Air in the cooling system of CLIMMA Aircon


Lior Keydar
 

Hi

Today I serviced the saltwater pump of the Air condition (3x CLIMMA 9 BH).
Only the aircon in the aft cabin does not work. It is getting very fast hot and shut off incl. the 220v switch. Is it possible that there is air inside the water cooling system of this air con? the water flows out. The other two air con works perfectly.

Thanks for your help.

Lior, SHARONA A54 #18


Bertrand Quénot
 

Lior,
Don’t know if this could help but I have got the same trouble once because of a dusty filter at the entrance of the aircon. 
Regards
Bertrand 
ANTINEA A54#43

Le 25 sept. 2021 à 12:03, Lior Keydar <lior246@...> a écrit :

Hi

Today I serviced the saltwater pump of the Air condition (3x CLIMMA 9 BH).
Only the aircon in the aft cabin does not work. It is getting very fast hot and shut off incl. the 220v switch. Is it possible that there is air inside the water cooling system of this air con? the water flows out. The other two air con works perfectly.

Thanks for your help.

Lior, SHARONA A54 #18


Lior Keydar
 

Bertrand

Thank you a lot for the advice. Actually, I don't find any water filter at the aircon. It is also very hard/impossible to see something at the backside of the aircon.

Thanks
Lior
SHARONA A54 #18


ngtnewington Newington
 

I do not think you can have air in the sea water cooling system if the other two units work. The cooling is one circuit, sea water into pump then flows through each aircon compressor one after another with the final one being in the port forward cabin and out over the side.
Your problem in the aft cabin is something else, possibly low refrigerant?  Or something else…hard to say….
Nick
S/Y Amelia 
AML 54-019
Leros Gr


On 25 Sep 2021, at 20:00, Lior Keydar <lior246@...> wrote:

Bertrand

Thank you a lot for the advice. Actually, I don't find any water filter at the aircon. It is also very hard/impossible to see something at the backside of the aircon.

Thanks
Lior
SHARONA A54 #18


 

Lior, 

Seawater flows to the aft first then in series to the other two.

What you have cannot be a water flow issue. 

Best,

CW Bill Rouse 
Amel Owners Yacht School
+1 832-380-4970 | brouse@...
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
www.AmelOwnersYachtSchool.com 
Yacht School Calendar: www.preparetocastoff.blogspot.com/p/calendar.html


   


On Sat, Sep 25, 2021, 3:32 PM ngtnewington Newington via groups.io <ngtnewington=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
I do not think you can have air in the sea water cooling system if the other two units work. The cooling is one circuit, sea water into pump then flows through each aircon compressor one after another with the final one being in the port forward cabin and out over the side.
Your problem in the aft cabin is something else, possibly low refrigerant?  Or something else…hard to say….
Nick
S/Y Amelia 
AML 54-019
Leros Gr


On 25 Sep 2021, at 20:00, Lior Keydar <lior246@...> wrote:

Bertrand

Thank you a lot for the advice. Actually, I don't find any water filter at the aircon. It is also very hard/impossible to see something at the backside of the aircon.

Thanks
Lior
SHARONA A54 #18


Dimitris Krasopoulos
 

I had the same problem the Airclima technician advised me the the relai that turns on the air condition pump is not working and I have to fix it. In order to have the aicondition to work I start the cockpit cabin air condition first and after a while the aft cabin air condition. This way I can have it working


Στάλθηκε από το iPhone of Dimitris Krasopoulos 
Mob Phone +306944302318


On Sep 25, 2021, at 8:03 PM, Lior Keydar <lior246@...> wrote:

Hi

Today I serviced the saltwater pump of the Air condition (3x CLIMMA 9 BH).
Only the aircon in the aft cabin does not work. It is getting very fast hot and shut off incl. the 220v switch. Is it possible that there is air inside the water cooling system of this air con? the water flows out. The other two air con works perfectly.

Thanks for your help.

