Amel 54 Furlers

Paul Harries

I have read a lot about problems with Bamar furlers on the A54. While looking at Amel 54s for sale the vast majority seem to have the original Bamar furlers. So to my questions; how often are these furlers problematic? How many of you have upgraded? What problems caused you to upgrade.

Thanks
--
Paul Harries
Prospective Amel Buyer

Arno Luijten

This is a complicated topic.
Basically the original furlers (MEJ1) were a bit light for the boat. Bamar sort of admitted to this by offering A54 owners a deal on replacing them with more beefy ones.
I took this offer in 2018 when I bought our A54,  although both existing furlers were still functional.
The original ones can last quite a long time but need much more maintenance then the new ones  (EJF1). The new ones are also stronger (more torque).
What I do not like about the old ones us that the main bearings are designed in a way that seawater can enter because of play on the system that the seals are not able to cover. Also the MEJ1 has a belt drive and the belt needs occasional replacement. The EJF1 has a planetary gear system that is build quite sturdy and the bearings are quite strong.
So when buying an Amel 54 your problem will be assessing the state of the furlers. Ideally by taking them apart.

The new EJF1 do have a problem as well as the anodizing of the casing at the bottom is affected by the chrome bottom cover.
Some A54 had the furlers replaced by Reckmann. I think that is the best choice however eye-watering expensive. But the build quality is excellent.

I paid about 15k Euro for the replacement EJF1s (keeping the original foils) plus 4k dollar installation and new stays. Expect double the amount for Reckmann.
All in all I'm very happy with the new furlers they are very strong and smooth. I just need to do touch-ups on the casing every now and then.
Mind you there is also an electronics box below deck that controls the motor of the furler. I have heard may of them failed (including the ones on our Amel).

Kind regards,
Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

Paul,

Arno just gave you a very good answer just as I was about to press SEND. I am sending it anyway.

I will try to give you some understanding based on my limited knowledge.
Bamar and Amel couldn't agree as to causes and solutions and it seemed to me that it got to the point where the finger-pointing resulted in no joint solution between Bamar and Amel. The original MJE 1.02 (Majic Jib Furler) which was installed on both headsails on the majority of the 54s was belt-driven and not as waterproof as it should have been. That, coupled with the fact that as many as half of the 54 buyers had previously owned an Amel with probably the strongest headsail furler ever made for pleasure boats, meant imminent failure. I believe that most of these owners treated the Bamar fuler as they had treated their previous Amel-made furler. The Bamar MEJ 1.02 furler was not up to the task. Part of the evidence that this happened was that Amel installed a larger Bamar MEJ 2.02 on the genoa of the last X number of 54's made, and Amel switched to Reckmann furlers for the 55. Additionally, Bamar reached out directly to the 54 owners that they could contact with an offer to upgrade the MEJ furlers to their new gear-driven EJF furlers at a discounted cost. I believe that at least 30 Amel 54 owners took advantage of this.

Incidentally, I talked to a respected Bamar reseller who said that he sold a number of MJE furlers and never had the problems that Amel 54 owners experienced. This points to possibly the validity of my theory regarding the "previous Amel-made" headsail furler experience, or maybe most of his installations were not ketches with a large genoa. And FYI, Amel now uses ProFurl electric furlers.

And, the older the boat is the more likely it is that the owner will be faced with an expensive decision. For instance, there are almost zero parts available for the Amel-made genoa furler. Owners of these will either have to have parts machined, or will be faced with a decision to install either a Bamar EJF, a Reckmann, or a ProFurl furler. I know the Bamar EJF will work with the existing foil and stay, I think the Reckmann offers a replacement kit that will work, but I am unsure about the ProFurl.

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Mon, Jul 5, 2021 at 9:32 AM Paul Harries via groups.io <Pharries=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I have read a lot about problems with Bamar furlers on the A54. While looking at Amel 54s for sale the vast majority seem to have the original Bamar furlers. So to my questions; how often are these furlers problematic? How many of you have upgraded? What problems caused you to upgrade.

Thanks
--
Paul Harries
Prospective Amel Buyer

Denis Foster

Hello,

Bill did Amel explore using Selden Furlex 400 series furlers?

Thanks

Denis

Envoyé de mon iPhone

Denis,

I have no idea what they explored.

On Mon, Jul 5, 2021 at 12:35 PM Denis Foster <deniswfoster@...> wrote:
Hello,

Bill did Amel explore using Selden Furlex 400 series furlers?

Thanks

Denis

Envoyé de mon iPhone

Paul Harries

Thank you all
A few follow up questions
1) Are the MEJ 1.02 and MEJ 2.02 physically very different looking? Do you have pictures of both side by side to share?
2) Any guidelines on maintenance of these furlers and how to spot a poorly maintained one (greasing, galvanic etc).
3)Do belts need to be changed routinely on 1.02?
4) Any cases of these furlers letting sails unfurl in rough weather?
5) What was the eventual outcome on the control box saga for these?

I read somewhere that the MEJ 1.02 might be up to light use in Med but not to rough crossings, do you think that is true?

