Topics

Amel 54 battery group

Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown

Hi,

Could someone please advise what is the original battery group for the Amel 54. My batteries are not original and I don’t think they are the correct size.

Cheers,

Paul

S/Y Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

--
Cheers
Paul

Courtney Gorman

I know you should have had AMGs I’m getting ready to replace mine.  I have lead acid and am not sure what I’m going to do

On Nov 8, 2019, at 8:15 PM, Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown <paul.dowd@...> wrote:

Hi,

Could someone please advise what is the original battery group for the Amel 54. My batteries are not original and I don’t think they are the correct size.

Cheers,

Paul

S/Y Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

Alexander Hofmann

Hi Paul, Sharon, Courtney
AMEL has changed its advice for the batteries in about 2015. They advice the AGM 12V/110Ah. I have them onboard since years and I am very satisfied. Will change them after more than 4 years in spring. The general adive is to change them each 3 years. I would reccomend to anyone to change the 13 batteries at the same time, the starter battery and the 6 pairs of 12V batteries in serie, producing 24V. AMEL dis-advices Sol/Gel batteries. See https://www.victronenergy.com/batteries/gel-and-agm-batteries
You can prolong the batteries lifetime with 6 battery balancers (see https://www.victronenergy.com/batteries/battery-balancer) which equalizes the state of charge of the 2 batteries connected.
Alexander Hofmann
SY Oceanica I - Amel 54#156

Gary Wells

When I had a failure of two batteries and ended up replacing the bank Injse grp29 AC Delco lead acids. They served quite well.
I am pretty sure that the grp27/29/30/31 are (nearly) identical in size and then differences lie ni capacity and post arrangement.
Most recently I installed a Trojan 30xhs set and am quite pleased.
It was a snug fit but they are nice batteries.
So, I said all that and you'll be looking at agm's but I wanted to try to answer the 'group number' part.
Measurements are readily available from almost any manufacturer's website. A secure for matters :) .

Gary W.
SM209, Adagio
Charleston, SC

Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown

Gary,

Thanks, yes it was the group part I was interested in. It just makes it a bit easier when researching potential replacements.

Cheers,

Paul

S/Y Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

When I had a failure of two batteries and ended up replacing the bank Injse grp29 AC Delco lead acids. They served quite well.
I am pretty sure that the grp27/29/30/31 are (nearly) identical in size and then differences lie ni capacity and post arrangement.
Most recently I installed a Trojan 30xhs set and am quite pleased.
It was a snug fit but they are nice batteries.
So, I said all that and you'll be looking at agm's but I wanted to try to answer the 'group number' part.
Measurements are readily available from almost any manufacturer's website. A secure for matters :) .

Gary W.
SM209, Adagio
Charleston, SC

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

Matt Salatino

Strange, I wonder why they are installing gel batteries on our new 50?

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Nov 9, 2019, at 9:27 AM, Alexander Hofmann <DACJ@...> wrote:

Hi Paul, Sharon, Courtney
AMEL has changed its advice for the batteries in about 2015. They advice the AGM 12V/110Ah. I have them onboard since years and I am very satisfied. Will change them after more than 4 years in spring. The general adive is to change them each 3 years. I would reccomend to anyone to change the 13 batteries at the same time, the starter battery and the 6 pairs of 12V batteries in serie, producing 24V. AMEL dis-advices Sol/Gel batteries. See https://www.victronenergy.com/batteries/gel-and-agm-batteries
You can prolong the batteries lifetime with 6 battery balancers (see https://www.victronenergy.com/batteries/battery-balancer) which equalizes the state of charge of the 2 batteries connected.
Alexander Hofmann
SY Oceanica I - Amel 54#156
<Datasheet-GEL-and-AGM-Batteries-EN.pdf>

Joerg Esdorn

It may be that they do not recommend AGM anymore.  All 55s have Mastervolt gel batteries.  Mine are fine after 4 seasons (never below 60%).  I met another Amel 55 from 2011 still with the original batteries.

Joerg Esdorn
A55 Kincsem #53
Vigo, Spain