Lior, SHARONA A54 #18


 

There is one relay for each Climma Compact unit
image.png


CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
View My Training Calendar

On Sun, Sep 26, 2021 at 1:13 AM Dimitris Krasopoulos <dkrasopoulos@...> wrote:
I had the same problem the Airclima technician advised me the the relai that turns on the air condition pump is not working and I have to fix it. In order to have the aicondition to work I start the cockpit cabin air condition first and after a while the aft cabin air condition. This way I can have it working


Στάλθηκε από το iPhone of Dimitris Krasopoulos 
Mob Phone +306944302318


On Sep 25, 2021, at 8:03 PM, Lior Keydar <lior246@...> wrote:

Hi

Today I serviced the saltwater pump of the Air condition (3x CLIMMA 9 BH).
Only the aircon in the aft cabin does not work. It is getting very fast hot and shut off incl. the 220v switch. Is it possible that there is air inside the water cooling system of this air con? the water flows out. The other two air con works perfectly.

Thanks for your help.

Lior, SHARONA A54 #18


Lior Keydar
 

Dear all, 

Thank you very much for the feedback.
The Pump worked as I started the AC but it became very hot and the compressor made a very strange noise. I am quite sure that this unit is in its ELF.

I am thinking to order the same new CLIMMA 9000. It is possible to find it on the market. Did anyone replace the AC on A54? Does anyone has a better recommendation for other AC unit that fit in place?

Thanks a lot for your help
Lior SHARONA, A54 #18 


Dimitris Krasopoulos
 

Have a look in the webasto it is same size and it seems to me more modern design. I have replaced the cockpit Aircondition with a webasto 12000


Στάλθηκε από το iPhone of Dimitris Krasopoulos 
Mob Phone +306944302318


On Sep 27, 2021, at 12:34 PM, Lior Keydar <lior246@...> wrote:

Dear all, 

Thank you very much for the feedback.
The Pump worked as I started the AC but it became very hot and the compressor made a very strange noise. I am quite sure that this unit is in its ELF.

I am thinking to order the same new CLIMMA 9000. It is possible to find it on the market. Did anyone replace the AC on A54? Does anyone has a better recommendation for other AC unit that fit in place?

Thanks a lot for your help
Lior SHARONA, A54 #18 


Dominique Sery
 

Hello Lior, I replaced 2 air conditioning units on my 54, the saloon one (12,000 BTU) and the rear cabin one (9,000 BTU).  The new 9000 model (Climma) for the rear cabin is identical to the old one in terms of dimensions (new electronics).  The new model 12000 (Climma) for the saloon is a little higher than the old one and requires adaptation.  I did the installation myself.  I bought the air conditioning directly from the KOK importer in Grasse (near Cannes in France).
Regards
Dominique
Irko 1 A54#16


amelforme
 

Hello Lior. I used to own Amel 54 # 14, 2006 model. Very shortly after I sailed the boat here to Florida, the 9000 BTU Climma air conditioner in the aft cabin had a compressor failure. I removed the failed unit and installed a complete duplicate Climma 9000 BTU unit including the thermostat/fan speed controller. It was a difficult process as I believe Amel might have first installed the air conditioner and then installed the furniture/cabinetry around it . I can’t recall it all in detail today, but I had to remove several of the ancillary components from both the failed unit and its replacement to remove and then reinstall the air conditioner. It is a very tight installation. I would measure every dimension extremely carefully if you replace this unit with another brand. Anything larger will not fit.

 

Although Amel would usually evolve a difficult installation to make it more ‘worker friendly’ and to reduce man hours, your hull # 18 is close enough to my #14 that I’d be comfortable saying their installations are probably the same.

 

This is not to say the replacement process is an ordeal, it is just difficult as much of it is done by feel and not sight. I was well trained for this by the Sunbeam Tiger I owned in high school during the  very early 1970’s. I rebuilt the engine with high performance components and installed exhaust headers. Installing spark plugs on this shoe horned engine was difficult in stock configuration. The exhaust headers increased the degree of difficulty several times over. Strictly by feel, it took me five hours to replace eight spark plugs every 5,000 miles or so. The experience came in handy changing the Climma unit. Good luck with it and I hope Amel gave you a bit more room to work with.

 

All the best,

Joel

 

           JOEL F. POTTER ~ CRUISING YACHT SPECIALIST, L.L.C.

                                         The Experienced AMEL Guy

UNSURPASSED AMEL MARKETING EXPERIENCE AND PRODUCT KNOWLEDGE

                                  Office 954-462-5869  Cell 954-812-2485

 

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dimitris Krasopoulos
Sent: Monday, September 27, 2021 7:53 AM
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Air in the cooling system of CLIMMA Aircon

 

Have a look in the webasto it is same size and it seems to me more modern design. I have replaced the cockpit Aircondition with a webasto 12000

 

Στάλθηκε από το iPhone of Dimitris Krasopoulos 

Mob Phone +306944302318

 



On Sep 27, 2021, at 12:34 PM, Lior Keydar <lior246@...> wrote:

Dear all, 

Thank you very much for the feedback.
The Pump worked as I started the AC but it became very hot and the compressor made a very strange noise. I am quite sure that this unit is in its ELF.