--
Paul Harries
Prospective Amel Buyer

ngtnewington Newington

On my 54 with MEJ 1.02
I have no problem. You have to release the sheet before reefing. Completely unload the sail, reef it, and  then sheet it in.
I have never experienced the headsail unfurling in strong winds.
Do not kid yourself about Med weather being light. It blows pretty hard here in Greece, 40 knots is to be expected in a strong Meltemi between high islands.
As for the staysail, it is small. The furler is more than adequate.
I  have no opinion on water ingress. When I bought the boat both furlers were a mess, but I put in new belts and cleaned them up. One motor needed replacement after a transatlantic  east bound, but that was probably age.
I am not saying there are not better furlers out there but if you treat the MEJ 1.02 kindly it is fine.

Nick
S/Y Amelia
AML54-019
Ikaria Gr

On 5 Jul 2021, at 21:33, Paul Harries via groups.io <Pharries@...> wrote:

Thank you all
A few follow up questions
1) Are the MEJ 1.02 and MEJ 2.02 physically very different looking? Do you have pictures of both side by side to share?
2) Any guidelines on maintenance of these furlers and how to spot a poorly maintained one (greasing, galvanic etc).
3)Do belts need to be changed routinely on 1.02?
4) Any cases of these furlers letting sails unfurl in rough weather?
5) What was the eventual outcome on the control box saga for these?

I read somewhere that the MEJ 1.02 might be up to light use in Med but not to rough crossings, do you think that is true?

--
Paul Harries
Prospective Amel Buyer

Rudolf Waldispuehl

Hi Paul et all,

I agree 100% with Nicks comment and I think it’s all about how you furl and how you treat the MEJ 1.02.

My 54 Hull nr.55 (2007) is equipped with MJE 1.02 on both headsails.

When I bought the boat 4 years ago, I greased and sealed both Furlers with proper RTV Silicone Seal. Nothing else since then. I’m sailing every year more than 9Mt  (even during Covid times).

The staysail furler got a bit noisy recently, and I think it needs a service now. But that’s normal every few years. No information about water ingress.

To summarize; - I’m happy with the Bamar furlers and never had a problem. I also carry some rubber belts from the former owner, but never had to change any.

As Nick mentioned, don’t think the wind in the MED is different. 40kn in Med has the same power as elsewhere. I faced Meltemi in Greece 2019 or Mistral last year in Corsica well over 40 kn.

Ruedi

SY-WASABI

A54-055

Von: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> im Auftrag von "ngtnewington Newington via groups.io" <ngtnewington@...>
Datum: Montag, 5. Juli 2021 um 21:26
An: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>
Betreff: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Amel 54 Furlers

[...]

Martin Birkhoff

Hi Paul,

here our experience with the Bamar furlers.

When we started to do some test sailing with our later Mago del Sur both Bamar furlers did not work. (I have to mention that the boat was totally neglected. It spend some two and a half years without any maintenance.) Within less than 24 hours the boatyard and the broker managed to get and install two brand new Bamar control boxes. Still today I am wondering how they could get two original Bamar control boxes in this short time. After this the genoa furling system did work but it made an horrible noise. The jib furling system produced some smoke signals only so we switched it off.

We bought this poor neglected baby. After we sailed her to Germany we figured out that the housing of the jib furler motor was completely filled with water. The motor was corroded totally. We got a new motor from Bamar and mounted it. The system was working from this moment on, but when we used the jib furler the control box of the jib caused an high voltage alarm after some seconds of use and stopped the system. (We never could proof any high voltage in our board net and we nevr managed ti find the faukt. The unit of the genoa furler was working fine always.) Half a year later the jib furler system broke down again. The belt was wrapped somehow in between the belt drives and one of the wheels was broken off its axis. Impossible to say what happened first.

We decided to change the furling systems completely. Bamar made a very good offer. They gave us an excellent quote of some 13.000 Euros for both the jib an d the genoa furling system (new foils, new motors, new control boxes).

But we could not become friends of these complex control units (what for?) and in my opinion the new mechanic was too complex still.

This is why we bought two Reckmann systems finally. They are a kind of stone age technique. An electric motor, an absolute simple gearbox, no electronics. The only disadvantage was the shocking price: some 30.000 Euros including all installation works and two new stays.

Since we rigged them in June 2017 we never faced any problem.

Martin
Mago del Sur - 54#40

Alexander Hofmann

Dear Bill, Arno, dear all,

being absolutely unsatisfied with the incapability of not resolving the problems with Bamar overload security system not working properly and after a handful of mostly very cold high sea ocean showers for half an hour I have been the first Amel54 owner I suppose, who has changed from Bamar to Reckmann for the Genoa and the Staysail. It was 2015, I suppose.

Did get a very good advice from another Amel owner who did it before on the Genoa.

I changed the complete equipment for not having a ‘specialized customized solution’ with the Reckmann furler and the Amel forestay (which is stronger than Reckmann). In storm case I roll the sails 3 times around the forestay and this is absolutely sufficient.

