Topics

AM54 inverter 24/220 volts

ULRICH DANGELMEYER

Hello, Amelians,
we have long been gratefully following the valuable and helpful exchange of experiences in this great round. We are happy owners of "Soleil Bleu", AM54 / 88, which is currently hibernating in Leros, Greece. We will be back on board in April.
Since we haven't known our boat in detail for so long, I have a simple question: on the AM 54 a 24/220 Volts inverter should be installed, so that 220 V can be drawn from the sockets via the batteries even without a generator or shore power. So far I haven't discovered this inverter: where is it installed and how do I activate it? At the control panel there is only a fuse for 220 V sockets. But this does not work without external power supply. Is there anything special to consider to avoid damage. Up to now, we have always switched on the generator to draw 220 V on the road.
Thanks for any good advice from you all on this topic, also as a side issue.

Best Regards and always fair winds and one hand whisky in the bilge!

Ulrich Michael & Beate
"Soleil Bleu" /AM54#88

Mohammad Shirloo

Hello and welcome to the group;

You will get to love your A54 as you get more familiar with her. A truly magnificent exploration machine.

The inverter is installed on a bulkhead in the engine room, next to the two chargers. There is a remote inverter switch on the generator panel in the galley. When not on shore power and generator is off, you can power the 220V breaker and the microwave breaker by turning the remote inverter switch on.

You should turn the remote switch on, wait for the green inverter light to come on and then turn on the breaker. Keep in mind that you need to make sure that the power draw does not exceed the capacity of your inverter. You can see what size inverter you have by checking the model on the unit in the engine room. On ours we had the 2500 W initially installed. Also keep in mind that inverter rating is temperature related and as the temperature goes up, the inverter capacity goes down. You can also find this information on the spec sheets, when you have figured out what inverter is installed. Also, do not use the toaster function of the microwave/toaster with the inverter.

This is the setup on our 54, yours may differ slightly.

I would like to point out that there are so many systems on board, that getting some training from an experience Amel owner, will help you come up to speed months and maybe years quicker and get a lot more enjoyment out of your Amel.  Without sounding like a plug, I would recommend Bill Rouse’s service. He is a knowledgeable previous Amel owner that has circumnavigated and is passionate about Amels and has assisted many on the technical aspects of our complex yachts.

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099

[...]

Mark & Debbie Mueller

The inverter you reference and Mohammad discusses may be an option that the original owner did not purchase from Amel.  We have a small inverter under the nav station that powers the entertainment system and an outlet strip installed by the first owner under the nav station for a computer and phone chargers.  The 220 volt outlets are energized only when connected to shore power or when the generator is running.
--
Mark & Debbie Mueller
Brass Ring  A54

What you speak of was an option:
image.png

On Thu, Feb 6, 2020 at 12:21 PM Mark & Debbie Mueller <brass.ring@...> wrote:
The inverter you reference and Mohammad discusses may be an option that the original owner did not purchase from Amel.  We have a small inverter under the nav station that powers the entertainment system and an outlet strip installed by the first owner under the nav station for a computer and phone chargers.  The 220 volt outlets are energized only when connected to shore power or when the generator is running.
--
Mark & Debbie Mueller
Brass Ring  A54

--
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School

View My Training Calendar
cloudHQPowered by
cloudHQ

Peter Forbes

Yup Carango is like that too - inverter under chart table but really only powerful enough to charge mobiles and laptops - no toasters/ electric drills etc.

Peter
Peter Forbes
Carango
A54#035

On Thu, 6 Feb 2020 at 18:21, Mark & Debbie Mueller <brass.ring@...> wrote:
The inverter you reference and Mohammad discusses may be an option that the original owner did not purchase from Amel.  We have a small inverter under the nav station that powers the entertainment system and an outlet strip installed by the first owner under the nav station for a computer and phone chargers.  The 220 volt outlets are energized only when connected to shore power or when the generator is running.
--
Mark & Debbie Mueller
Brass Ring  A54

--
Best wishes
Peter Forbes

ULRICH DANGELMEYER

Dear all, THX so much,
I really appreciate all your investigation and recommendation. thats all true. The previous owner obviously didn´t ordered this regular inverter from Amel.
Until today I also can´t find any special inverter switch on the Gen panel, also nothing in engine room close to the chargers. As 2 years ago our 100A Mastervolt charger died,I made the mistake not to order an Mastervolt Mass Combi Charger/Inverter. sh... happens.
The both small blue Victrons under the chart table I recognized already, just for mobil charging and onboard computers and TV set...Too slim for regular housekeeping devices, so we use a watercooker to boil our daily amount of hot water for coffee and tea. Then we keep it hot until next day in a Thermos jar.
Now if we are all together let me ask an other issue: our Corian worktop beside the sinks got a crack about 15 cm. Is there any possibility to repair or filling up with identical material without need to exchange the complete worktop? Corian is an artificial composite material, so should be able to repair from surface down?
Any suggestions and ideas are very warm welcome. THX!

Ulrich
"Soleil Bleu" /AM54/#88

Randall

Ulrich I have the repair kit somewhere on my boat. I plan to replace my counter top. but if I can find the repair kit, I will take a pic and send the info on where to order. It was ordered in the UK. it is a two part epoxy type repair kit.
I will get looking for it,

Cheers,
Randall
A-54 #56

On Fri, Feb 7, 2020 at 10:32 AM ULRICH DANGELMEYER <ulrich.dangelmeyer@...> wrote:
[...]

Hi Randall,

so good to hear from you, THY so much! I really appreciate your support and are wondering about your pics and recommendation how to do.

Best wishes and fair winds, whereever
Ulrich / „Soleil Bleu"
AM 54/#88
<>