Amel 54 masthead tricolour light

David Crisp

Want to buy and fit LED bulbs to the tricolour masthead light on Wilna Grace - Amel 54  #58.  I believe the fitting is the original one and that it's an Aqua Signal series 40, but can anyone confirm that is the standard fit please?
--
David Crisp
SV Wilna Grace

David,

I cannot, but I will warn you that I believe the tricolor fixture changed during the production of the 54. It started with Aqua Signal 40, but I believe changed to something else. I suggest that you check what you have, or you may be disappointed.

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Mon, Feb 8, 2021 at 11:24 AM David Crisp <david@...> wrote:
Want to buy and fit LED bulbs to the tricolour masthead light on Wilna Grace - Amel 54  #58.  I believe the fitting is the original one and that it's an Aqua Signal series 40, but can anyone confirm that is the standard fit please?
--
David Crisp
SV Wilna Grace
Amel 54 #58

Martin Birkhoff

Edited

Hi David,
we sail #40 and she was fitted with an Aqua Signal series 40 tricolor masthead light. We wanted to change to LED too. Controlling the conditions on the masttop we figured out that the original mounting of this tricolor light caused some masking and reduced the visibility to certain angles. We added a support of some 20 cm to set the tricolor light higher and free of any masking and mounted a Hella LED tricolor with anchor light. Product-No. 2LT 980 650-001.

Martin
SY Mago del Sur - 54#40

Karen Smith

I know people do it all the time, but it is generally a bad idea to install LEDs into red and green navigation light fixtures designed for incandescent bulbs, like the Aqua Signal Series 40.

LEDs retrofitted into these fixtures typically do not give the designed brightness with the colored lenses.  "White" LEDs are not truly broad spectrum white light, but actually produce a series of narrow cut frequencies that, when averaged together by our eyes, appear to be white.  The problem is that these bands do not necessarily line up well with the colored lenses that are used to filter the light from an incandescent bulb, so less light, sometimes a LOT less, gets out of the lens than would be true with an incandescent bulb of the same nominal brightness.

You will rarely get the hoped for designed life out of an LED retrofitted into a fixture that is not hermetically sealed.  Lastly, there is the issue of VHF radio interference that is frequently poorly controlled with retrofit bulbs.

If you want to go to LED bulbs, and that is certainly a very good idea for a lot of reasons, it is far better to switch to a fixture designed for them.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Charleston, SC, USA

This is what I installed in Aqua Signal 40. It is from Dr LED and I believe that it overcomes most if not all of the issues that Bill K described.
image.png

On Mon, Feb 8, 2021 at 6:47 PM Karen Smith via groups.io <karenharmonie=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Mark Erdos

If there is any noticeable RFI caused by an LED, a snap on ferrite at each end of the power source should do the trick. If possible buy only LED’s with a FCC Part 18 compliance rating. It is worth noting a few year ago, ARRL published a white paper on RFI and bulbs. It was found “bulbs have generally not proven to be a significant source of RFI”

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

www.creampuff.us

[...]

One more note on this. If you are replacing an incandescent bulb with an LED be sure to use the correct color to avoid the filtering effect Bill K. mentions. i.e. A red LED goes into a portside light with a red lens (do not use the white LED). This will help keep the light bright.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff

www.creampuff.us

[...]

Matt Salatino

Several years ago, on our previous boat, we installed an OGM LED combo anchor/tricolor mast head light. OGM was supplying to the military, who subsequently put out a warning about LED navigation lights creating radio interference.
Whenever the anchor light came on (photocell controlled), we had to squelch the VHF radio, quite a bit. The LEDs made quite the racket on the VHF, significantly reducing its range.
We had this problem until we replaced it with  Signalmate unit. It was radio silent.

~~~⛵️~~~Matt Salatino A50#27, Speed of Life

On Feb 8, 2021, at 10:20 PM, Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

If there is any noticeable RFI caused by an LED, a snap on ferrite at each end of the power source should do the trick. If possible buy only LED’s with a FCC Part 18 compliance rating. It is worth noting a few year ago, ARRL published a white paper on RFI and bulbs. It was found “bulbs have generally not proven to be a significant source of RFI”

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

www.creampuff.us

This is what I installed in Aqua Signal 40. It is from Dr LED and I believe that it overcomes most if not all of the issues that Bill K described.

<image001.png>

[...]

Scott SV Tengah

On A54 #69, I installed this replacement bulb:

https://store.marinebeam.com/indexed-bayonet-tri-color-led-bulb-for-aqua-signal-series-40/

Works like a charm and far brighter than the original LEDs. I did the test for noise, which involves turning your VHF on, with LED off, and adjusting squelch to the point where it eliminates background noise. Then I turn on the LED to see if noise shows up through the previously set squelch setting. If it does, the LED generates noise that the VHF can pick up. For this bulb, it did not. No other deleterious effects that I have noticed.

For the anchor light, I also installed this bulb:

https://store.marinebeam.com/dusk-to-dawn-automatic-photocell-led-anchor-light-bulb/

It's worked great for 2 years already. When we anchor, I just leave the 24v mooring light switch "on" and the light turns on/off automatically as advertised.

I would suggest bending the tabs a bit on the light fixture and adding some silicone grease. Our tabs were a bit "tired" and also had some very very light surface corrosion.

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69

David Crisp

Thanks for all the input.  FYI I've gone ahead and bought from this UK sight (they ship internationally) https://boatlamps.co.uk/. Their product is 12-30V rated so no problem with over voltage and they seem conscious of the need for minimising EMI.

--
David Crisp
SV Wilna Grace

Matt Salatino

Scott, you point out the single weakness of LED replacement bulbs:
The socket of the original fixture.
It’s great that you’re having good luck, but occasionally, for those not paying attention as you did, corrosion and wear can provoke a trip up the mast to “jiggle” the bulb. LED fixtures are hard wired, with no suspect connections......

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Feb 9, 2021, at 1:27 AM, Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...> wrote:

[...]

Michael & Robyn

Greetings!

Just a reminder for boats registered in certain nations putting an LED light bulb into a regular navigation light socket it looses its certification (BSH or Wheel) which might get one in trouble.
We replaced our Aqua Signal Tricolor/Anchor/Flash Light with a Series 34 Tricolor Anchor light and it did fit the existing socket.
The hint with the obstruction is something I will have to check next time up there.
--
Michael & Robyn

SY RIPPLE SM2K # 417

Scott SV Tengah

Is this a problem with the regular incandescent bulbs that have been used in these fixtures for time eternal? I was just being double belts-and-suspenders by bending the tabs and adding silicone grease, but I haven't heard of many other Amel with intermittent bulb issues on the masthead? I considered replacing the fixture with a full LED one but (1) it's over 20x the cost of a bulb (2) I was trying to minimize the work involved at the masthead. :)

For our combo Aqua Signal bow nav light, I have to say it was a poor choice by Amel. It's not even IP67 rated - I think it's only rated for dust, not water ingress. A completely different design than the masthead fixture. On hard upwind legs, water kept getting in and damaging the bulb. We greased the little foam seal, even tried sealing it with Sikaflex 295UV, everything. I ended up going for a sealed unit from Marinebeam that fits the custom stainless mount that Amel welded on for the OEM Aqua Signal. It was 20% of the cost of an equivalent Aqua Signal and after a 2900nm upwind sail (not my favorite passage of all time), the bow light is still functioning perfectly.

The masthead LED bulb has lasted 15,000 nm with no issues. That includes the 2900nm upwind sail and a near direct hit by TS Dorian.

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69