For repair work somewhere in the world it is always easier to have the original and complete systems installed. So I would propose anybody to change the system completely.

Never I have had any problem with Reckmann furler. Even if the furler engine would fail you can roll / unroll with the winch handle without any operation before.

Not cheap, definitely, but excellent components, I would always take the same decision again!

Thank you to Reckmann for a good support when changing the system with Secteur Blanc / Franck Chivé in La Rochelle. I did not contact Reckmann again, due to the absence of any problem!

Best regards

Alexander Hofmann, SY Oceanica I, Amel54#156

Peter Forbes

Hi Paul,

We fitted Reckmann too and had no problems during our circumnavigation or after. The Reckmann is very powerful and gives us a great felling of confidence and security - for us well worth the high price. And of course its a beautiful yacht so worth the investment.

Peter
Carango
Amel 54 #035
La Rochelle
07836 209730

On 5 Jul 2021, at 23:18, Martin Birkhoff <mbirkhoff@...> wrote:

[...]

Geo Uhrich

Hello,

Can someone tell me what furlers on on the 50?

On Tue, Jul 6, 2021 at 11:24 AM Peter Forbes <ppsforbes@...> wrote:
[...]

Jamie Wendell

Just to chime in on this discussion, on my A54, I replaced the original MEJ1.02 on the genoa with a Reckman while in Martinique a couple of years ago. Expensive - yes indeed, but absolutely bulletproof. The original Bamar would not handle high loads and eventually locked up from internal corrosion - even though I had it serviced the year before.
I retained the staysail MEJ1.02 and have had to replace the motor and belt gears since then. It is still grinding a bit and now quite noisy, so it too needs to be serviced. But, it seems to be powerful enough for the job when it works. I really do not like the belt-drive approach, but the staysail is not a major concern to me. I would definitely like a new EFJ but cannot justify the expense at this point. A Reckman for the staysail would be nice, but ouch....
Jamie
Phantom, A54 #44

Randall Walker

I also have the same Reckman/Genoa and Bamar mej1.02/staysail setup on my 54, and have to say the Reckman is top notch.
This was done by the previous owner who invested in quality, throughout.
The staysail furler would be swapped out for the Reckman if ever it fails, or I find one on a wrecked boat being scrapped. But for now I’m happy.

Randall
A54#56
ALBEDO
Grenada

On Tue, Jul 6, 2021 at 09:52 Jamie Wendell <mysticshadow54@...> wrote:
[...]

Germain Jean-Pierre

Hello Ulrich,

I’ve been told the A50 uses Facnor furlers

A friend refitted his yacht with some and they work well.

Cheers

Jean-Pierre Germain, Eleuthera, SM007, NZ

On 6/07/2021, at 9:09 PM, Geo Uhrich <lingeouhr@...> wrote:

[...]

JP,

ProFurl on the 50 I was aboard recently.
image.png

On Tue, Jul 6, 2021 at 9:52 AM Germain Jean-Pierre <jp.germain45@...> wrote:
[...]

Jean Boucharlat

Hello J.P. and Bill,

May be you're both right!

In fact Profurl and Facnor are now brands of Groupe Wichard, famous for its shackles, etc.,which bought both companies.

Jean Boucharlat

[...]

Sv Garulfo

Hi all,

When we bought our a54 in 2016, the previous owner had already changes the genoa furler to Reckmann. He kept the Bamar MEJ 1.02 for the staysail. He left a number of spare/used Bamar control boxes onboard.

Since then, we had no issues with the Reckmann, despite our inexperience with electric furlers. We try to treat it gently, removing as much power from the sail when furling in, without it flapping too much either.

Initially we had cases of the thermal protection tripping because the rolled genaker would get caught in the furler.

We broke the belt in the bamar staysail furler once, but that was because of my own stupidity. It was easy enough to replace. Have some spares.

We have mainly sailed downwind in the last 4 years, so haven’t used the staysail much, so it hasn’t been used in anger and seems sufficient.

I’d be interested in feedback, knowledge and opinion about why Amel decided to:
1. Discontinue the Amel built furlers after the SM? They seemed perfectly fit for purpose.
2. Stop using the Reckmann furlers after the 55. Again, users seem satisfied with them.

Hope that will give more information about this subject.

Best,

Thomas
GARULFO
A54-122
Tahiti

Ps: Having sailed half way around the world now, and being originally a med sailor, I can tell you the Med has delivered the worst seas and wind conditions I have ever seen. Maybe the (slightly pejorative, imho) reference to “a boat for the Med” refers to proximity of shelter and support.

On 6 Jul 2021, at 05:40, Jean Boucharlat <jean.boucharlat@...> wrote:

Hello J.P. and Bill,

May be you're both right!

In fact Profurl and Facnor are now brands of Groupe Wichard, famous for its shackles, etc.,which bought both companies.

Jean Boucharlat

ProFurl on the 50 I was aboard recently.
<image001.png>

[...]

Thanks for that. When JP posted this I looked at Facnor and found their electric furlers to look very much like Profurl. I wonder who was first?😀 See below

image.png