Amel 50: Preview of my upcoming review

Amel 50: First Experience:
I have first-hand experience with many models made by Amel, including Maramu, Santorin, Mango, Super Maramu, 54, 55, and recently I was aboard a 50 for the better part of a week. All of the above models have Amel DNA throughout the yacht and in all of its systems. But, of course, each of these Amel models is different. One thing for sure, as each model was introduced by Amel, the newest model represented a major step forward for Amel and each became part of building Amel's remarkable reputation.

The Amel 50 has Henri Amel's DNA throughout the boat. In my opinion, it is not only the best Amel yacht ever produced, but I am also absolutely certain it will outperform any previous model in all categories, including downwind sailing. I realize this will ruffle some feathers because we all love our boats as I do, but until you test the 50 in every conceivable way, you cannot have an informed opinion. Amel "checked all of my boxes" when they produced the 50. The 50 is going through some minor changes as a result of great owner input and unusual builder listening.

I suspect that Amel will someday soon figure out how to achieve the production numbers with the 50 that they enjoyed with the SM. They are certainly on their way with a huge backlog of sold orders that equate to a 2.5-year waitlist.

The Amel 50 will have an important place in my Amel Book and all of the other things that I offer Amel owners.

Next week I will post a complete review of the Amel 50 on my website: www.AmelOwnersYachtSchool.com

Here is one of the many things I was impressed with. These photos show how Amel integrated solar into the 50 design. The panels glued to the Amel 50 hardtop and are Solbian Flex panels (I have recommended these for several years).
image.png
image.png

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

Jean Boucharlat

Bill,

As many other participants of this forum I am in awe of your knowledge of, experience with and dedication to the "Amel world" and I am certain that your review is well thought through. But, but, but, unless corrections have now been made by the yard, twice when I visited the 50 in La Rochelle I was taken aback by two serious flaws, for me, in its concept.

First, there was not one single storage space available in the cockpit where to put away the many bits and ends we all need or want, when at sea or at anchor, but do not want to store down below. This means that each time you need a piece of rope, a bucket, etc. you have to leave the cockpit and go to the lazarette. This was an absolute "no-no" for Henri Amel who professed that no owner of any of his boats should ever be  forced to leave the security of the cockpit, except, of course in case of dire emergency.

Second, they have placed the battery bank above the keel, at the low point of the boat. This is a common requirement of architects who believe in "centering weights". Absolute nonsense! this is the place where water is most likely to accumulate even without a major breach of the hull. Think overflowing water tank when refilling or, for us French people, a broken wine bottle or two, for whatever reason.

And, this is a personal opinion, after all these years I still believe that the ketch is a better choice both at anchor, to lie to the wind, and at sea to balance the boat, even if it means, maybe, forfeiting a quarter of a knot in speed.

Having owned two Amels, a Maramu and an SM, I remain a fervent admirer of the Amel breed up to and including the 54. After that, again in my opinion, they started building cruising boats not boats made for voyaging.

With all due respect to you and admiration for your remarkable competence and selflessness.

Jean Boucharlat

[...]

Thank you very much for your valuable comments. I am sure that you are not alone with regard to your points.

I too was concerned about the same issues you speak of, but once I experienced for myself how these were addressed by Amel and after weighing the benefits and risks of everything involved, I am absolutely 100% on board with how Amel addressed them. The Amel 50 is perfect for many people, but not everyone. The sales and current backlog are proof positive that the Amel 50 is "on target" for the current Amel market.

Best,