Topics

Amel 55 hatch door cannot be locked from inside

Billy Newport

Anyone seen this. The companion way door locks and unlocks normally with the key. If locked with the key then you can unlock using the inside "knob". But, I cannot lock it from inside. The "knob" is like locked in place but when i lock with the key, it does slide down just fine. This was working fine until this week, I'm been lock/unlocking it from inside since getting the boat.

Is there a child safety thing which has a mode disabling locking from inside the boat possibly that I accidentally enabled?

Amel 55#56.

John Clanton

Billy,

I have never experienced what you are describing.  I have always wished that when the interior lock nub is moved into the locked position, it would have a tactile or audible click assuring that it is actually locked.  Since it doesn’t, I can’t help but test the handles each time to make sure they don’t slide open.

I haven’t been on the boat for 11 months and 15 days thanks to the Covid, but seem to recall an access port around the interior locking mechanism???

Please update the group when you find the issue and solution so that we can have that in the knowledge base.

John W. Clanton

Devereux, A55, No. 65

Hopefully still in Antibes, France

Disclaimer

The information contained in this communication from the sender is confidential. It is intended solely for use by the recipient and others authorized to receive it. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information is strictly prohibited.

Billy Newport

So I just un"blocked" it. Looking at the door from inside the boat. I moved the right hand sliding lock slightly to the left until the nub can be moved down. It's as if it's over too far or something and jamming the nub from moving down. As I moved the sliding lock to the left I pressed on the nub and suddenly after 1-2mm of lock bar going left, the nub went down and then it went back to normal. Go figure but I'll take it. So, the theory is somehow the right hand lock bar jammed the nub somehow. It's back to normal for now.

I tried removing that access panel but the nub prevents it from being removed and I didn't know whether to pull the nub off or unscrew it off etc so I couldn't remove the panel.