Amel 55 - captain's seat

Joan Blaas

Hello,

I just got an Amel after owning X-Yachts and Albin Express before.

Has any of.the other Amel 55 owners made any modifications to the captain's seat? With my 185cm height it's really to small for me to sit comfortably. There is no way to adjust the seat.. My back starts to hurt when sailing.... That's not good.  It seems the seat is designed for smaller french people. Sorry guys. :-)

I wonder if any other owners recognise this problem.

Kind regards,

Joan
Amel55

Alex BAIZEAU

We might be small but probably smart enough to try to sit at the helm once before spending a million dollar on a boat. Sorry guys :-)

On Tue, Nov 23, 2021 at 2:09 AM Joan Blaas <joan.blaas@...> wrote:
Hello,

I just got an Amel after owning X-Yachts and Albin Express before.

Has any of.the other Amel 55 owners made any modifications to the captain's seat? With my 185cm height it's really to small for me to sit comfortably. There is no way to adjust the seat.. My back starts to hurt when sailing.... That's not good.  It seems the seat is designed for smaller french people. Sorry guys. :-)

I wonder if any other owners recognise this problem.

Kind regards,

Joan
Amel55

PAOLO CUNEO

Hi all,
Nice and amusing the exchange between Joan and Alex . I am Italian and, according to the current stereotype, presumably even smaller than a Frenchman. As it is, I happen to be 187 cm, and the helm seat of my SM, which seemed acceptable to me 12 years ago when I bought it, is starting to give me serious problems especially on long overnight passages. Short, if someone has modified the seat or found a way to replace it with one of the slightly more ergonomic ones on the market, while maintaining the convenience of the folding table, I would be interested to know.
Bests
Paolo Cuneo
SM 454 Whisper

Inviato da iPad

--
Paolo Cuneo
SM 454 Whisper

Joan Blaas

Alex, I guess you are right! I felt in love with the Amel too quickly. But it's definitely not a one night stand so I need to find a comfortable seating position.:-)

Joan
Amel55 - Caconano

Colin - ex SV Island Pearl

Nice to see all the humour and good spirit here. Let me add to this thread to show we are all different, and possible Captain Henry did get it right. I am 6ft3in / 1.93m tall and for me that Amel SM2K "Captain's Chair" was simply fantastic!

Whilst it would certainly be different from the 54, and 55, the SM2K we owned and loved for 9 years and circumnavigated in (see some of our tracks here https://forecast.predictwind.com/tracking/display/IslandPearl2/), the helm chair was one of the standout features of comfort at sea which would bring me back to purchase another SM in the future if the new seat designs are not as good.

Being taller, what I always did was to remove the Amel original rear back support cushion making me totally comfortable, and in tight manoeuvring situations (eg at the start of the video link below at notorious Dolphin Lagoon pass in the Maldives), or to get more breeze in hot sweltery tropics such as Maldives/ Chagos Areas, and parts of SE Asia, was to sit on the rear on top of the backrest where vision was great and breezes cooled one down nicely.  The Admiral and some of our shorter crew (in the Indian and South Pacific Ocean crossings) also always had their favourite comfort positions in that chair too by immediately replacing the backrest cushion, and/or adding some of the copious numbers of small sofa cushions we had on the yacht to keep them from slipping in the chair. We all loved that chair!

Being a tall person, the only slight gripes I ever had with the Amel SM design was the length of the bunks and rear bed (we changed it to a sideways large King bed, and loved that), and also the Amel original Bimini being a bit low, with no forward vision/window/airflow over the top of the windscreen. This was easily solved by lifting the front profile of the bimini to create more head height, and most importantly to create a window looking over the top of the windscreen.

Should we ever purchase another Amel SM, if we are lucky enough to find a good one when the time comes, then I would immediately add a very nicely designed cockpit hardcover system for better sun/rain/heat protection. That, and the above two items is all I would change!

Colin
ex Amel SM2K SV Island Pearl II

On Wed, Nov 24, 2021 at 8:31 AM Joan Blaas <joan.blaas@...> wrote:
Alex, I guess you are right! I felt in love with the Amel too quickly. But it's definitely not a one night stand so I need to find a comfortable seating position.:-)

Joan
Amel55 - Caconano

--
Colin Streeter
0411 016 445

Joerg Esdorn

Joan, I'm sorry you're having trouble with the A55 helmsman seat.  I'm 5'10" and find the seat quite comfortable.  When sailing longer distances heeled, I often sit sideways in the seat with my feet up on the cockpit table and have a number of small sofa cushions in my back to increase comfort.

If the moderators permit, I'd also would like to make a point of order.  I personally find it annoying that many questions about an issue or problem with the newer boats on this forum draw an answer from one or more of the many owners of older boats to the effect that their boats are really very superior and don't have the particular issue or problem the newer boats have.  I think this site could really do without those types of comments.  They do not help us all improve our experiences with our boats, clutter up the site and make it more difficult to find the answers we're looking for.  I eliminated the SM from my consideration after being on one for a couple of hours.  But I'm not trashing the SM because something I didn't like about it.
Just my five cents.

Joerg Esdorn
A55 #53 Kincsem
Currently in La Rochelle

Bruno COTTE

Agreed totally I am a little bit more than 6 foot and no problem at the wheel of my A 55#63
As Sup up I consider the 54 better than the super maramu and the 55 better than the 54. With the A 60 and A 60 there is a change of global philosophy so it is almost impossible to compare ….

Envoyé de mon iPhone

Le 24 nov. 2021 à 17:54, Joerg Esdorn via groups.io <jhe1313@...> a écrit :

[...]

I am sure that Judy and I are not alone with what we did on passages. Most of the time we were not in the SM helm seat, rather we sat elsewhere in the cockpit. That said, we appreciated the design and engineering of the SM helm seat in heavy weather and especially a cyclone. That basic design is the foundation of the helm seat design for the SN, 54, 55, 64, 50, and 60. The 50 & 60 have the added features of an adjustable and swivel helm seat. The progression from the SM to the 50/60 helm seat is very clear to me. Each new Amel model improved the original helm seat from the previous models.

Some unique and especially beneficial designs and features in all Amel models are not immediately understandable. In fact, some of them took me years to completely understand.

This is the helm seat on an Amel 54. This photo says much about the Amel Helm Seat.