesel heater,
which we just replaced, and it gets warm in 15 min.
We also just replaced or rebuilt everything from the deck up, and I'll post
some info on that adventure
when we get all the details finished.

Ken & Judy
Golden Daze M192

Jacob Champness
 

Eric, what did you end up doing, and how did it work out?

 

Jacob,

Eric is on passage from the Caribbean to New York.
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
View My Training Calendar


On Thu, Jun 11, 2020 at 4:18 PM Jacob Champness <jacob.champness@...> wrote:
Eric, what did you end up doing, and how did it work out?

Jacob Champness
 

Hey Ken & Judy.  I know that was long time ago, but with the unit installed there, did it have its own through-hull or how was it plumbed?

Craig & Katherine Briggs
 
Edited

Hi Eric,
Lots of ways to skin a cat, of course. FWIW, on our SN, we put a single 18K BTU compressor in the engine room that serves both a 12K evaporator under the salon forward dining seat and a 6K evaporator on the shelf over the fuel tank in the companionway going aft. I ducted the 12K unit through the forward head wall then up inside the shelf area and back through a 6"X12" register in the bulkhead into the main salon. It also T's and goes to the forward stateroom and head. The 6K unit goes to the aft stateroom and T's forward to the main salon. That register can be closed to get a full 6K into the aft stateroom (plenty) or opened to share the cooling into the main salon near the nav station. Works well in Florida with only the forward stateroom being a bit wussy, although leaving the door open and a supplement fan solves that. All equipment is by Northern Lights. Also has reverse cycle for heat with an "away" function to keep the humidity down when not aboard.
Cheers, Craig

mr_hermanns
 

Hey Guys!

I bought Eric Lindholms Maramu back in 2012. Since then i’ve upgraded the HVAC to a new 2018 Marine Air EnviroComfort Air Conditioning with Reverse Cycle Heat Retrofit Kit from Defender.

This unit pushes more air and is also quieter!

Cheers,
Jer
--
Jeremy Hermanns - "Jer"
SVCerulean.com
Maramu #105
Marina Del Rey, CA

Jacob Champness
 

Thanks Bill.

Jacob Champness
 

Hey Jer.

Did he or you end up using the air frais ducting then or add new ducting?
Thanks,
Jacob
Lark
Maramu #42
Brunswick, GA

Jacob Champness
 

Thanks Craig.

I take you were able to use the existing raw-water through-hull then?  Or did you need to add new a through-hull?

Thanks!
Jacob Champness
svlark.com
Maramu #42
Brunswick, GA

Craig & Katherine Briggs
 

Hi Jacob,
I do think it would be fine to "T" off the engine raw-water intake to feed the A/C, especially if you'll only be using the A/C on shore power.
If, though, you have a generator to power the A/C and plan to run it and the main engine together I suppose there could be insufficient water flow for both and you'd want a separate thru-hull for the A/C.

In my case a prior owner had already installed another thru-hull for a water maker and I just ran a "T" off that for the A/C cooling water.
He also installed a 6kw generator (with dedicated thru-hull) and we have on very rare occasions run the generator for A/C while we were motoring up the ICW in oppressive summer heat (and actually ran it all night at anchor - yikes, we're a trawler!) 

So I've got 8 thru-hulls for: 1. Main engine, 2. Generator, 3. A/C & Water maker combined and 4. Refrigeration. Plus, of course, 5 & 6. Toilet intakes and 7 & 8. Toilet discharges. 

Good luck with it,
Craig

eric freedman
 

Hi Bill,
Just pulled into Huntington NY this morning. 8 days 22 hours from St Thomas.
Kimberlite's 70,000 mile anniversary.
The Gulf Stream was a pill. 30-45 knots easterly in the stream. When we fell off wave after wave I was so happy to own an Amel.
It sure makes one heck of a sound. Nothing broken, everyone on board is well.
Keep up the good work.
Fair Winds,
Eric

On June 11, 2020 at 5:54 PM CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

Jacob,

Eric is on passage from the Caribbean to New York.
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
View My Training Calendar


On Thu, Jun 11, 2020 at 4:18 PM Jacob Champness < jacob.champness@...> wrote:
Eric, what did you end up doing, and how did it work out?


 

eric freedman
 

I installed a Dometic unit in my aft cabin. 10k btus.
It is a very simple installation.
I have had it 2 years now.
It was almost a plug and play install.
Fair Winds,
Eric
SM 376 Kimberlite

On June 11, 2020 at 5:18 PM Jacob Champness <jacob.champness@...> wrote:

Eric, what did you end up doing, and how did it work out?

 

Matt Salatino
 

Glad you’re safe. Just had a friend do the same trip (Northport, NY) aboard Marie Elena,a week earlier in totally benign seas. Timing and luck are everything!

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Jun 18, 2020, at 3:48 AM, eric freedman <kimberlite@...> wrote:

Hi Bill,
Just pulled into Huntington NY this morning. 8 days 22 hours from St Thomas.
Kimberlite's 70,000 mile anniversary.
The Gulf Stream was a pill. 30-45 knots easterly in the stream. When we fell off wave after wave I was so happy to own an Amel.
It sure makes one heck of a sound. Nothing broken, everyone on board is well.
Keep up the good work.
Fair Winds,
Eric

On June 11, 2020 at 5:54 PM CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

Jacob,

Eric is on passage from the Caribbean to New York.
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
View My Training Calendar


On Thu, Jun 11, 2020 at 4:18 PM Jacob Champness < jacob.champness@...> wrote:
Eric, what did you end up doing, and how did it work out?