Topics

Amel 55 Steering Cable Information and Supplier

Paul Stascavage

Good day all.

A friend of ours and non forum member has an Amel 55 and needs to replace their steering cables. Amel told them the suppler is no longer available. I remember reading that owners were having trouble getting steering parts from Amel but I thought that was for older boats and I also thought Amel resolved that issue?  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. They are currently in either the Grenadines or Grenada.

All the best.

Paul Stascavage
SM 466.
S/V Rita Kathryn

RitaKathryn.com

Currently Cruising The Bahamas

Every 55 I have seen has hydraulic steering...no cables...Like other things maybe some of the first 55s had cables, but I don't think so.

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School

View My Training Calendar
cloudHQPowered by
cloudHQ

On Sun, Feb 9, 2020 at 11:47 AM Paul Stascavage via Groups.Io <pstas2003=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Good day all.

A friend of ours and non forum member has an Amel 55 and needs to replace their steering cables. Amel told them the suppler is no longer available. I remember reading that owners were having trouble getting steering parts from Amel but I thought that was for older boats and I also thought Amel resolved that issue?  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. They are currently in either the Grenadines or Grenada.

All the best.

Paul Stascavage
SM 466.
S/V Rita Kathryn

RitaKathryn.com

Currently Cruising The Bahamas

Joerg Esdorn

Bill, they went to hydraulic steering somewhere around #50 - mine was one of the first boats with hydraulic steering.  Paul, sorry but I have no information on your request.

Joerg Esdorn
A55 #53
Kincsem, currently on the hard in Vigo, Spain

Paul Stascavage

Thank you for your responses Bill and Joerg.  Their Hull Number is 009, so apparently you must be correct Joerg regarding the changeover from earlier to later hull numbers.  I was mistaken with regard to their location.  They were in Martinique.  The service center was able to effect some kind of repair to get them operational, but they do still need to source replacements.  If anyone has any additional information it would be greatly appreciated.