I am thinking to order the same new CLIMMA 9000. It is possible to find it on the market. Did anyone replace the AC on A54? Does anyone has a better recommendation for other AC unit that fit in place?

Thanks a lot for your help
Lior SHARONA, A54 #18 


Lior Keydar
 

Dear Dimitris, Dominique, and Joel

Thank you very much for your feedback. I am sure now that the right decision is to order exactly the same CLIMMA 9000 model. I just hope that it is still the same size.

I saw that It should not be easy to replace it. I just hope that the furniture is not glued and that it will be possible to take it apart with screws only.

Thanks again
Lior, SHARONA, A54 #18


Dominique Sery
 

Lior,

Changing the aft cabin air conditioning in the 54 didn't pose any major difficulties for me.  The new Climma compact 9000 has exactly the same dimensions and the same connections in the same places.  In the aft cabin, you have to remove the wooden panel where there is the air inlet opening (there are 4 wood screws to remove).  Then you have to remove the electrical connections as well as the water pipes.  Then you have to remove the fixings to the floor (4 wood screws to be removed blindly).  The unit can then be removed as a whole without any disassembly (I did this without scratching the woodwork).  For the installation of the new unit, it is the reverse procedure.

it was a bit more difficult for the saloon because the new Climma 12000 is bigger than the original.

 

Cordialement
Dominique
Irko A54#16
Kilada Greece


amelforme
 

Glad they provided more room for the aft A/C unit in boats after Amel 54 # 14. My failed A/C unit needed to be deeply deconstructed for both the removal and reinstall. Or, maybe they tried something new on my boat. Will never know as the production manager from that time period is long retired and doesn’t like to remember his working days.

 

All the best,

Joel

 

           JOEL F. POTTER ~ CRUISING YACHT SPECIALIST, L.L.C.

                                         The Experienced AMEL Guy

UNSURPASSED AMEL MARKETING EXPERIENCE AND PRODUCT KNOWLEDGE

                                  Office 954-462-5869  Cell 954-812-2485

 

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dominique Sery via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2021 2:45 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Air in the cooling system of CLIMMA Aircon

 

Lior,

Changing the aft cabin air conditioning in the 54 didn't pose any major difficulties for me.  The new Climma compact 9000 has exactly the same dimensions and the same connections in the same places.  In the aft cabin, you have to remove the wooden panel where there is the air inlet opening (there are 4 wood screws to remove).  Then you have to remove the electrical connections as well as the water pipes.  Then you have to remove the fixings to the floor (4 wood screws to be removed blindly).  The unit can then be removed as a whole without any disassembly (I did this without scratching the woodwork).  For the installation of the new unit, it is the reverse procedure.

it was a bit more difficult for the saloon because the new Climma 12000 is bigger than the original.

 

Cordialement
Dominique
Irko A54#16
Kilada Greece


Arno Luijten
 

For our boat I have changed the Climma’s for Frigomar Inverter units (http://frigomar.com/). A huge improvement. They use less power, have no startup surge and are more quiet during operation. The rear unit (10k BTU) was a bit tricky to install because of the water connections but by using some 90 degree elbows and shortening the pipes I was able to install it quite handsomely.
I replaced the rear and the center one with Frigomar, the center one is now 16kBTU. The front one was taken from the center as that one was replace just before I bought the boat with a Webasto 9k model. I find this one not very well build. Whoever came up with the idea to use a fan with steel blades in a A/C unit should have his head examined as its rusting away as we speak.

Regards,
Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121


Billy Newport
 

I'm about to swap my broken climma cws201 with a Climma DC35 inverting unit. The cws unit had a refrigerant leak by the reversing valve which turns out to be impossible or very difficult to fix. So, replace seems only option. Finding a similar sized units is challenging, Dometic don't have one. Webasto only had smaller capacity units and the DC35 (even at 35k BTU vs 20k) fits in same volume and is an inverter based unit with those advtanges. It's also double the price. Should be installed end of October, lets see how well it works.